Just Applied for RFA

I have also recently (mid May 2015) applied for seaman apprentice and motorman 1, got called up and got my head tested at Wolverhampton yesterday, got reply same afternoon to say I passed. But beyond myself giving a pat on my own back (well done), its not the first approach that I have made to join the RFA, prior atempts have yielded nothing, perhaps it was my method (or their methods) this time around that hit. And who knows what fiery hoops I will have to pass to get to the naxt level, I am very hopeful, as i have always craved a life at sea to serve my (our) country, as I am sure is how you feel. So don't give up, I did pester them from time to time, whether that was it who knows, but didn't hurt (I don't think)
Good luck to all that want to join, I'm not there either so I'm saving a little luck for myself as well.

Little update, i failed the Test by 1 point.... I was told I got 9 in the maths section where I needed 10. The RN have asked me to come into the AFCO today because they would like to show me what jobs are available on their side but tbh if nothing stands out ill just try again next year. Bloody annoyed thou

dstn87

Midshipman
Bad luck mate. I think you can retake the RT after 10 days... But knowing what the RFA are like, you'd probably need to start a whole new application!

Little update, i failed the Test by 1 point.... I was told I got 9 in the maths section where I needed 10. The RN have asked me to come into the AFCO today because they would like to show me what jobs are available on their side but tbh if nothing stands out ill just try again next year. Bloody annoyed thou

That will be none then...

Can a RN Rating RT pass be transferred over to RFA?

Or would an application to the RFA begin from scratch and require a new RT to be taken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sat my test today for engineering apprentice. Received an email from rfa an hour later saying I have passed the entry level for royal fleet? Does this mean for royal fleet itself basic. Or engineering??

Squashedbanana..it's all the same RT if it's valid that will be used I was told. But depending on your pass mark?

Also my RN advisor at the local afco sat me down and give me a list of which I passed for in the RN if not successful in the RFA which surprisingly the engineer wasn't on! So my guess is that they have a higher pass rate not being an apprenticeship ??

dstn87

Midshipman
The pass mark will be relevant to the position you applied for. So if its engineering apprentice, then you've got the required score. Im im the same position (chef apprentice) just waiting to hear back on whether i get an interview or not

How long have you been waiting now then? I know the wait from test to start for the RN for my post is around 6 months. So I'm going off that to hear back! Good luck BTW!

dstn87

Midshipman
Thanks. Did the RT on 6th may, got the letter the following week. Going by what ive seen on here, im not expecting to hear back for another week/2 weeks

yeah I had heard at least 4 - 5 weeks from a few people!
I was told the RN itself for engineering was 5-6 month so if its anything on that its a while

dstn87

Midshipman
Best of luck. If you're doing engineering, you'll be sent to hms sultan in gosport. Im local to the area so i'll advise you... If anyone suggests going to Emma's, be careful. Its famous in these parts for being a dive haha!

DT1001

Midshipman
Can anyone who's had a sift interview give me any information on it please. I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me the best sources of information about the RFA as I don't think the Navy website gives much detail. Thank you.

5oclockhero

Lantern Swinger
Can anyone who's had a sift interview give me any information on it please. I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me the best sources of information about the RFA as I don't think the Navy website gives much detail. Thank you.
Wikipedia can tell you what you need to know about the ships (names, numbers, type, crew numbers etc.) Marine Traffic is a good website to tell you what ship is where in the world. Any question you can think of has probably been asked and answered on this site, so use the search function for more info as well.
Good luck with your application.

No not get. I did email a while back and they said if successful interviews will be October time. So I think they will send out info around August time... What about you what stage you at

Still waiting to hear back. I heard that someome going for the same position as me was given a September start date. So im hoping for the same!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J RFA 7
Dannielle RFA 33
B RFA 18