Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by wave_dodger, Dec 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Having done UEL(S) years and years ago (16) and having accumulated 90+ days on the hill, but sadly many overseas in the arctic. Does anyone have similar experience and any idea how the MTLB will view these if I present them towards JSMEL(S)?

I have a large slice of gardening leave and was intending to compile my logbook (something I've always put off) - get a well known friend to authenticate it but now I am told that my foreign days will be discounted - which means that I wouldn't have enough time - which is bizarre given that I have oodles of experience, high, on glaciers, in remote and hosttile areas and in real cold/snow.

Any clues/directions gladly received. I can also choose an assessment company so suggestions please!
  2. I'm a summer and winter ML, Can i help??
  3. wave_dodger

I never real went for the logbook thing or courses for that matter I much preferred getting on the hill. Consequently I've had to sit down and workout where and when I've been away. Looking at the numbers I've roughly 60 quality days (foreign) and only about 30 in the UK.

Most of my days are pure winter, as an example I did 31 days continously on Greenland in the Watkins with 4 others pulking and climbing on glaciers and unclimbed peaks. From what I can read the MTLB will probably not be interested in that experience.

Is that true?

If I can persuade the MTLB that I have decent experience, where is it best to for JSMEL assesment?
  4. Basically the MLTE as it is now known used to ask for about 20 quality mountain days before the training course and about 40 before the asssesment. personally i had far and above that before the assesment and as a consequence found it very easy. The Winter ML is a different kettle of fish and demands at least 100 days in winter mainly in scotland before even thinking about your assesment.

In answer to your non-Uk days, i would say that it is very important that you log these days pre-training as it shows them your broad range of experience.

Check out the site below for more details.

5. Hi, whilst i'm not in the navy/RM yet (hope to be pilot in fleet air arm) i have a fairly good working knowledge of the JSMEL/ civi ML scheme.

Unfortunately your Quality Mountain Days (QMD's) abroad don't count directly towards your JSMEL (or civi award), however they do help. If you've passed your UEL you will be able to apply for exemption from training for the civillian Mountain Leader Training Board, when considering your application your experience abroad will be taken into consideration.

This will then allow you to go through to your assessment phase when your log book is sqaured away ie when you have enough QMD's.... If possible apply to go on a JSAT course at JSMTC Indefaigable, Ripon or Ballachulish, they run JSMEL courses which can be civillian acredited (assuming instructors are available, they are listed as MLTE courses in the new DINS). If you have enough days and more importantly demonstrate the required skills then the military instructors will award you the qualification both civi and military if possible.

If you went to a civillian company such as Plas y Brenin, it is not in their interest to pass week candidates as they are centres of excellence and they are relatively strict on who does or doesn't pass. Having said that though, they are fair. Their average candidate who passes has around 60 QMD's, but that is because they are paying for the course and want to go prepared and not fail/loose money. I went to do my JSMEL with 41 QMD's and passed easily and got my civi award....

I would suggest looking at another JSMEL's log book to see the sort of routes they were doing, if possible do some yourself. If you were in no doubt that you had the skills to pass ML/JSMEL and it was only a matter of QMD's in the UK i would "suggest" making a few up. But i stress, there's no point in trying to blag your log book if you aren't Sh*t hot on the hill.

Good luck with it and enjoy your gardening leave :thumright:
  6. wave_dodger

Thanks guys, have a lot of planning to do then some courses to apply for and days to get in on the hill!
  7. If you can get your arse up to Scotland as the conditions are more testing and days longer and harder!!
  8. wave_dodger

I'll try, I much prefer Scotland over Wales even though I lived in the latter for 4 years.
  9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I've PM'd you :thumright: