JPA COMPUTER SYSTEM - OUCH!

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
There are of course only three things you can ever manage in an IT (or other) project: Time, cost and quality (or functionality). Wouldn't my lecturers be proud, the ability to spout that after nearly twenty years! Why I can't remember my son's birthdays defeats me.

Good point, but I don't think it was cheap - thats too simplistic. I am sure there were lots of other political, financial and operational issues.

I'm actually, in a bizarre way, looking forward to seeing our rollout. I will, of course, have some beer tokens stashed away just in case :wink:

God - this is a tedious thread.

Wake up boys, the coffee's on and JPA is nearly here. There'll be problems, recriminations and angst for a good while to come, but nobody will die and nobody will be seriously injured because of JPA. If anybody is badly disadvantaged by pay cock-ups, it shouldn't be beyond the capability of the RN to make good.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
imom1406 said:
Still doesn't help me with getting screwed by EDS as a Tax payer!!

Look on the bright side, if JPA means that you don't get paid one month, then you shouldn't be paying tax to Gordon that month either, so EDS'll be screwing the Revenue too! :)

mad_collie

Midshipman
So far in crabland once the system has been sorted its not too bad. The problem is getting your pay SORTED! If you are in the type of job that will keep you in the same place all the time with no extra allowances it will (hopefully) work OK. The problems that come are whenever we go OOA, on a course etc, then everything is knacked for months. Also, on the IT side of things, make sure that the server that your particular unit/ship whatever has all the right antivirus bits disabled, otherwise you can spend ages when it comes on line trying to access stuff, which the AV software wont allow. We're still coming up against stuff now - not many happy bears this side of the fence. :roll:

flipflop

Midshipman
dunkers said:
Personally, I find it reassuring at present that if you have a query/problem about pay or other admin issue, you can simply go to the ship's office and sit down with a writer and discuss the issue in person.

I'd hate to be stuck with a computer, trying to work out what I'm meant to do, or what I am able to do... I'd much rather speak to someone who is an expert (as currently happens) even if just for peace of mind.

I wish i could say the same, but the ships office on larger ships is full of inexperience and youth. Not good for the future.

nelsons_blood

Badgeman
I wish i could say the same, but the ships office on larger ships is full of inexperience and youth. Not good for the future.[/quote]

JPA will make for a far easier life in the future. There will obviously be bedding in problems but however much we bleat about it won't make it better any quicker. You Carrier queens and the like should spare a thought for your colleagues deployed on smaller ships who don't have a permenant sattelite uplink, but as ever, your floating palaces will be dealt with first.

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
Am probably going to fan the flames here but...

...the company I have the misfortune of working for is involved in this and is quite a key player under the prime contractor.

Incidentally we were also involved in a certain space mission to Mars. Anyone remember Beagle II?? Well the landing software was written by us.

(I wanna add that I'm not working on this myself otherwise I would be able to perhaps give a more optimistic outlook)

The latest fun fun JPA issue is that on the outside of our shiny new pay statements, there will be no room for rank, service no or place of work, so all payslips will arrive at the mail office addressed to (for example):

G Snodgrass
HMS COLLINGWOOD
Etc etc.

Not too much of a problem in a MCMV, but in a CVS or (bloody hell) a shore establishment, there's no way to distinguish between people of similar names, let alone whether the pay statement should be delivered to the Wardroom, SRs mess etc. And under Tony Blair's first ever piece of legislation (the Data Protection Act) no-one is allowed to look people up on the system to find out where they work.

So in answer to the "what are the writers going to do now" question - the answer is spend 4 and a half weeks working out which pay statement goes where before the next avalanche! Why can't they just send it to the registered home address (like civvie companies do) anyway?

Combined with this, all current service numbers are being replaced apparently with "assignment numbers" which do not allow someone's gender, or officer/rating-OR status to be worked out, which will be fun at the mess allocation stage of a new joiner (remember when the "W" was removed from female rates because the service number told whether a sailor was female or not).

I'd just LOVE to know why some of the posters on this thread think it is going to work. Frankly, I'll bet a three figure sum to anyone that it'll will be an absolute disaster. Where are the briefing presentations? Where are the posters? Where are the leaflets? No one (literally!) wanted a copy of wanky Broadsheet plus even wankier DVD sent to them, but everyone in the mob got one anyway. I DO however want a brief guide to the system that will pay me for the rest of my career and how to bloody use it though...

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
geoffrey said:
The latest fun fun JPA issue is that on the outside of our shiny new pay statements, there will be no room for rank, service no or place of work, so all payslips will arrive at the mail office addressed to (for example):

G Snodgrass
HMS COLLINGWOOD
Etc etc.

Not too much of a problem in a MCMV, but in a CVS or (bloody hell) a shore establishment, there's no way to distinguish between people of similar names, let alone whether the pay statement should be delivered to the Wardroom, SRs mess etc. And under Tony Blair's first ever piece of legislation (the Data Protection Act) no-one is allowed to look people up on the system to find out where they work.

So in answer to the "what are the writers going to do now" question - the answer is spend 4 and a half weeks working out which pay statement goes where before the next avalanche! Why can't they just send it to the registered home address (like civvie companies do) anyway?

Combined with this, all current service numbers are being replaced apparently with "assignment numbers" which do not allow someone's gender, or officer/rating-OR status to be worked out, which will be fun at the mess allocation stage of a new joiner (remember when the "W" was removed from female rates because the service number told whether a sailor was female or not).

I'd just LOVE to know why some of the posters on this thread think it is going to work. Frankly, I'll bet a three figure sum to anyone that it'll will be an absolute disaster. Where are the briefing presentations? Where are the posters? Where are the leaflets? No one (literally!) wanted a copy of wanky Broadsheet plus even wankier DVD sent to them, but everyone in the mob got one anyway. I DO however want a brief guide to the system that will pay me for the rest of my career and how to bloody use it though...

Bring back the RNR postal branch - we've just found a use for them!