joining up

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Tramp_kidnapper, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. join at sixteen and get a trade

100.0%
  2. go to college and uni to get a degree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. this is a poll, thanks for the responses tho :wink:

2. I did go through the university route, and am now applying for a commission. I would at least recommend get A-levels. Its not for everyone, but if you can do it then I recommend you do, not least for the fun of 6th form.

3. Personally, I wish I'd have applied as soon as I left school. Going to college wasn't what I expected it to be. Early starts (6am) followed by a 2 hour bus ride, and then not get home until 6 or 7pm.

I wanted to get A levels and then go for a commission. Long story short, that didn't work out...So I've applied to the navy to join as a rating.

In short, if you want to be an officer go to college. If you don't want to be an officer, apply to the navy and try to get some A levels via distance learning.

Just my $0.02 :thumright:

4. I think you'll find that your initial qualifications get you an "in", and nothing else.

5. what do u mean?

6. same storey as mee :rambo:

7. Horses for courses.

Not everyone needs a degree for their chosen trade, despite the thoughts of NuLabour.

8. A degree gets you a bit more money when you first join up as an officer, but A-levels are enough to get you an AIB, and if you go in straight from college you've got three years seniority on the Uni lot anyway, so the money thing becomes unimportant.

If you want to go rating get in at 16, if you want to go officer get some a-levels and go in at 18 without the uni debt. Thats just my opinion though, each to their own

9. i see where ur going but i want to go into engineering, but im sure about being officer, id like to get the adventure experience a soon as possible
    i hear frm my friend at raleigh that ratings do the practical work (good) and officers do the paperwork and check ratings do thier jobs properly (not so good)

10. Horses for courses really, all depends on the individual.

11. That seems to be the general idea. There's always the opportunity to go for other qualifications (one of the things that makes me want to sign up), including degrees, for ratings. You can even go for a commission if you're good enough.