JSP 950 conditions of entry.

Hi all, My daughter was thinking of applying for the RN but she had childhood asthma. This was 15 years ago and has not had any treatment for that period of time. Since then she has had no ill effects and is perfectly fit and healthy, she swims,runs etc. JSP 950 states that an applicant would normally (normally) be considered unfit for selection if that applicant has had more than one course of oral steroids. My daughter has had two (albeit 15 years ago). Therefore is it worthwhile applying or is it a complete no?. I believe that the medical information goes to capita who then makes the decision. But I wouldn't want her to start the process and therefore raising her hopes if it is a done deal. I,m posting on here because my local careers centre couldn't give medical advice. Thanks in advance.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Again, I'm not qualified to give definitive medical advice but the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC) have previously told me if there were two or more prescriptions of oral steroids prescribed for the single continual episode asthma, then it counts as one incidence apparently.

Again, caution is urged and it is appreciated that you do not wish to dash your daughters hopes.

It maybe worth registering an interest online, so she is in the recruiting system, and then her writing to the AFCO, enclosing a copy of the medical history relating specifically to the asthma (sealed in an inner envelope with Name/DoB and the words "Medical in Confidence") and a covering letter accompanying the medical records and requesting the information is forwarded to SEMC to determine her future medical suitability for service.

Thanks Ninja, Sound advice. So just to clarify a point. If we were to send her records to the AFCO ( in inner envelope etc). And ask them to be sent to the SEMC ( in confidence). At least we would get a definitive answer either way. Are SEMC anything to do with capita? I've not heard great things about the outsourcing company?.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks Ninja, Sound advice. So just to clarify a point. If we were to send her records to the AFCO ( in inner envelope etc). And ask them to be sent to the SEMC ( in confidence). At least we would get a definitive answer either way. Are SEMC anything to do with capita? I've not heard great things about the outsourcing company?.
SEMC are Naval Medical personnel, they review medical appeals and suchlike but usually only after the individual has at least registered an expression of interest (or after a medical examination conducted by Capita).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J UPO 2
S The Quarterdeck 2
Guns The Fleet 3