JR to SR

What changes are they aside from the obvious?

I know you can authorise your own leave and need to pay into a mess, but is there anything else?

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
0745 for Junior Rates.
0755 for Senior Rates.

Although how often are seniors working late with admin etc. As soon as secure is piped the JRs are stampeding down the gangway*

*Most SRs have already found an excuse to be ashore by this stage.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I've always thought the service strips away your entitlements when you join, then gradually gives you back your home comforts, such as your own room, bathroom, freedom to come and go as you please, drink spirits, get up when you like, etc, as you are advanced/promoted. As off claimed, the highest rank in the Armed Forces is civilian, first class ;)

Sumo

War Hero
I've always thought the service strips away your entitlements when you join, then gradually gives you back your home comforts, such as your own room, bathroom, freedom to come and go as you please, drink spirits, get up when you like, etc, as you are advanced/promoted. As off claimed, the highest rank in the Armed Forces is civilian, first class ;)
civil service first class, jack cattle class or lower
:rolleyes:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I always thought that the rate with the least advantages was Leading Hand, no extras apart from a small pay rise, no separate room or mess ashore.

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
In 71, at Collingrad, the pipe was: commence Senior Rates leave, open Hector Road gate. Fifteen minutes later, commence Junior Rates leave, close Hector Road gate. The killick RA’s not only had to wait the fifteen minutes, they had to go the long way around White City and down to the Main Gate.

Any other greenies remember that?

WreckerL

War Hero
I do have a vague recollection of that when I joined there in 1974 but as VM JOEM I never took much notice, on killicks course we had to march everywhere but on Mechs course, as SR's we didn't march anywhere.

I do have a vague recollection of that when I joined there in 1974 but as VM JOEM I never took much notice, on killicks course we had to march everywhere but on Mechs course, as SR's we didn't march anywhere.
^...and everyone with them were required to carry their Burberries - neatly folded across the left forearm & parallel to the deck, - raining/hailing/snowing or not, until the XO/OOD ordered flag Oscar (= Man Overboard) to be raised.

Only then was it 'Officially precipitating sufficiently for Burberries to be worn', otherwise one was out of the rig of the day.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
What a wonderful piece of kit the Burberry was, enough pockets to carry everything needed for a weekend in smoke, warm enough to act as bedding on the MFV overnight on the glorious Isle of Bute awaiting the morning sailing amongst it's many uses.

Sumo

War Hero
What a wonderful piece of kit the Burberry was, enough pockets to carry everything needed for a weekend in smoke, warm enough to act as bedding on the MFV overnight on the glorious Isle of Bute awaiting the morning sailing amongst it's many uses.
could have been a bit more waterproof, had a few soakings whilst wearing it, no idea where mine went? My windy burb was kicked at an hockey game, I used to wear it in goal.

WreckerL

War Hero
^...and everyone with them were required to carry their Burberries - neatly folded across the left forearm & parallel to the deck, - raining/hailing/snowing or not, until the XO/OOD ordered flag Oscar (= Man Overboard) to be raised.

Only then was it 'Officially precipitating sufficiently for Burberries to be worn', otherwise one was out of the rig of the day.
That was a Ganges stunt as well!

Stirlin

War Hero
That was a Ganges stunt as well!
At Raleigh they would pipe rig of the day about 20 seconds before 0800 when everyone was to march off to various classes etc , they raised a flag on the main mast at 0745 when leave was up to denote rig of the day , separate one for carry oilskins , wear oilskins , foul weather jacket etc. Only thing was you could not see the mast from part 1 or 2 blocks........unless you detailed one to race down the hill/race up the hill past the chuffs and puffs mess to spot the mast , woebetide anyone who got the flags mixed up. All because each instructor wanted their class off first , they must have had a bet on the night before. Marching off at 1155 to get to dinner ALL classes immediately broke into double march to get to scran first.....bedlam.

Latest Threads