Just a quick question about the royal navy these days.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
thats alot in 6 years that, hopefully ill get to go the same places meself.

Work hard on course and if you finish near the top, they might let you choose your first ship. I was lucky, I was always able to choose my drafts, probably because I did OK in my exams and I also give a cracking nosh.

There used to be a list of all the ship's longcasts in the travel office at Collingwood, I simply had a browse through that and looked at which ships were doing the best deployments.

Like I said, I was lucky, most of the time you don't get to choose your draft and you might end up on a ship that is in refit, followed by work up, BOST and a Gulf trip. Whatever happens, embrace it, you are living the dream.

Rumrat

War Hero
Just did a quick cursory count, and I made it 65ish destinations in about 60 countries. But as I am constantly told on here I am a doddering old twat, I may have forgotten the odd place. Whilst typing I remember leaving Malta off my list. (Not a hard place to forget)
I will make a concerted effort to catalog my places of incursion. I bet the locals in a few places still remember me, I doubt with much affection, but still I would take this opportunity to say hello, to all my little indiscretions, who by now will be well advanced in years.

Hi kids this is dad, hope you are all well, no need to thank me for your dark good looks.
You wouldn't have liked England anyway, and coconuts are good for your skin.;-P

Waspie

War Hero
Easier to say, I never main, China, Soviet Union and South America.

Other than that pretty much everywhere else including 13 months shore side in Singapore.

capt caine

Badgeman
AS previous posts pretty much pot luck, ships program an area situation,,,some of the rarer places i went to, included ,St Helena, Port St louis Mauritius,Gan in Maldives,Mahe in Seychelles,Palau tioman, Labuan,Tawau ,Tsavo national park,catching a flight from Nairobi,after Mombasa, ,Ft lauderdale ,strangest one for a matelot, was Lo Wu, ain't included far east, in my day,bods would kill ti avoid a two year stretch out there,now i s'pose reverse would be true,twixt early 64 n mid 72 managed 5 years out the Far east,stopped counting after 22 trips to Borneo, mind you Subic Bay in Phillipines,was especially designed for depraved matelots like Rumrat, , just hope for the best we all had our moment in time, tho find it hard to equate,size of Fleet today,when you have seen 20 boats rafted up in Haslar Creek,and 3 carriers alongside in Singas ,Eagle,Victorious,Bulwark,an 4000 plus matelots on the lash ,all in rig of course,no civvies allowed then. 1, 2, 3, say AAH

France
Holland
Gib. many times
Cyprus.6 months mostly patrolling and picking up the odd refugee.
Malta.Many times including 6 month amp after the above.
Several ports that I cant remember the name of but they were all about 25'c below freezing (cod war x2)
Just about every port in the UK but I wont name them for fear of incriminating myself.
Missed a lot of the ones previously mentioned but still had a great time and would do it all over again.
As with my learned friend Rummers, I've probably forgotten one or two but the clouds of time...........................

Rumrat

War Hero
AS previous posts pretty much pot luck, ships program an area situation,,,some of the rarer places i went to, included ,St Helena, Port St louis Mauritius,Gan in Maldives,Mahe in Seychelles,Palau tioman, Labuan,Tawau ,Tsavo national park,catching a flight from Nairobi,after Mombasa, ,Ft lauderdale ,strangest one for a matelot, was Lo Wu, ain't included far east, in my day,bods would kill ti avoid a two year stretch out there,now i s'pose reverse would be true,twixt early 64 n mid 72 managed 5 years out the Far east,stopped counting after 22 trips to Borneo, mind you Subic Bay in Phillipines,was especially designed for depraved matelots like Rumrat, , just hope for the best we all had our moment in time, tho find it hard to equate,size of Fleet today,when you have seen 20 boats rafted up in Haslar Creek,and 3 carriers alongside in Singas ,Eagle,Victorious,Bulwark,an 4000 plus matelots on the lash ,all in rig of course,no civvies allowed then. 1, 2, 3, say AAH

Sorry to dispel the myth of my depravity in Olongapo (subic to the none geographical types ) but I was a baby sailor when I first went there and in the company of the wifes brother the second so no chance with a white rat about.
But then of course there were no exhibitions, brothels, or smally boys around the far east was there? Sembawang was just churches, and then of course there was the nunnery at neesoon just on virgins corner..;-P

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Sorry to dispel the myth of my depravity in Olongapo (subic to the none geographical types ) but I was a baby sailor when I first went there and in the company of the wifes brother the second so no chance with a white rat about.
But then of course there were no exhibitions, brothels, or smally boys around the far east was there? Sembawang was just churches, and then of course there was the nunnery at neesoon just on virgins corner..;-P

And the Reeperbahn, Bugis Street and the Gut were shopping centres. :toothy3:

capt caine

Badgeman
Absolutely,Sembawang church had its own choir,Nee Soon,was the Tiffanies of Singapore,bespoke watches at bargain prices,and where Bansky learnt his art from one J.Gurkha,
Reeperbahn was a holding area and training camp for young ladies,Bugis street was similar place for gender confused young ladies whose stubble came through there their make up,and the Gut of Malta, was the real location of the Hovis advert Location.Amazing the info you can copy and paste from a michelin map.Course for the deeps ratings,even you ain't been to Singas ,HMS/M Andrew did complete with gun mounting on fore casing,during confrontation.Of course this draft was only for the toughest of Boats Gunners, rather than well scrubbed game boy players, but if you know better.............. said gun can still be seen at Gosport Sub museum.This was same era when boats had pennant numbers on fin,as pointed out earlier,it helped you know where home was. as when several were rafted up together,it was impossible to tell one black ba*sta*rd boat from t'other, on account they all looked the same.

Rumrat

War Hero
St Helena was a very nice place, not exactly a "jack" run ashore though.
I ended up sponsoring a young lady of the age of 8 and kept in touch all the years until I finally met her again in 1989 when she was 29.
I did at least manage one good deed then Bob.
Do I get any browny points?