Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

JPA

dt018a9667 said:
Maxi_77 said:
All very well and good, but what will the Whitehall warriors and been counters have to do, without any goals and targets to assess and set? God how they must love this loony lot in charge.

Perhaps not as one of Gordon's little targets is slashing the number of whitehall warriors, and finding ways to cut their pensions at the same time. The civil service likes stability and comfort, a combination of a 'fiscally prudent' chancellor and ever changing targets must be very unsettling.

Peter

Maxi_77 said:
dt018a9667 said:
Maxi_77 said:
All very well and good, but what will the Whitehall warriors and been counters have to do, without any goals and targets to assess and set? God how they must love this loony lot in charge.

Perhaps not as one of Gordon's little targets is slashing the number of whitehall warriors, and finding ways to cut their pensions at the same time. The civil service likes stability and comfort, a combination of a 'fiscally prudent' chancellor and ever changing targets must be very unsettling.

Peter

Only one problem with that since lets give everything to Scotland Brown the amount of civil servants have gone up not down! But no doubt it will be spun the other way, even with all the problems they have now they are still at it.

I was apprehensive of JPA, like many of you I thought it would be slow and a waste, but to be fair it's not that bad. Leave is easier to apply for without having the hassle of forms to fill in and then running around trying to get them approved, also you're in control of your finances making it easier to change accounts or send to seperate accounts. All in all it's not bad, except as you would expect it's not bespoke to service needs it was taken from a civvy piece of software and adapted to military use.

Front page of today's Sunday Express features JPA.

Usual Sunday Express over-exaggeration of the problem however I hope that the RN has sorted this out and learnt from the RAF problems.

I have no confidence at all in govt IT systems and in particular that bunch from EDS ... is anyone else concerned at the way they pick up Government IT contact after IT contact and they all seem to go tits up?

Have just found out that JPA does not allow allotments. Anyone tell me why this extremely useful function has not been built in ... sure I can change to standing orders but allotments have been an easy and popular system for years .. why not build them in ?

I am saving extra money each month into a builing society account for when JPA hits the Andrew - I see a cock up on the horizon

Navy1 said:
Have just found out that JPA does not allow allotments. Anyone tell me why this extremely useful function has not been built in ... sure I can change to standing orders but allotments have been an easy and popular system for years .. why not build them in ?

I am saving extra money each month into a builing society account for when JPA hits the Andrew - I see a cock up on the horizon

JPA doesn't do allotments....BUT it has got a facility called "split net pay". This allows you to split your pay by amount or percentage of pay into upto 4 different bank acounts. Also one of the accounts has to be flagged for all your expenses so any travel claims will go into that one - hello slush fund!!!!!

My wife is a serving crab, and up till now, she's thankfully not encountered any problems. There was a training course on the JPA system that all in her unit had to attend, then there was subsequent programme of hands-on training that she had to complete at a JPA workstation before she was let loose. The only problems she had were her RILOR caused a few problems (dunno why, seems straightforward) and the fact that the system apparently debits you a day's annual leave for a bank holiday, which you then have to get re-credited or something like that. Being a crab though, she's based at a static unit and unless she's fortunate enough to get redundancy, is unlikely to leave it for a few years, meaning that her pay's pretty stable. I doubt it will be as simple for Jack, constantly moving around, entitled to allowances one week, but not the next and having little access to a JPA terminal to conduct the initial training, let alone sort his admin out. We shall see, I suppose.

JPA is no big issue.. If you've used sites like amazon - it's as easy as that. The real problem is providingeveryone with access to a pc with the required connectivity.

In theory it sounds a good idea, not fear is the que of people outside their DO' door, badgering him/her for help... meanwhile the poor DO has not time to sort out their own messed up pay...

Latest Threads