Just a few questions about joining and MCD.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by toby2789rower, Oct 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i've sent an application form off as instructed to after my informal chat to become an MCD. Is this the correct way of doing things, and how long would it generally be before I hear a response? Or have I cocked things up at the first hurdle?!

Also would it be worth getting a few diving lessons in place, as although I used to swim for my borough and thoroughly enjoyed snorkelling, it probably isn't enough experience to see whether it's for me!

2. Hello mate, I am currently applying for MCD aswell.

You should hear in a few days/weeks and be invited for a psychometric test.

Regarding your other query, the answer is yes, get some diving experience. If you discover you hate diving in a swimming pool your gunna feel a bit silly having applied for MCD. Also, as the MCD recruitment will be competetive, any extra experience you get is going to benefit you and your application.

All the best, hopefully see you in the fleet!
  3. Work on your upper body strength but be aware that you will be spending a lot of time swimming on the surface on your back in a sitting position while wearing a dry bag and fins in order to develop your stamina. Lie on the floor on your back, lift your legs 20 degrees in the air, then move them up and down alternately from the waist while keeping them straight. Now imagine the effect of the water's drag on the vertical movement of your fins. Diving involves quite a few different muscles to normal swimming but exercising your pelvic and thigh muscles in this manner should help prepare you. Even better, do it in water with fins on. Just don't splash as this is regarded as 'girly'.
  4. Ok thanks alot, my upper body's fine as i've been training for about 3 years and also row (as the name suggests)

So forming an 'L' shape in the water is the practice for swimming then?

Cheers guys
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya Toby,

Welcome to the site.

You are entirely correct with regard submitting your application forms & no, you haven't "cocked-up" fella.

As with any job, it's a good plan to have at least a "taster", so in your case, having a go at sub-aqua diving would definitely being a good starting point- you may not like it.

Generally RN divers are, much as it galls me to admit, VERY fit.

You need to start working on your fitness now, layering your exercises,rather than later. You should aim, gradually, to be able to complete a 1000 metre, open water swim, followed by a 4.8Km run in under 22.5 minutes. You need to practice close-arm press-ups, back-handed-pull-ups, knees-together sit-ups & squat-thrusts daily-small amounts initially, increasing through repetitions over several months, rather than weeks.

In simple terms if you do not enjoy fitness as a recreational activity, forget being a Diver.

Best of luck to you!
  6. It is on the surface when you're wearing a bulky diving set on your back and need to keep your face clear of the water. However, practicing this also helps develop strength and stamina for when you are underwater too, particularly if you're swimming against a strong tidal stream or current. It also helps with the mud runs.
  7. Alright that's brilliant!

I do alot of biomechanics which sort of comes hand in hand with rowing and also alot of powerlifting which I enjoy as a second sport really.

Ok i'll have a crack at the longer runs, swimming technique and get myself a diving course booked!

Thanks alot for the feedback

8. P.S. Toby - To learn something of the background, ethos and current activities of the Minewarfare and Clearance Diving branches (as an MCD you would become a member of both), take a look through the MCDOA website at www.mcdoa.org.uk.
  9. they make you do dips as well I've been told ;)