Julia - Trying to trace my Father's WW2 record

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Julia, Aug 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope that i am posting this in the right place!

My Father Harry Mitchell joined the Royal navy on 19th February 1943 I believe. His rank at the time was Schoolmaster Candidate on HMS Drake. His Naval ID card was issued at RNB Devonport.

I believe that he was on the Russian Convoys during WW2 and his ship was torpedoed. He spent some time in Reykjavik in hospital following that incident. I understand that his rank at one time was Lieutenant Commander and once the war was over he joined the RNVR for several years. I have a certificate dated 28.6.1954 showing that he was appointed Instructor Lieutenant in the RNVR.

I really have very little information, but believe that he also visited the Far East at some time. I would be grateful for any help that you could give me.

His DOB was 11.7.13 and date of death 14.4.2000

Many thanks

Julia

2. It would be helpful if you could post his Official number. Should start DJX/090etc or something similar, it will be on the ID card.Sweetpea and Soliel are quite good authorities on the naval history topics. Think you could PM them if you get no response from anyone else.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Try working through Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Personnel | Service Records | Making a Request for Information held on the Personnel Records of Deceased Service Personnel and Home Guard records

Just click on the blue bit and give what info you can. Costs £30 which is not refundable if nothing turns up and there may be a long wait of weeks, even months as the wheel grind slowly away.

Depending on where you live, you could check his final status, if he was an officer, in the Navy List, runs of which can be found in the National Archives at Kew and in portsmouth Central Library (top floor). Need ID for both. This will yield a year by year track on any officer.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  4. I have his Naval Identity Card which gives only the no. 94680 on Navy Form S1511. On the back of the form there is a title OFFICIAL ENDORSEMENTS with a stamp HMS Waxwing. I also have a Naval Pay and Identity Book S.43A. with no numbers issued by the Supply Officer on 10th August 1949 H>M>S> Vincent. To Harry Mitchell Instructor Lieutenant RNVR. Hope this helps.

Many thanks

Julia

5. Will try the Archives at Portsmouth as I live in Bournemouth.
    Many thanks

6. Julia

Seaweed is spot on with his suggestion.

These are the two forms which you need. Print them out, fill them in, add the documentation and payment requested then send them to the Disclosure Cell at Portsmouth. Any problems, you can speak to the Disclosure Cell on 02392 62 8667.

By the way, this is the only way in which Service Records for the period covered by your father's dates of service can be obtained.

Here you go:

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6C8F..._service_details_nok_application_part1_v5.pdf

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/66F6...or_service_details_rnrm_application_part2.pdf

7. PS I have access to the Navy Lists - if I have the opportunity to, next week, I shall consult them for you and let you know what I find.

That will save you a trip.

8. Nice to see you back!

9. Many thanks!

10. Julia

Many thanks

11. Julia+++I hope that the following is of some help.+++April 1943 ------- Drake ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm Cdte ------- 12 Feb 43+++June 1943 ------- Waxwing ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm Cdte ------- do.+++Oct 1943 ------- Waxwing ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm (proby) ------- do.+++Feb 1944 ------- Waxwing ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm (proby) ------- do.+++April 1944 ------- Waxwing ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++June 1944 ------- Waxwing ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++Oct 1944 ------- Helicon ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++Jan 1945 ------- Helicon ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++April 1945 ------- Helicon ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++July 1945 ------- No location ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++Oct 1945 ------- Pintail ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++Jan 1946 ------- Pintail ------- Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++April 1946 ------- Pintail - Mitchell, H ------- Schm ------- do.+++July 1946 ------- H Mitchell ------- Schoolmaster ------- Medically Unfit+++I'm not totally sure about what happens next - he is no longer on the Active list, but there is an H Mitchell in the RNVR list; he is serving in South Africa, however, so this might be a red herring.+++1947 ------- RNVR ------- Mitchell, Harry ------- S L ------- (SA) ------- 16.8.45+++ThenLondon Division, HMS President (where he is listed as Harry Mitchell)+++1949 ------- RNVR -------Mitchell, H -------(a) In L ------- (b) L II ------- (c) 1.7.44+++1950 ------- RNVR ------- Mitchell, H ------- In L ------- L II ------- 1 July 44+++1951 ------- RNVR ------- Mitchell, H ------- In L ------- L II ------- 1 July 44+++1952 ------- RNVR ------- Mitchell, H ------- In L ------- L II ------- 1 July 44+++1953 ------- RNVR ------- Mitchell, H ------- In L Cr ------- L II ------- 1 May 1952+++1954 ------- RNVR ------- Mitchell, H ------- In L Cr ------- L II ------- 1 May 1952+++1955 ------- RNVR ------- Mitchell, H ------- In L Cr ------- L II ------- 1 May 1952+++1956 ------- RNVR ------- Mitchell, H ------- In L Cr ------- L II a ----- 1 May 1952Apologies for the bizarre editing, Rum Ration won't paragraph what I have written.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  12. I'll get the duty RO to dicipher that lol

13. Thank you so much! The South Africa bit is certainly a red herring - I am certain that he was never in South Africa, and he certainly had the rank of Lt. Commander when he retired from the RNVR. I am very grateful for all the information. He never spoke about the wartime service and I was too young to know much when he was in the RNVR. Probably the medically unfit bit was after his ship was torpedoed and his leg was shattered.

14. Google Royal Navy (RN) Officers 1939-1945 You'll find your grandfather between MICH-MOIR

15. April 1943 ---- Drake ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm Cdte ---- 12 Feb 43

June 1943 ---- Waxwing ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm Cdte ---- do.

Oct 1943 ---- Waxwing ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm (proby) ---- do.

Feb 1944 ---- Waxwing ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm (proby) ---- do.

April 1944 ---- Waxwing ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

June 1944 ---- Waxwing ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

Oct 1944 ---- Helicon ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

Jan 1945 --- Helicon ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

April 1945 ---- Helicon ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

July 1945 ---- No location ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

Oct 1945 ---- Pintail ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

Jan 1946 ---- Pintail ---- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

April 1946 ---- Pintail --- Mitchell, H ---- Schm ---- do.

July 1946 ---- H Mitchell ---- Schoolmaster ---- Medically Unfit

I'm not totally sure about what happens next - he is no longer on the Active list, but there is an H Mitchell in the RNVR list; he is serving in South Africa, however, so this might be a red herring.

1947 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, Harry ---- S L ---- (SA) ---- 16.8.45

Then London Division, HMS President (where he is listed as Harry Mitchell)

1949 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, H ----(a) In L ---- (b) L II ---- (c) 1.7.44

1950 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, H ---- In L ---- L II ---- 1 July 44

1951 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, H ---- In L ---- L II ---- 1 July 44

1952 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, H ---- In L ---- L II ---- 1 July 44

1953 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, H ---- In L Cr ---- L II ---- 1 May 1952

1954 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, H ---- In L Cr ---- L II ---- 1 May 1952

1955 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, H ---- In L Cr ---- L II ---- 1 May 1952

1956 ---- RNVR ---- Mitchell, H ---- In L Cr ---- L II a ---- 1 May 1952

That looks better.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  16. Very many thanks for all of this. Yes, he was stationed at Aultbea and in fact got married in Dunfermline Abbey whilst both he and my mother were stationed there.

If I send the fee of #30.00 will I get any more in-depth information about his wartime service? I am quite happy to do so to eliminate the South Africa bit if nothing else!

Regards

Julia

17. Yes, you will, Julia. I would advise you to do that.

What I have written has simply come from the published editions of the Navy List.

Apologies for that red herring, by the way. What happened is that he disappeared from the normal UK Navy List just after the war ended, then re-emerged on it in the late 40s. As you had mentioned service abroad, I scouted around the units out in the Commonwealth and found someone of the right name in South Africa, but it may be a total coincidence.

18. OK will do.

Thanks for all your efforts - much appreciated.

Julia