joining with depression on my medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by knowles101, Mar 26, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, i am in the process of joining but don't quite know if my medical will pass as i have got depression on there but don't actually suffer from it and i have slight red green colour blind ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. if it's on your medical record they will see it and probably need more info from your GP, make sure to declare it though they will find out anyway.

good luck.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As long as your GP can confirm you're several years clear of mental health issues & treatment, it's seldom an issue unless the period of treatment is prolonged or recurrent.

Colour perception depends on the job aspiration.

Good luck.

4. Face Palm.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. thanks everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good luck.

Obviously the service is necessarily risk averse with depression due to the extreme physical and mental pressures of the job. At the same time it is appreciated everyone is different.

My guess is the airline industry will be re-visiting their medical standards for aircrew following the recent tragedy in the French Alps.

7. They're adopting the 'never leave anyone alone in the cockpit policy' that BA and others use. They said on the news it would be unfair to raise concerns about others with depression as this is 'an isolated incident', which made me chuckle.