Just a quick question about the royal navy these days.

After long chats with my old granddad he used to tell me story's about the navy when he was in it years ago during ww2 and in the 50's-60's i think, he used to tell me places he went and and the great life it was.

He told me he went to Australia, Canada, south Africa, new Zealand, around the west Indies , cant remember the other places he told me about.

My question is how similar is the navy these days in regards to traveling the world?

of course we are fighting wars on numerous fronts, but in peace time would it be a realistic expectation to be able to do some decent traveling as a bonus? and before anyone asks i did not want join the royal navy just to see the world, i could do that with a rucksack, although it would be a nice to do it with the navy.

Sorry if this question is abit daft.

Cheers

Illuminati

My other half is in the Navy, and he's done most of the globe - with the exception of the Caribbean and the Far East. I thought I was well-travelled till I met him... trying to find a holiday destination that neither of us have already been to is impossible, so yeah, there's plenty of travel - where to is obviously dependent on the ships' programme etc etc.

In my 5 years before being medically turfed out in 2006:

France, Spain, Gib, Italy + Sicily & Sardinia, Crete, Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Brazil, Falklands, Chile, British Antarctic Territories, USA...

So, yes.

I did,

Gib
Malta
Egypt
Oman
Djbouti
Singapore
Hong Kong
Phillipines
Australia
India
Germany
Holland
Denmark
Norway
Finland
Poland
Canada
States (Florida, Arizona, California, Nevada (Special base), Nebraska)
Azores (11 times)
Burmuda (4 times)
Peurto Rico
Afganistan (twice)

No bad for a Wafu!!! I must add a lot of this was done by Crab air and not a great deal by pussers grey!!!

How much you see of these places will depend (unless it has changed recently) on the branch you are in.
Yes I visited lots of places pretty much worldwide but as an RO I worked pretty much constant watches. So, time off to explore was limited.
Others in branches that did not work watches had much more free time.
The best I did was two years on the smallest ship in the fleet. I didn't work watches and saw just about every harbour between Pompey and Jersey many times, almost intimately, and it was fantastic, the best two years anyone could imagine.
This world travelling may not be all it is cracked up to be - depending on your branch!

G

guestm

I'v been pretty much everywhere apart form both Poles, Australia and South East Asia. Anywhere else with a port, I've had a crack at smashing up. And I'm a "modern day" matelot.

I also now have Deja Vu.

I did,

Gib
Malta
Egypt
Oman
Djbouti
Singapore
Hong Kong
Phillipines
Australia
India
Germany
Holland
Denmark
Norway
Finland
Poland
Canada
States (Florida, Arizona, California, Nevada (Special base), Nebraska)
Azores (11 times)
Burmuda (4 times)
Peurto Rico
Afganistan (twice)

No bad for a Wafu!!! I must add a lot of this was done by Crab air and not a great deal by pussers grey!!!
And Carlisle.

Have done rather well:

Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Poland
France (including Sardinia)
Spain
Portugal
Monaco
Italy (including Sicily & Sardinia)
Germany
Greece (including Crete, Corfu, Rhodes)
Turkey
Cyprus
Gibraltar
Israel
Algeria
Egypt
Netherlands
Belgium
Djibouti
Kenya
Diego Garcia
South Korea
Singapore
Malaysia (including Pilau Tiomen)
Hong Kong
Japan
Qatar
Kuwait
UAE (Abu Dabi, Dubai, Sharjah)
Oman
Bahrain
Pakistan
Peru
Panama
Ecuador
USA - Florida & Georgia
Canada
Falkland Islands
Barbados
St Kitts
Martinique
Montserat
Virgin Islands
Puerto Rico
Acension Island
South Georgia

3 years in Cyprus
Currently a year into a 2.5 year draft to Maryland, USA.

Think thats about it - I'm not complaining.

Fingers crossed I probably won't go back to sea!

Sussex that sucks, being in a nice exotic country but not being allowed out.. I'm going in as CIS which is the modern day r.o I believe.. Any CIS care to comment on their travel and if they always get stuck on the ship?

As a navy chef what are the opportunities to get out and explore if your ship is at a foreign port? someone told me being a navy chef is quite time demanding job compared to other jobs on-board???

Cheers

Graf

Lantern Swinger
As a navy chef what are the opportunities to get out and explore if your ship is at a foreign port? someone told me being a navy chef is quite time demanding job compared to other jobs on-board???

Cheers
The chefs get as much time as everyone else to explore.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk