Joining with Debt

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by timoh2010, Jan 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey all,

was wondering if i'm gonna have trouble joining up. i did my RT in October and got top marks, just waiting for my medical and pjft. they said it'd be a couple of months after Christmas, applied as a ME Submariner.

basically, the problem is my debt. i understand that you're allowed a percentage of your wage to pay towards debts. i only owe at most a couple of grand, the problem is due to the recession and losing my job and not being able to find any work, i've gone into default on 2-3 different loans/credit cards for the past few months. not bankrupt or anything, no CCJs. like i say though, i owe at most a couple of grand. as soon as i find work, i'll work my arse off to pay it off.

i've tried searching the forum but can't find anything specific to this. i know to be honest at my interview, which i will be. but will they see this as being irresponsible with money and could this be a bar to entry? if so, will they say **** off you ain't gettin in, or could i carry on my application once it's all paid off?

cheers fellas
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Gosh, no we wouldn't use language like that old bean.

Generally as long as you have contacted your creditors & are addressing the issue as best you can, there is not usually a significant problem with relatively minor debts - the issue is addressing them and avoiding CCJs.

The thing to bear in mind is that it's unlikely, if you pass selection, that you will join much before October 2013 as an ET(MESM) so claiming that you will pay your creditors back when you join the service is not going to hold much truck.

Best of luck.
  3. Thanks for the quick reply mate,

October 2013?!

Bloody hell, I was told roughly 18 months in October, I know they froze intake at Raleigh but 3 years? Bugger. One of the reasons I chose MESM was because it was one of the shortest waiting times.

At least if I've got three years I should be able to get everything paid off in time....probably
  4. Ninja_Stoker

My apologies, ET(ME) is 36 months, ET(MESM) is indeed nearer to 18 months.
  5. God help us...

What were the other reasons, and what were your options?

Choosing to become a submariner stoker because the waiting time is short is a hell of a roll of the dice...
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Funny how the truth will out.

Yep individuals are advised not to be influenced by the waiting times, but inevitably human nature determines they are and it very much dictates their subsequent choice & the direct reason why we get so many who join and then leave because they made the wrong choice.

This is one of the reasons for removing waiting times from the site as many join the wrong trade but then claim the AFCO forced them down that route. Either way we can't win.
  7. not the only reason i chose submariner. i also heard you get a few quid when joining up...?

nah, i've got a couple of mates on subs, doesn't sound too bad, and i've worked in engineering before.

just spoke to the afco, they said i'll be in for my medical and stuff start of april. :D
  8. You get a £5000 golden handshake when you succesfully pass all training (ME and SM) and get awarded your Dolphins, this also when your submarine pay kicks in, so probably 1 year after joining so don't expect loads of dosh the day you walk through Raleigh gates.

You get nothing extra until you get on a boat and qualify as a submariner.
  9. Indeed, you don't get your cash until the entire wardroom has had their go. This can take months, especially if you are ugly.
  10. Don't know if the OP is still around but if he is then its worth popping over to and especially looking at a forum called the debt free wannabe.

There will be loads of tips and advice on how to get out of debt quickly.

11. Robbing banks worked for me.
  12. yeah but didn't the criminal record prove to be a bar to entry?
  13. It actually helped, I jumped the queue.