JPA Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by top_mast, Sep 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would be intrested in knowing how many people have been affected by the rule intriduced by UPO in September.

If you are making a claim for expences on JPA and you have mileage as part of the calim, then your claim will not be approved if your mileage is more that 30 days prior to the date of the claim!!
  2. So you've got 30 days to claim mileage on JPA??
  3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Bah beat me to it :

04.0629. Method of Claim. Claims for MMA will be processed via the JPA Expenses Claim system as detailed in the JPA Employee Self-Service Desk Manual. They are to be submitted within one month of the date on which the expenditure was incurred. (JSP 752)

It's been this way for a while.
  4. It's been in the book since 2006 apparently

All personnel are reminded that when submitting claims for motor mileage allowance, it is to be done within 30 days of the actual journey taking place.

JSP 752 refers

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

So to turn the original question round, how many people have been claiming for travel outside the 30-day limit in blissful ignorance?
  7. I've heard of a few who have saved their claims for a special occasion. Now they're not happy about being up a certain creek without a certain implement.
  8. It's not for a 'special occasion' - it's reimursement of expenses incurred.
  9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

In the real-world of business, banking your expense claims and saving up for a rainy day is frowned upon for the simple reason that it plays havoc with cashflow - while the RN is not a business, the MOD do need to have a pretty good idea of how much money will be going out from one month to the next - if everyone saves up their travel claims until the month before Christmas, it'd really screw up the cashflow of the MOD, and ultimately HMG.
  10. No there is an element in the payment for "wear & tear". So I think that holding back until an MOT is reasonable. Especially having just paid £600 to get my car through
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So if the boot was on the other foot, and the MOD accumulated personnel expenses and only paid out for claims when it could afford to do so, would you not find that unreasonable?

It did make me laugh when I would routinely submit my claims for IEs (overseas rate of £10.00 per day, every day) on the first of every month and others would hold back, waiting until the end of the deployment when they returned to the UK (that "special occasion") - only to find that in the mean time the overseas rate for IEs was reduced to £5.00 per day, and only up to 30 days (rather than all days, as was the case)! :thumbleft:

The rules are quite clear; if you cannot comply with them then suck it up.
  12. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Are you really telling us that you can't manage your own finances and that the only way you can ensure you don't spend money wrongly is to have the MOD hold onto the money on your behalf?
  13. No,

What I was implying was that it is a relatively handy way of keeping money aside for the purpose that it was intended.
  14. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Another handy way is to make the claim iaw the long standing rules and put it aside in a seperate account for when the car or whatever needs work. Simples.

It could be of course that you lack the self discipline not to dip into it, in which case why should the RN mother you. Fcuk off and be a burden on another organisation....
  15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

My point exactly