Just a quick question about the royal navy these days.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Illuminati, May 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After long chats with my old granddad he used to tell me story's about the navy when he was in it years ago during ww2 and in the 50's-60's i think, he used to tell me places he went and and the great life it was.

He told me he went to Australia, Canada, south Africa, new Zealand, around the west Indies , cant remember the other places he told me about.

My question is how similar is the navy these days in regards to traveling the world?

of course we are fighting wars on numerous fronts, but in peace time would it be a realistic expectation to be able to do some decent traveling as a bonus? and before anyone asks i did not want join the royal navy just to see the world, i could do that with a rucksack, although it would be a nice to do it with the navy.

Sorry if this question is abit daft.

Cheers

Illuminati

2. LMM

LMM

My other half is in the Navy, and he's done most of the globe - with the exception of the Caribbean and the Far East. I thought I was well-travelled till I met him... trying to find a holiday destination that neither of us have already been to is impossible, so yeah, there's plenty of travel - where to is obviously dependent on the ships' programme etc etc.

3. In my 5 years before being medically turfed out in 2006:

France, Spain, Gib, Italy + Sicily & Sardinia, Crete, Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Brazil, Falklands, Chile, British Antarctic Territories, USA...

So, yes.

4. I've been just about most places apart from the Far East, never made it out there...bummer

5. I did,

Gib
    Malta
    Egypt
    Oman
    Djbouti
    Singapore
    Hong Kong
    Phillipines
    Australia
    India
    Germany
    Holland
    Denmark
    Norway
    Finland
    Poland
    Canada
    States (Florida, Arizona, California, Nevada (Special base), Nebraska)
    Azores (11 times)
    Burmuda (4 times)
    Peurto Rico
    Afganistan (twice)

No bad for a Wafu!!! I must add a lot of this was done by Crab air and not a great deal by pussers grey!!!

6. How much you see of these places will depend (unless it has changed recently) on the branch you are in.
    Yes I visited lots of places pretty much worldwide but as an RO I worked pretty much constant watches. So, time off to explore was limited.
    Others in branches that did not work watches had much more free time.
    The best I did was two years on the smallest ship in the fleet. I didn't work watches and saw just about every harbour between Pompey and Jersey many times, almost intimately, and it was fantastic, the best two years anyone could imagine.
    This world travelling may not be all it is cracked up to be - depending on your branch!

7. I'v been pretty much everywhere apart form both Poles, Australia and South East Asia. Anywhere else with a port, I've had a crack at smashing up. And I'm a "modern day" matelot.

I also now have Deja Vu.

8. And Carlisle.

9. Have done rather well:

Denmark
    Norway
    Sweden
    Finland
    Poland
    France (including Sardinia)
    Spain
    Portugal
    Monaco
    Italy (including Sicily & Sardinia)
    Germany
    Greece (including Crete, Corfu, Rhodes)
    Turkey
    Cyprus
    Gibraltar
    Israel
    Algeria
    Egypt
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Djibouti
    Kenya
    Diego Garcia
    South Korea
    Singapore
    Malaysia (including Pilau Tiomen)
    Hong Kong
    Japan
    Qatar
    Kuwait
    UAE (Abu Dabi, Dubai, Sharjah)
    Oman
    Bahrain
    Pakistan
    Peru
    Panama
    Ecuador
    USA - Florida & Georgia
    Canada
    Falkland Islands
    Barbados
    St Kitts
    Martinique
    Montserat
    Virgin Islands
    Puerto Rico
    Acension Island
    South Georgia

3 years in Cyprus
    Currently a year into a 2.5 year draft to Maryland, USA.

Think thats about it - I'm not complaining.

Fingers crossed I probably won't go back to sea!

10. As I suspected, a freshwater sailor.:laughing2:

Mind I must admit I never got to deja vu, although I have a feeling I have.:-D

11. Barrack Stanchion :pottytrain2:

12. I wondered, yes I wondered.
    Mind when you were in you had to be careful, they hadn't yet established you couldn't fall off the edge.:laughing2:

13. Not many places I haven't been with the mob to be honest and too long a list to type out on my phone

14. Sussex that sucks, being in a nice exotic country but not being allowed out.. I'm going in as CIS which is the modern day r.o I believe.. Any CIS care to comment on their travel and if they always get stuck on the ship?

15. ha ha I'm guessing your going in as CIS :thumright:

16. Yes as stated. What are you laughing at?

17. Go easy on him, 'tis quite a rarity to see someone at RR who has chosen his/her IQ level as a User Name.:winkrazz:

18. As a navy chef what are the opportunities to get out and explore if your ship is at a foreign port? someone told me being a navy chef is quite time demanding job compared to other jobs on-board???

Cheers

19. The chefs get as much time as everyone else to explore.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

20. how about WS?