Just a few questions!

Hello, I start training at Raleigh this month and I'm joining as an AET, I'm looking at trying to get to a junglie squadron after I complete training. Does anyone know how long you sign up for initially as an AET? Also does anyone have any tips for training? I've heard you can get yourself onto an accelerated promotion scheme if you work hard, is this true?How likely if I was to do really well at training is this, or is it just insentive to work hard, thank you in advance!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hello, I start training at Raleigh this month and I'm joining as an AET, I'm looking at trying to get to a junglie squadron after I complete training. Does anyone know how long you sign up for initially as an AET? Also does anyone have any tips for training? I've heard you can get yourself onto an accelerated promotion scheme if you work hard, is this true?How likely if I was to do really well at training is this, or is it just insentive to work hard, thank you in advance!
I'm amazed people do not know how long their contract is - It's an interview question & everyone joining will have been given an (S3049) Attestation Form which outlines the contract of employment.

I'll use a bigger font for the hard of hearing, just in case ;)

The initial contract is 12 years, increasing to 20 years if promoted to or above Leading Rate during the initial period.

After joining and signing the Attestation Form at HMS Raleigh, individuals must serve a minimum of 28 days, after which they can opt out up to week 26. After week 26, they must complete training and then 30 months Return of Service (RoS) before eligible to submit 12 months notice to quit.

For AET this means, if the person doesn't wrap in the first 6 months, they must serve a minimum of: 10 months (Phase 1 & 2 training) + 30 months (RoS) + 12 months notice = 52 months minimum.

As an AET, you'll do plenty of maths during training and spend a lot of time in the classroom.

If you score consistently high in all technical exams throughout training (of which there are many), you could be placed on an accelerated advancement scheme - all will be explained upon entry.

Best of luck - make the most of the opportunity & enjoy your career.