(joke) Origin of the word "Marine"

When I was a young US Marine, an old SgtMaj. told me this, I thought you Royals might get a kick out of it. Marine: The sound sh*t makes when it hits the fan; MAH-reeeeeeennn!!!!
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
I was told once by my P.O. Gunner that Marine stands for:

M uscles
A re
R equired
I intelligence
N ot
E ssential

So when I repeated this in front on of 10 members from 45c, they were not best pleased! I wonder why :roll:
 

Spike

Midshipman
MUPPET.

M........Most
U........Useless
P........Person
P........Pusser
E........Ever
T........Trained.
 

brigham600

War Hero
Marines...

Strength of a carthorse,
Speed of a racehorse,
Brains of a rocking horse.

Also one FOR our friendly and utter respected Royals upon them meeting up with a Para...

Only two things fall out of the sky,
Paratroopers and bird shit.
 

Sea_Dodger

Lantern Swinger
Commando-

Combination
Of
Mind
Muscle
And
Nerve
During
Operations.

Also is it true when boot-necks join up they get a choice of keeping their brains or trade for a chunky watch.

"What you want Royal, half your brain or a chunky watch"?

"Chunky watch"!
 

Ratrat

Lantern Swinger
Sea_Dodger said:
Commando-

Combination
Of
Mind
Muscle
And
Nerve
During
Operations.

Also is it true when boot-necks join up they get a choice of keeping their brains or trade for a chunky watch.

"What you want Royal, half your brain or a chunky watch"?



"Chunky watch"![/quote

No it goes along the lines of:

When they are presented with their Green Beret, they are also offered a second prize as well. Either a large watch or a brain - most chose the watch!.
 

Sisyphus

Newbie
I do find jealousy such an unattractive trait, don't you?

Ah, well! Anyway, all you matelots get back in line and leave all those nice officers alone. Those who fail to do so will be keel-hauled [if not hung] - by ADMIRALTY orders.

Nuffin to do with me, Gov! I was just implementing Navy rules.

Doh! Where's all the emoticons?????? Not more cutbacks in the Admiralty budget I hope! ;-)
 

Ratrat

Lantern Swinger
The only problem with Royal Marines choosing the watch is that somebody has to teach them how to tell the time!
I believe that Dog Watch Instruction in time-telling is very popular at CTCRM.
 
BootneckYank said:
When I was a young US Marine, an old SgtMaj. told me this, I thought you Royals might get a kick out of it. Marine: The sound sh*t makes when it hits the fan; MAH-reeeeeeennn!!!!
Hey Bootneck, ever remember Capt. Tom Moore (Greenside in brownside out) a good old pal of mine.
 
"Dinty" Moore! Greenside out, brownside out, run in circles scream and shout! I didnt know him personaly, of course, but I think I still have a couple of his books laying around somewhere. Funny, I never knew he was an officer. Mustang perhaps?
 
BootneckYank said:
"Dinty" Moore! Greenside out, brownside out, run in circles scream and shout! I didnt know him personaly, of course, but I think I still have a couple of his books laying around somewhere. Funny, I never knew he was an officer. Mustang perhaps?
Yes Moore was a Capt. I met up with him a few years back in Kansas along with Maj. Gene Duncan.
 

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Moderator
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
What about their nickname 'Bootneck'. Now it has been suggested this comes from the leather stock they had to wear in the olden days to keep their heads up.

However, a new source for the name has been uncovered. Apparently is was because when they were being shagg ed by the Wardroom, one of the occifers had to put his boot on the maureens neck to make sure he stayed still long enough.

Hence 'Boot - Neck' :lol:

I await incoming 8O
 

Artist

Midshipman
It does so make me laugh when the SBS (Silly Bloody Sailers) only have the bottle to slag of Royal via a keyboard.

They were always very polite whenever they came into the CinCnavhome Print Shop in Pompey Dockyard. Otherwise they new for a fact what the reaction would be.

1. "It's going to cost Jack!" Or; 2. "Go away in short, sharp, jerky, erotic movements Jack!"

And the term Bootneck comes from Jack having to ask:

"Please could you remove your Boot from my Neck Royal? I promise faithfully to behave in future" :twisted:

Artist
 

Skunkmiester

Lantern Swinger
Ageing_Gracefully said:
However, a new source for the name has been uncovered. Apparently is was because when they were being shagg ed by the Wardroom, one of the occifers had to put his boot on the maureens neck to make sure he stayed still long enough.

I await incoming 8O
Blimey, a matloet dreaming about shagging another man....that's a turn up for the books.

Maybe that's why they are still in disgrace.
 
At BRNC in the late 1990s there was a baby Royal Marine officer who announced to the mess one night that Marine stood for:

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Necessary

He was an awfully clever marinn....
 

Skunkmiester

Lantern Swinger
geoffrey said:
At BRNC in the late 1990s there was a baby Royal Marine officer who announced to the mess one night that Marine stood for:

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Necessary

He was an awfully clever marinn....
Thats why we never let them hold the map.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Ct Squirrel joke The Quarterdeck 7
S Capita is a joke Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
fishhead Blonde Joke Land Ops 0
taffscrivs Old naval joke revisited. Nautical Jokes 18
D joke Nautical Jokes 2
BillyNoMates A Green joke Blue Jokes 0
taffscrivs A wish joke. Miscellaneous 0
taffscrivs Spade Joke Miscellaneous 22
Waspie Pope Joke Miscellaneous 1
taffscrivs A bomb joke. Miscellaneous 0
0 All gone Quite my Favourite joke from down under Diamond Lil's 3
janner The ultimate ethnic joke Miscellaneous 0
Bunter Italian Joke Blue Jokes 2
janner Duck joke Miscellaneous 0
Bunter The Recruiting Joke Blue Jokes 1
Bunter The Wire Brush Joke Blue Jokes 5
Bunter Cricket joke Blue Jokes 2
Rumrat Savile Joke. Diamond Lil's 9
C War Pensioner?? What a JOKE!!! Finance & Pensions 4
F If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined. The Gash Barge 16
Rumrat Joke that made I giggle Diamond Lil's 9
Stirling Best joke ?. Miscellaneous 1
janner Veggie joke Miscellaneous 0
Joe_Crow Joke forums Site Issues 2
oldseadog The world's shortest joke about fleas Miscellaneous 0
D Johnny joke Blue Jokes 1
T joke Miscellaneous 0
G Another bar joke Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Another Genie Joke Land Ops 0
A Another Blonde Joke Miscellaneous 0
A Blonde joke Miscellaneous 0
A A Newfie Joke Miscellaneous 0
S Golf Joke Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Joke Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Alaska Joke Miscellaneous 0
pussercdo An old Bobitt joke - still funny Miscellaneous 0
Shakey Police joke number two. Blue Jokes 1
Shakey Police joke number one. Blue Jokes 2
A An American Bill Clinton Joke Miscellaneous 0
A A Cajun Joke Miscellaneous 0
ex_wasp_L2 Medical joke Blue Jokes 0
A Amish joke Nautical Jokes 0
A A Canadian Joke Nautical Jokes 0
dondon SICK JOKE Miscellaneous 0
Not_a_boffin The Dwarf Joke Blue Jokes 0
A Aother golf joke Nautical Jokes 0
gammaguy117 Practical joke Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
Rumrat Its a joke....Right? Current Affairs 46
GuyC Its a Joke! It has to be... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
G is joining the TA or RMR considered a joke? Diamond Lil's 40
Similar threads


















































Top