Joining with previous military service

Hi guys,

I’ve applied for the RN as a Seaman Spec and have had previous military service (only basic training in the Army). The AFCO have been in touch, requesting my discharge docs and have now had to send them down to Portsmouth, to check my eligibility to join. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how long this will take roughly? I’ve been waiting a month.

Also, once they come back and I start the application process properly, how long is the waiting time to sit the recruit test and then the rest of the joining process?

Thank you for your help.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Assuming there were no disciplinary or medical issues at the point of discharge from your former service, there's seldom an issue unless there was a positive CDT, which is an outright bar for RN but not for Army rejoins.

Time-wise, usually about six to eight weeks for approval, assuming the previous service delay the producltion of the records.

If upon discharge you med records went to Kentigern House for archiving, then it's probably worth asking the Pope for a bit of devine intervention because they're over-stretched, undermanned and bloody slow because of it -not their fault just the MOD.

There were no disciplinary issues or medical issues. I took my DAOR.

I don’t suppose you know what determines if my med papers went to Kentigern do you?

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Where medical documents end up is not straightforward I'm afraid.

I was helping an old Royal Navy colleague sort out where medical documents he was seeking ended up.
What a palaver that turned out to be. He was injured at an RAF Station in Germany and was treated at the BMH in Hanover by Army doctors. Alverstoke found nothing with the Army and Airforce following suit. Where the details of his hospitalization are, I have not been able to find out.

I was helping an old Royal Navy colleague sort out where medical documents he was seeking ended up.
What a palaver that turned out to be. He was injured at an RAF Station in Germany and was treated at the BMH in Hanover by Army doctors. Alverstoke found nothing with the Army and Airforce following suit. Where the details of his hospitalization are, I have not been able to find out.
Thank you. I was at ATR Winchester, so I don’t know if they’d still be there (seems unlikely) or if they’ll be in an archive. It’s just frustrating as this part of the application is completely out of my control!

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
In theory. If there are any complications ( or at least if there were-- not sure of things in this digital age) medical documents featuring more than one Service could finish up anywhere. If you ever needed medical treatment on a foreign warship you could say goodbye to the documentation.

In theory. If there are any complications ( or at least if there were-- not sure of things in this digital age) medical documents featuring more than one Service could finish up anywhere. If you ever needed medical treatment on a foreign warship you could say goodbye to the documentation.
I left the Army as a DAOR so it was my own choice. Clean record, no MD, no ND and wasn’t kicked out. I’ve only had to send my discharge docs to the AFCO and the Navy are having to check that I wasn’t a bad soldier and am unfit for military service. So that’s why I’m slightly unsure on how long it would take.

Sumo

War Hero
I left the Army as a DAOR so it was my own choice. Clean record, no MD, no ND and wasn’t kicked out. I’ve only had to send my discharge docs to the AFCO and the Navy are having to check that I wasn’t a bad soldier and am unfit for military service. So that’s why I’m slightly unsure on how long it would take.
They also need to check, if you couldn't hack it has a pongo ? What's your chances of bimbeling into the Senior Service?

Did the person in question send a Subject Access Request to the MoD?