joining up!

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by jimbo198966, Sep 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi guys, i'm new to this place.... 8)
    i'm almost about to send in my application/details, so i can book in for the test session.....
    i'm going for the Air Engineer career...
    anyone else on here one??
    whats the test session like? real hard??
    and how intense is the interview, as i'm terrible when it comes to them!! :(

Thanks in advance :)

2. Unless you are an ex-regular, I don't believe you can join the RNR Air Branch!
    SO2Seaman

3. thats affirmative. jimbo youll find a few branches are only open to officers and ex RN personel

4. Jimbo
    I'm no expert on the Air Branch, but I think the link you have posted applies only to regulars. I do know that it will be impossible for you to be sufficiently trained in just 2 weeks per year (unless you have some specific existing air enginnering skill).
    Your best bet is probably to ring your local AFCO and/or Unit.
    Good Luck, and if the Air Engineering Branch is closed to you, I hope you find something in the RNR that interests you
    Regards
    SO2Seaman

5. Thanks for the reply
    I've been into my nearest Careers Office, and they didn't say anything about only applying to Regulars...
    And the training for it, after the standard 9 week course, you go into a 6 month training course at the College of Aeronautical Engineering, if that makes any difference :(

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Jimbo

Trust me, it is regular only - there is no chance at all of you getting into the RNR Air branch until you have served as a regular RN member.

7. Hi Jimbo,

Sorry mate but there was definitely a communications breakdown at the AFCO. The 9 weeks/6 months training is Regulars only (Think about it, it is 8 months training - not exactly "part time".). The only way that you can join the RNR Air Branch is from the RN Air Branch. You will either have to join full-time or choose aother RNR branch.

BTW, if you join the RNR, you don't choose your branch until you leave New Entry.

A

8. Yeh Jimbo - sorry to p*ss on your chips matey but without previous service in the RN air branch there is very little (if any) chance of you joining the RNR air branch.

I hope that doesn't put you off joining though. The RNR still has alot to offer.

9. ahh bummer....thanks for letting me know guys :)

still going to be joining up.....and see what becomes available i guess