JPA overpayments

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by shoots, Dec 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all havent posted much but come looking for help.
    Not sure if this is the right place.

Basically for 2 years running have had GPD's created for mistakes made by HR staff with pay and leave,

in essence i have been payed the money they made mistake with and then payed it back as per there current SOP's

my bug bear is that this then leaves me paying tax twice on this recieved money and this isnt right as far as i can see.

Anyone know how to go and sort it as HR staff wont deal with tax. i am probably looking at maybe a tax office that can understand the RN policy and pay arrangement.

hope this makes sense.

cheers in advance.

shoots

2. All too common, I'm afraid.

No, it doesn't. The way PAYE works takes into account the money you 'pay back' (you don't actually pay it back, you just don't get it paid)

HR staff? WTF? We have writers. I might concede that they are now loggies (pers), but HR staff, never until the next branch review, that is
    Anyway, nothing to sort out, as you are not paying tax twice, you are paying the correct amount.

Not really.

You're welcome.

JC :rendeer:

3. Cheers JC however my understanding of PAYE doesnt extend that far and maybe i need to learn,

all i can see is my tax paid each time this happens and having recieved the extra £900 ish i have paid nearly £180 extra tax + NI on this money so it seems that i have paid tax on it in one way or another.

shoots

4. Having had something similar to this.

Was paid £3000 incorrectly and paid less because of tax and NI.

When the £3000 was retreived they took it before tax was paid and I actually paid less tax that month.

Worked out the differences and it totalled correctly.

That is what should have happened.

Check back on you pay, tax and work it out.