Just a query or two!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by robbiet7, May 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I go to HMS Raleigh in just less than 3 weeks, and ive got a couple of questions that im struggling to get the answers for on here!

1- I have a submariner medical when I first get there which I hear is different to my pre-joining one, and I dont think I will but what if I fail that? do I get moved to surface fleet or sent home?

2, My advisor at the RN careers office said I would be entitled to GYHP because I own a home in yorks! Do I get this from day 1 or from the end of training?

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are advised to contact your AFCO (link below) rather than rely on anecdotal advice elsewhere.

Get You Home pay, under current regulations is usually only paid once you are on the trained strength. Those in training are not exactly likely to be going home much in the first ten weeks & may be entitled to early years travel warrants if required.

Generally those failing the Submariner Medical upon joining, subject to still being passed fit for general service may be offered the chance to transfer to an alternative trade for which they otherwise meet the eligibility & medical criteria - if there is a vacancy available in the immediate short term. If there is not a vacant training place then they may be medically discharged, pending a vacancy in their new chosen branch.

again, double check with your AFCO.
  3. Does anyone know what this submariner medical involves that isn't in the pre joining medical that i have already had? I don't remember them saying anything about it at the AFCO. I blew into a thingy during my medical, but surely if my lung capacity wasn't enough he would have told me?
    I am as smoker but i can run 2.4k in about 10 minutes, should i be worried? (more than i already am!)
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  4. Thats a point, can submariners be smokers???
  5. No. You are not allowed to be a submariner if you are a smoker.

Really. It's the truth.
  6. At one time, it was hard to be a non-smoker if you were a submariner.
  7. Cheers chaps. I am aware that you are not allowed to smoke on submarines.
    I have gone from 30 to 3 a day over the last 3 months and am ready for basic training. Anyone know anything about the submariner medical?
  8. YES! It is the medical which submariners have and is normally done in a sickbay by some medics and maybe even a doctor!
  9. Hi all!, I thought it would be easier on here to ask a quick question rather than going a long distance to my AFCO. I suscribed my inhaler in 2009 during july... I was wondering would it be possible to apply for the Royal navy when ive waited till im 18 next year in january or do i have to wait longer than that??. Much regards, Ryan.
  10. Depends on lots of things, including why you were "subscribed" an inhaler in the first place. Search for "asthma" - you'll find the answers. If you can't cope with the search function then let me know and I'll regurgitate it again.
  11. Can you explain what exactly the submariner medical involves that is different to the pre joining medical i have already done? Or is it the same?
  12. RhysJJ - NO!!! It's a medical examination. You cannot prepare for it. Worry about something else.
  13. Hi again, I know that you have to wait 4 years before you can apply but if you havent used your inhaler in the last 3 years, do you think it will be worth applying in january when i turn 18, it wont be the exact date from when i got suscribed it but as i have no problems with my breathing now... what do you think i should do ?.... Regards Ryan
  14. angrydoc's reply not sufficient then?
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There you go, there's a clue in your own post
  16. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"RhysJJ - NO!!! It's a medical examination. You cannot prepare for it. Worry about something else. "

technically speaking he could prepare for it by not doing anything which endangers his life or limbs such as cordless bungee jumping, but I think thats a step too far ;-)