Just a little question.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tegr17, Jul 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been down to my AFCO and applied for a WS(SM) role. I was told that after serving a good while as a submariner, I would be able to transfer to the fleet. I'm just wondering is it likely that I would be able to transfer to the fleet?

2. It may be possible to transfer to GS but not likely. It depends on whether the SM branch manager can spare you or the GS branch manager wants you. If the branch is full in GS your stuck or on a long waiting list. There's all the hassle of retraining you so, yes, it's possible but probably unlikely.

There again if you don't ask you don't get.

3. Thanks for the helpful answers guys. I had to know as I'm planning on making a career out of the RN and through time I plan on having a family so GN would be a lot easier. As I've already applied for a SM role is it possible to change to a GS one?

4. think you best contact your careers office, i wouldn't base your decision solely on the replies you get on here good as they may be. i branch transferred from WS(SM) to WE(SM) a few years ago. i do know people who have branch transferred out of the submarine service but generally they go to sideways entry branches not available to the lad coming in off the street. i have seen them go to trades like photographer, RN police or physical training instructor.

good luck