JPA overpayments

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Tritech, Oct 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone having the same trouble as me? I've been overpaid to the tune of £600 each month since February. Phoned JPA service centre, they said they couldn't help and that I should talk to the UPO. Went the UPO, they said I should talk to my writer on board, talked to my writer and told to talk to JPA service centre. WTF! I have been given the run around for months now, Ive tried to sort it but no such luck. So **** it im going to blow the dosh on a **** off big enertainment system and big tv.
    JPA sucks big time. :rambo:
  2. Stick it in Premium Bonds.You might win a million and its always there when you have to pay it back.
  3. But you don't get interest with Premium Bonds ;)
  4. I wouldn't blow it, they'll catch up with you in the end
  5. Im just sick and tired of chasing my arse. Pusser can now just go to hell, im spending it. Im going on patrol soon anyway so I will have the dosh saved back up by the time I return.
    JPA - ****! :rambo:
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So you've openly admitted that you know you've been overpaid with money that is not yours and are likely to spend it, even though you have not made the initial mistake? Despite your bravado that sounds like theft to me.

Call me boring, but the law is a bit of a hobby of mine... 8O :?
  7. 'ello 'ello 'ello, whats going on 'ere then ?
  8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

And there was me thinking you was a professional :whew:
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hehe... well, you can't beat getting paid to do your hobby, can you?! :wink:
  10. The law isn't a hobby of mine but, question, doesn't the intent to permanently deny the owner the item (money) have to be there somewhere for it to be theft?

In terms of pay it isn't theft, and, as he has informed both JPA and the UPO he has the money, I say spend away. Of course they will reclaim it, and there is nothing you can do about it in this particular scenario. Interesting post above that says they can only take 4 days a month, has that changed recently as it always was what could be afforded based of provable outgoings? If this is correct and you now owe 5.4 K a better option may be to put it in a high interest account and just take the gain that way. I do like the thought of the premium bonds, sold as the money is reclaimed to make up your salary.

11. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

This is a well known issue of late - be warned a number of relatively senior RAF Officers have been burnt doing the same. Stick it in an account earning good interest and make AFPAA recover it at the minimum level (something like 2 days pay per month). Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
  12. I think one would be hard pressed to prove the offence of theft however, there is a little known of offence of RETAINING A WRONGFUL CREDIT under the Theft Act.

Whilst attempts have been made to make people aware of the wrongful credit and they have not yet done anything to recover it, by spending it or not keeping it immediately available for return, KNOWING IT IS A WRONGFUL CREDIT, you may commit this offence when they try to recover it.

Has anything been put in writing to them yet and a written reply been received to say you have not been over-paid? This would strengthen any defence you may wish to take at a later stage.

It's not worth getting in the poo for. no matter how pissed off you may be.
  13. Theres no written proof of me offering to pay this back in full at once, but as I said I have tried to do this at least 6 times. If this is going to be classed as theft if I spend it then **** me I wont be. Oh well, the wait for action continues.....
  14. Thanks for that - it makes very interesting reading. I suppose you just have to hope that you're one of the ones being overpaid rather than underpaid.

Aug 07 was a pretty bad month though!! :eek:mg: