Just a Thought

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by bigbaddog, Jun 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A different view of the beach on a Summers day, some 63 years ago today.

2. Heroes one and all!!!
  3. what a sobering thought, really makes you think whilst sat here in the office warm and dry, wishing for a M&M
  4. A sobering thought indeed........
  5. Sure I read somewhere that over 5,000 Allied servicemen died on D-day alone.
  6. On D-Day, the Allies landed around 156,000 troops in Normandy. The American forces landed numbered 73,000: 23,250 on Utah Beach, 34,250 on Omaha Beach, and 15,500 airborne troops. In the British and Canadian sector, 83,115 troops were landed (61,715 of them British): 24,970 on Gold Beach, 21,400 on Juno Beach, 28,845 on Sword Beach, and 7900 airborne troops.

11,590 aircraft were available to support the landings. On D-Day, Allied aircraft flew 14,674 sorties, and 127 were lost.

In the airborne landings on both flanks of the beaches, 2395 aircraft and 867 gliders of the RAF and USAAF were used on D-Day.

Operation Neptune involved huge naval forces, including 6939 vessels: 1213 naval combat ships, 4126 landing ships and landing craft, 736 ancillary craft and 864 merchant vessels. Some 195,700 personnel were assigned to Operation Neptune: 52,889 US, 112,824 British, and 4988 from other Allied countries.

By the end of 11 June (D + 5), 326,547 troops, 54,186 vehicles and 104,428 tons of supplies had been landed on the beaches.
  7. Day of days.
  8. My brother was there. 6th Airborne, Royal Artillery, landing in gliders.
    He also crossed the Rhine in gliders and finished up near Hamburg.
    Never got a scratch. After VE day they came home and while they were doing parachute training training,ready for the Far East, he broke his leg.
  9. Lets hope we never have to go through anything like that again.
  10. A rather amusing little dit - during DDay50 we were on Plymouth Hoe for the commemoration. My father was resplendent in his Russian Convoy white beret, copious medals and smart blazer. Around us were many, many Normandy vets all equally smart.

The Evening Herald wanted a sailor to hold a picture of a stamp that the Royal Mail were bringing out - HMS WARSPITE, and to my father's embarrasment he was chosen. They did a small piece to go with the pic, and asked him what he had done on DDay, he said that he was alongside in Devonport, having done his bit (what he did not say was that as well as the Russian Convoys he had also been torpedoed twice in the Med on the Malta convoys). The piece duly went into the Evening Herald and he did not get much stick from the other Normandy vets for stealing their thunder on their special day!
  11. D-Day was considered as part of the Battle of Normandy and lasted until August 25, 1944.

57,200 dead,
    173,000 wounded or missing
  12. Jars - The old folk in my village remembered very vividly the lines of young GI's as they moved out of Mount Edgcumbe and onto the ships in Plymouth Sound. The wreaths laid on Remembrance Day always included these young men.

Commando Memorial Spean Bridge

[align=center]The Song of the Dead

We have fed our sea for a thousand years
    And she calls us, still unfed,
    Though there's never a wave of all her waves
    But marks our English dead:
    We have strawed our best to the weed's unrest,
    To the shark and the sheering gull.
    If blood be the price of admiralty,
    Lord God, we ha' paid in full![/align]

13. My Grandfather went to basic training in england, 90% of which went ashore on Omaha beach and refused to discuss the matter further, and refused to watch Saving Private Ryan.

Can't say as i blame him; i still can't watch BlackHawk Down.
  14. Bergs

I was at the commando memorial 2 weeks ago mate. Still brings a tear to my eye everytime i go there.

15. My late Dad landed on D-Day with the Hampshire Regiment - he was always so proud of doing so, but was reluctant to talk about it: when I started reading about it after he died, I found it was because so many of the lads who were brought home after fighting in North Africa, Sicily and Italy for nearly tree years, to have a few months leave and then invade Europe after all they'd done, and then to be thrown into it all again, proved a little too much for him. He never attended any Regimental reunion, but always attended the Remembrance Day Parade.
  16. as a member of the USMC (inactive of course), i always have the greatest contempt for the USN.

That is, until i read about this right here about 10 years ago. here's the quote from wikipedia.com about Omaha beach during D-Day:

"Several Allied destroyers improvised an attack on the German positions, nearly running aground to get past the smoke to open fire on the bluffs, cutting off the German defenders from retreating and receiving reinforcements."
  17. I believe that one of the destroyers that went right inshore to have a pop at the German shore batteries was the USS GLENNON, which hit a mine and I think was lost: my Dad had all the respect in the world for those afloat who supported him ashore - even 2 weeks after D-day, when they were still trying to get inland, and were grateful for Naval Gunfire Support - 15 inch shells tended to do all sorts of harm to German tanks , even Mk 6s...
  18. gotta love them sometimes - battleship fire can really ruin your opponents day.

still hate the bastards for leaving us at Guadacanal though...