Just a quicky

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MBeehan, Mar 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't expect a reply lol

Say I've been in the Navy for 2 years what are the chances of changing service say to the RAF or the Army?

Is it easy/hard to do?
  2. Interservice transfer isnt easy.

If I am correct most have to leave the current service to rejoin another
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Go for it, forget the RAF they dont count as being military. The Navy is the Senior service so can transfer to the army, pongos dont have the same luxury, you'll have to go back through basic training so the army training team has someone in their intake who has knowledge and know how about soap and basic hygiene.

I've just made up the above sentence, good isn't it. The Ninja will be along shortly to sort your question for you, best of luck.
  4. MB

I'm a little bit puzzled by this as you are currently waiting to start Basic.

Why, at this point, would you be considering trying to jump ship (metaphorically) after two years in the RN?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Once you complete phase two trade training, you normally have 2.5 years Return of Service [R0s] to complete. (Apart from Nursies & CT's who do 3.5 years RoS).

The reason for this is whilst the job maybe entertaining, it costs a lot of money to train the individual, so we want our pound of flesh.

After completing the RoS you are free to submit 12 months notice to quit, or if you wish to chance your arm, apply to transfer to another service.

Several things have to happen to be able to transfer - the service you intend joining has to have training vacancies, the service which your leaving has to have a manpower surplus in your trade, you have to have an exemplary service record & be recommended further service. In all cases, you should expect to start from scratch, including starting on New Entry rate of pay (although there may occasionally be exceptions such as joining the RAF, where you train them! :wink: ) & undergoing the relevant service basic training before undergoing your second (expensive) trade training.

We do have a fair few people, colloquially termed "serial applicators" (geddit?) who think they are going to serve in the Navy, Army & Airforce but generally they very often get prescribed a large pill with the letters Foxtrot Oscar after the initial transfer. Very often, those that achieve all three multiple service transfers and "collect the set" are the most insufferable bores you'd ever wish to meet & sprout random medals upon each transfer in the hope that no-one in the next service realises they weren't there.

*...pauses for one to prove my point*
  6. This must be a bite, surely?????
  7. You can fcuk right off being a smartarse with your recent history.
  8. Ah, colloquially known as the When I's.

Twat's to a man
  9. Yeah I'm waiting for Basic. next March or April!! Can't wait!!

I was just asking because I was watching something.
    as some guy was in the RAF Police and Transferred to the Royal Marines. And wonder how he did it!

My Ambitions in the Navy is to try to be in Navy Police (Please kill me now) and do the All Arms Commando Course.

Oh I'm joining as Seaman Spec.
  10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I love this site!!!!!
  12. witsend

14. witsend

15. Fuckin hell I'd be careful what you wish for around here. 8O :wink:
  16. I'm just glad to know there's plenty of action to be had on ship!
  17. witsend

The things on holiday at some nudist colony chomping at some bit of nutty. No action here, move along, move along.
  18. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

19. This isn't going to end well for me here, is it?

Can I make like the French and surrendor now? I'm not entirely sure I can out-wit a group of experienced navy guys when it comes to repressed (or in this case blatant) homosexual implications.