JSP 950 conditions of entry.

Bemmie

Hi all, My daughter was thinking of applying for the RN but she had childhood asthma. This was 15 years ago and has not had any treatment for that period of time. Since then she has had no ill effects and is perfectly fit and healthy, she swims,runs etc. JSP 950 states that an applicant would normally (normally) be considered unfit for selection if that applicant has had more than one course of oral steroids. My daughter has had two (albeit 15 years ago). Therefore is it worthwhile applying or is it a complete no?. I believe that the medical information goes to capita who then makes the decision. But I wouldn't want her to start the process and therefore raising her hopes if it is a done deal. I,m posting on here because my local careers centre couldn't give medical advice. Thanks in advance.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Again, I'm not qualified to give definitive medical advice but the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC) have previously told me if there were two or more prescriptions of oral steroids prescribed for the single continual episode asthma, then it counts as one incidence apparently.

Again, caution is urged and it is appreciated that you do not wish to dash your daughters hopes.

It maybe worth registering an interest online, so she is in the recruiting system, and then her writing to the AFCO, enclosing a copy of the medical history relating specifically to the asthma (sealed in an inner envelope with Name/DoB and the words "Medical in Confidence") and a covering letter accompanying the medical records and requesting the information is forwarded to SEMC to determine her future medical suitability for service.

Bemmie

Thanks Ninja, Sound advice. So just to clarify a point. If we were to send her records to the AFCO ( in inner envelope etc). And ask them to be sent to the SEMC ( in confidence). At least we would get a definitive answer either way. Are SEMC anything to do with capita? I've not heard great things about the outsourcing company?.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks Ninja, Sound advice. So just to clarify a point. If we were to send her records to the AFCO ( in inner envelope etc). And ask them to be sent to the SEMC ( in confidence). At least we would get a definitive answer either way. Are SEMC anything to do with capita? I've not heard great things about the outsourcing company?.
SEMC are Naval Medical personnel, they review medical appeals and suchlike but usually only after the individual has at least registered an expression of interest (or after a medical examination conducted by Capita).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Tor jsp UPO 2
S JSP 754 The Quarterdeck 2
Guns JSP 101 - New version and ICSC(M) course preps The Fleet 3
A PULHHEEMS (JSP 346)... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £950 fine for Leicester man fishing with unlicensed rod and line MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £950 fine for Leicester man fishing with unlicensed rod and line MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted wins landmark prosecution case of school that breached conditions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government outlines conditions for elite athletes' return to competitive training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA awards £2m to fast-track autonomous vehicles in harsh conditions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Justice Secretary publishes plans to improve conditions at Bristol prison MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Licence Conditions and how the Parole Board use them MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Robotics to withstand extreme conditions: apply for funding MoD News 0
Ghost29 Royal Navy notice paper for terms and conditions of enlistment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Millions awarded to help people with health conditions stay in work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hazard perception test now features more weather conditions MoD News 0
B Living conditions at HMNB Clyde? Joining the Royal Navy 9
Anon78 golden handshake conditions Joining the Royal Navy 7
C Royal Navy terms and conditions of service. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
F Undeclared Medical conditions prior to joining Health & Fitness 1
Ninja_Stoker Undeclared medical conditions - A cautionary tale. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Ellison91 Medical Conditions RFA 4
O Medical conditions RFA 4
MoD_RSS HMS Illustrious trains in tough Arctic conditions Current Affairs 1
soleil Grough: "Navy Rescue Crew Braves 'Worst Conditions' In Flight To Save Walker" The Fleet Air Arm 1
trelawney126 Skin Conditions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Guns Royal and Percy fighting in WWII conditions Current Affairs 8
T Service Pay and Conditions Current Affairs 4
C Pay for work in unpleasant conditions Diamond Lil's 8