Jo's on fire

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by cameraman, Aug 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :-(

2. There's a tidy insurance job if ever I saw one....

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

:sad2:................

4. BBC News - Hotel and flats evacuated in Southsea seafront fire

[​IMG]

I think Diesel was asking:

<<The building, which had housed a nightclub, is next to the former Savoy Buildings site*, which was demolished in 2009.

The Savoy Buildings site is partly owned by former Portsmouth Football Club manager Harry Redknapp.>>

*The Savoy Buildings site is at the left of the above picture.

At the right, out of shot, is The Royal Beach Hotel.

5. ================================================

================================================

Search and rescue teams sent in to Southsea derelict nightclub - Law and Order - The News

[​IMG]

<<A team of urban search and rescue workers from Hampshire Fire and Rescue service and police officers have been at the site over the weekend checking that there were no people inside the building at the time of the fire.

Police have reassured the public that it is standard practice to carry out searches in cases like this>>

6. I lost my ring in there, I wonder if they have come across it?

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Just wondering if this was an attempt to avoid a Ship and Castle situation where the owners of the Ship & C' opposite the Victory Gate to the Dockyard were made to keep the historic facade and jiggle their redevelopment to fit.

8. wal

wal Badgeman

Many a lady lost her ring in there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ================================================

================================================

BBC News - Southsea developer avoids social housing policy with £600k offer

<<Portsmouth council has approved an offer of £600,000 from a property developer to allow it to build luxury flats but no affordable homes.

Pierfront Development has been given planning permission to build 92 apartments on Southsea seafront.

It said building an another 28 social housing homes would make it too costly.

The decision was criticised by a councillor who said the council was "putting profit before homes".

The apartments will be built on the site of the derelict Savoy Court in South Parade, which burnt down last week, and on the former Savoy Buildings site, which was demolished in 2009...

... Conservative councillor Donna Jones said: "It's vital that this building is built and regenerated. It looks an absolute mess at the moment.

"We need jobs created on the seafront, we need cafes, restaurants, bars - we need people to come and spend their money in Portsmouth and this is the first step in that very, very vital picture.">>

10. If this were Lil's...

11. It was a fucking shithole anyway. It should have burned down earlier.

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Coincidentally, many married men lost their ring in there.

Strangely though, most of them found it again on their way home - often in their pocket.

13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Of note, the owner of the property next door, is I believe Harry Redknapp, who wasn't too keen on building there until they sorted out the mess door. Job done, courtesy of the "electrical fault"....

I wondered why the seafront road was blocked off yesterday (been away on hols), didn't look around as I was too busy trying to get somewhere asap.

14. Seriously? Can anyone actually see any difference in the decor since the fire?

15. Tsk, you yung un's, twas the 'Crystal Lounge' before they changed the name to some slapper called Johanna.

Frequented by matelot Skins and TS's crew of which I was one, I carried the blow and Black Bombers so TS would not have to do another stint in DQ's. Happy daze, circa 1970, me and TS were barrack stantions, him with incurable knob rot (kicked outside July '70) and me recovering from fractured femur.

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The 'piss tree' must have stunk when it started to burn. Wonder if people were shagging on the beach opposite and didn't even notice?

17. Can't see any difference but at least the carpet is no longer trying to take your shoes off with every step...

• Like Like x 1