Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by tim!, Aug 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im soon to be finishing uni, and im inetrested in joining the FAA as a Pilot (hopefully in heli's) What is the minimum time an officer has to sign up for? As i am unsure whether i want this to be my life for the next 12 years.
    Also just out of interest how high is the competition for aircrew? This would never put me off im just interested.

2. Very high competition for aircrew - in fact I think it's one of the highest. Having said that there is currently a shortage of chopper pilots so maybe it's not so high just now.

I think the minimum length of service is somewhere around 6 years, but remember you are guaranteed a job for 12 years - with promotion prospects and an interesting career. Can't get that anywhere else these days. But I think the answer to your question is 6 years (best confirm that - I think the RN website will be able to tell you).

Any more questions just fire away
  3. Not to mention that you get to swagger about the place, lord it up and have the ladies clamber for your attention.

Not jealous at all. Lie mode off.

Good luck.

4. And of course to have a personality bypass!!!
  5. Also get a pair of Top Gun shades as well , realy strut your stuff in them :lol:
  6. yeah also what like initial tests are there before trying to join as a pilot?
    i know about the 1.5 mile run (which i can do at 9.40) but the mod webby gives very little info.
    And can you opt to fly helicoptors rather than fixed wing or are you told.
  7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Q: How do you know if you're standing next to a Harrier pilot at the bar?

A. He'll tell you (frequently!)
  8. There is an aircrew selection weekend I think, not sure on the details for this one (looks at spatial awareness I think), successful completition of it allows you to sit the AIB.

Pretty sure you can opt for helicopters rather than fixed wing.
  9. as long as you learn to look down on the maintainers & treat them like dirt you'll go far
  10. FlagWagger wrote:

Q: How do you know if you're standing next to a Harrier pilot at the bar?

A. He'll tell you (frequently!)

Excellent! :lol:

One of my favourite pilot jokes:

Transcript from Canadian Forces ATC communication:

Helicopter Pilot [talking to Ground]: "Roger, I'm holding at 3000 over beacon."

Urgent second voice interrupts: "NO! You can't be doing that! I'm holding at 3000 over that beacon!"

[Brief pause, then first voice again]: "You idiot, you're my co-pilot."

11. I think you'll find they are Oakley's now, they must get issued with them. Oh, and beige Chino shorts and sandals.....worn with tucked in Rugger shirts! :p
  12. I wish that I had said that - and I probably will - frequently!
  13. Standard military testing, ie the 1.5 mile run don't worry about as long as your not a lardarse.

Pilot selection, aside from the interviews consists of...

Aptitude tests, which are intuitive computer based tests.

A week of grading (13 or so hours flying a light aircraft) to test general ability.

The rest, as they say, is up to you.

Oh yes, and choice as to what you want to do in the military.... hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....
  14. Why don't you just save yourself and the RN a whole lot of time and money and join the Air Traffic branch now. It saves doing all that time learing how to fly only to be told that your not good enough and pitching up in ATC for a grading a week later!
  15. Hey junglynx, why are you wearing my avatar on your head? Police! Theft! Help!... Oh how I hate being pillaged, too!
  16. how