Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Junior Training Establishments

The messes changed names quite frequently, from various stories I've heard. I was there in 67 and we had Eagle, Tiger, Dreadnought and another 5 I don't remember.

harryaitch said:
The Annexe.Now there's a word to instill dread and loathing in any Ganges boy. 8O .The winter of 62/63 was a pretty bad one more snow than the artic.I recall standing under the mast on the parade ground in this weather sewing the red silk into name tags on items of uniform that I had failed to complete in the time given by our Sirs :( After about an hour every thing was getting soggy and it was difficult to see due to the snow.As I was the only junior enduring this fate the novelty value of this seem to amuse my fellow inmates.Anyhow the J.I relented and I was returned to the bossom of my messmates to continue my 'housewife' duties in the warm. :)
Memory of the Annexe is fainter than that of main camp,maybe due to the shock and confusion of what was going on around on a daily basis.

One aspect of this was no doors on the heads stall doors,bowel movements were infrequent that first week until you got used to the idea
that privacy was no longer a part of your life. :oops:

I cant remember the names of the messdecks in the annexe.Does anyone recall. :?:

So much for your first, tentative lessons in teamwork. Obviously the JI had not learned that he should be encouraging those who had finished on time to help you out - though I should have expected your Chief to do this! I just think your JI was enjoying abusing his new found power, a trait he now doubt picked up from some of the NCOs. In 1966-67 they did not make people sew their names in chain stitch any more, or maybe they did for some branches and not others? JROs didn't have to nor JMEMs - at least not those occupying the SCW.

No doors in the cubicles in the heads - what a hardship. I had heard that this was the case but again it may have varied with which bits of G you were in, or perhaps when you were in!

It's a pity the BBC documentary on Ganges filmed in 1959-60 (The Navy's Youngest Sailors) didn't show what really went on - it might have actually prevented some kids from leading a miserable existence in the place by detering them from joining in the first place! :idea:

harryaitch said:
The Annexe.Now there's a word to instill dread and loathing in any Ganges boy. 8O .The winter of 62/63 was a pretty bad one more snow than the artic.I recall standing under the mast on the parade ground in this weather sewing the red silk into name tags on items of uniform that I had failed to complete in the time given by our Sirs :( After about an hour every thing was getting soggy and it was difficult to see due to the snow.As I was the only junior enduring this fate the novelty value of this seem to amuse my fellow inmates.Anyhow the J.I relented and I was returned to the bossom of my messmates to continue my 'housewife' duties in the warm. :)
Memory of the Annexe is fainter than that of main camp,maybe due to the shock and confusion of what was going on around on a daily basis.

One aspect of this was no doors on the heads stall doors,bowel movements were infrequent that first week until you got used to the idea
that privacy was no longer a part of your life. :oops:

I cant remember the names of the messdecks in the annexe.Does anyone recall. :?:

I remember Agincourt - suffered there March 62

NozzyNozzer said:
In 1966-67 they did not make people sew their names in chain stitch any more, or maybe they did for some branches and not others? JROs didn't have to nor JMEMs - at least not those occupying the SCW.

I joined April 67 and was a JS in the Annex and a JRO once I crossed the road - Drake Div, SCW - but I certainly did the red chain stitch thing while in the Annex, at least in blue suits, scarf, burberry, No.8s and some other things.
gangesboysmall.jpg

Geoff_Wessex said:
NozzyNozzer said:
In 1966-67 they did not make people sew their names in chain stitch any more, or maybe they did for some branches and not others? JROs didn't have to nor JMEMs - at least not those occupying the SCW.

I joined April 67 and was a JS in the Annex and a JRO once I crossed the road - Drake Div, SCW - but I certainly did the red chain stitch thing while in the Annex, at least in blue suits, scarf, burberry, No.8s and some other things.

Bloody hell, I'm going senile! :oops: :lol: Does moose milk cure senility?

Going strong after 44 years - I still have the following bits of Ganges issued kit:

1. Attache Case (Brown) - in the garage full of "come in handy" bits and pieces.
2. My "housewife" - unfortunately no red silk left in it!
3. Shoe brushes - still in regular use.

Having read the Ganges dits over quite a few years now, I'm glad that for once in my life I took some advice. The Chief in the recruiting office at Exeter advised me to wait until I was 16 years 3 months old so that I would join as a JRO but go to Mercury and not Ganges.
Thanks Chiefy

any wafus out there that remember the traing base at nuneaton,hms gamecock rnas bramcote,didnt have seperate messes for juniorsas for the name all air bases were named after birds, yes even hms twatt was a bird.

You'd have loved it, Janner! Well OK, you'd have fond memories of it, at least. Was checking out the Ganges site the other day and they have reunions in USA, Canada, NZ, Oz as well as the UK - they must have found something in Ganges that gave them a strong bond - a bit like going through the Blitz, I suppose....

One thing it gave me was the knack of climbing ropes....... no way was I a gymnast at Ganges, but you HAD TO be able to climb a rope (and hold your arms out wide at the top) before they'd let you out. I couldn't do it at all until the final Exam day and it just became a mind over matter thing - I went up like I'd been doing it for years. 14 years later, on PO Leadership Course at Royal Arthur, in the Gym, 'Staff' asked who'd been to Ganges... Up went about five hands... "Right, show us how to climb a rope then" And up we all went, like we'd been doing it every day since we left Shotley.

Yep , I was a posh St Vincent junior. Did a trip to Ganges with the St. Vincent swimming team. Preferred St Vincent -- the mast was a lot smaller!!
Ist class of Jem and at 15 and a half going into that enviroment was definately an eye opener.

However--at that age you were totally open to suggestion from the instructors. So you did what you were told. A new life.
I think three guys got out in the new entry block --back to Mummy but the rest of us kept going .

Three meals a day- always something to keep your mind occupied and a lot of learning.

I think it was a good grounding and it gave me a start into the big wide world and the RN .

And don't forget the swimming test with PTI's on the side with big poles to shove you out again if you reached for the side of the baths. Had trouble passing it until I was told no leave until I did.

By the way there is nearly 4,000 members world wide making it the biggest ex service association. Now, if anyone had said, while we were there that we join an association commemorating our time there, we would have had them locked up

Tingara said:
i joined up at 15 and one half ,HMAS LEEUWIN , got an ex Ganges lad at my work,what happened to the button boy?

I was surprised when I first heard about Leeuwin/Tingira. How could any civilized nation, especially Australia, attempt to reproduce such a feudal place as Ganges. Incidentally, am I correct in pronouncing Leeuwin as 'Lewin'?

exped to wicken fen.Three boats nine boys one bootneck,off for a weekend to clear the reed beds on wicken fen.Great trip going up in one of ganges cutters,three men in a boat,cox and two crew.at least I think it was called a cutter,it had one sail and oars.Being a wafu a boats a boat.

It was nice to escape the ganges regime and fun was had by all,including the bootie telling his tall tales around a campfire.The trip back was all rowing and no sailing due to lack of a fair wind.Anyone else do this exped?

Latest Threads