Just applied for the Seaman Apprenticeship-I have a few questions though.

So i have just applied for the seaman apprenticeship earlier today and am quite excited. However i have a few questions.

Is the only medical requirement being able to pass the ENG1 medical? I ask since i got rejected by the army due to a mild case of aspergers and i cant join the military branches of the navy due to being on anti depressants. According to a few maritime doctors i have spoken too over email, the aspergers and anti depressants are taken on a case by case basis. So i could still pass the ENG1 medical. I am quite over weight too but im working on that, i am still fairly fit even though im a fat arse.

About how long does it take from applying to starting your training? I am going to college in September but id leave to join the RFA if my application is successful. I was also wondering what the living conditions are like in training? I dont care about being in a dormitory type situation but id like to be able to have privacy while having a shower. Dont really want to shower with a bunch of other sweaty blokes. Thats leads to my next question too, about how many are in an intake? Would there be a few 17-19 year olds since i am 17 myself.

What are conditions like for LGBT members? I am gay myself and i dont particularly want to hide it from the other sailors on boards since i have hid it most of my life, however i wont go on about it obnoxiously either.

Do you get trained in basic weapon skills with things such as a GPMG as a deck hand? A mate in the RFA said he did but be does have a bit of a reputation for telling stories and bending the truth.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
So i have just applied for the seaman apprenticeship earlier today and am quite excited. However i have a few questions.

Is the only medical requirement being able to pass the ENG1 medical? I ask since i got rejected by the army due to a mild case of aspergers and i cant join the military branches of the navy due to being on anti depressants. According to a few maritime doctors i have spoken too over email, the aspergers and anti depressants are taken on a case by case basis. So i could still pass the ENG1 medical. I am quite over weight too but im working on that, i am still fairly fit even though im a fat arse.

About how long does it take from applying to starting your training? I am going to college in September but id leave to join the RFA if my application is successful. I was also wondering what the living conditions are like in training? I dont care about being in a dormitory type situation but id like to be able to have privacy while having a shower. Dont really want to shower with a bunch of other sweaty blokes. Thats leads to my next question too, about how many are in an intake? Would there be a few 17-19 year olds since i am 17 myself.

What are conditions like for LGBT members? I am gay myself and i dont particularly want to hide it from the other sailors on boards since i have hid it most of my life, however i wont go on about it obnoxiously either.

Do you get trained in basic weapon skills with things such as a GPMG as a deck hand? A mate in the RFA said he did but be does have a bit of a reputation for telling stories and bending the truth.

Thanks for reading :)
Only from reading previous posts I understand that you will share a mess(dorm) with 6 people , not sure on the shower arrangements but I am guessing the showers will be individual cubicles.

Cant comment on the ENG1 but if you pass its a pass!

Being gay isnt an issue dont hide it, plenty of LGBT people in the RFA and RN.

GPMG training is provided.

Good luck!

Only from reading previous posts I understand that you will share a mess(dorm) with 6 people , not sure on the shower arrangements but I am guessing the showers will be individual cubicles.

Cant comment on the ENG1 but if you pass its a pass!

Being gay isnt an issue dont hide it, plenty of LGBT people in the RFA and RN.

GPMG training is provided.

Good luck!
Thanks alot :) Just got to wait now. I hope it isnt to long before they contact me but i did only apply last week.

So don’t. A pass may not be a pass. Restrictions can apply. The OP’s concerns may be addressed in the Approved Doctors’ Guide which has been mentioned once or twice ( a day ).

The LG bit of LGBT is addressed here.
After checking out the Approved Doctors’ Guide it seems like i should be fine since my aspergers and depression are mild but id have to wait until i actually see the doctor about the ENG1.

So don’t. A pass may not be a pass. Restrictions can apply. The OP’s concerns may be addressed in the Approved Doctors’ Guide which has been mentioned once or twice ( a day ).

The LG bit of LGBT is addressed here.
Then that isn't a pass then is it? a pass with restrictions is exactly that, however if you pass with zero restrictions then you have passed. Pretty simple shipmate...bit like yourself...lol

Seadog

War Hero
Then that isn't a pass then is it? a pass with restrictions is exactly that, however if you pass with zero restrictions then you have passed. Pretty simple shipmate...bit like yourself...lol
If your colour vision is “unsuitable for lookout duties” and your ENG1 is endorsed as such, if you’re a Steward you may consider that a pass. A Seaman Apprentice with the same restriction - and his employer / prospective employer -may consider it a fail.

Or a Chief Officer with a dicky ticker may be restricted to the shallow ends of the oceans. She’s on a PSV out of Aberdeen,an easy medivac distance so she still has a job, pass. Alternatively if she’s employed ‘deep sea’ she and her employer may feel that she’s failed. A P45 would confirm it.

Cant comment on the ENG1 ...
Yet here you are, with opinions pulled directly from your arrse.

You may understand when and if
( big if ) you enter a domain where the ENG1 is required. Right now you’re an ex RN ringbolt Kicker who may mistakenly think that the RFA will be lucky to have him/her.

If your colour vision is “unsuitable for lookout duties” and your ENG1 is endorsed as such, if you’re a Steward you may consider that a pass. A Seaman Apprentice with the same restriction - and his employer / prospective employer -may consider it a fail.

Or a Chief Officer with a dicky ticker may be restricted to the shallow ends of the oceans. She’s on a PSV out of Aberdeen,an easy medivac distance so she still has a job, pass. Alternatively if she’s employed ‘deep sea’ she and her employer may feel that she’s failed. A P45 would confirm it.

Yet here you are, with opinions pulled directly from your arrse.

You may understand when and if
( big if ) you enter a domain where the ENG1 is required. Right now you’re an ex RN ringbolt Kicker who may mistakenly think that the RFA will be lucky to have him/her.
So basically it all depends on what role you do and what kind of ship you work on?

Latest Threads