Joining Up with a Police Caution

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Gally, Dec 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Guys,

My son is hopeing to join the Royal Marines sometime in the near future, but he seems to think he has a problem regarding a couple of issues he had whilst he was a teenager. To cut a long story short he was found in possession of a class C drug on 2 occassions, the drug in question being cannabis. He recieved 2 Police cautions, but was never taken to court.

Now I've looked into this and aslong as his cautions are spent there doesn't seem there would be any problems. Police cautions become spent straight away, aslong as it isn't a formal caution which becomes spent 3 months after its issue. He has since stopped using the drug and has dedicated his spare time into training.

I've told him this souldn't be a problem, but he insists that he has read through a Royal Marines forum which states that if found in possesion of a class B or C drug on more than one occasion, he will be completley barred from entry. Whether the caution is spent or not. This was written by a careers advisor.

Is this correct? I would appreciate as much information as possible?

2. Just read through that and it says, 'If "convicted" of being in possesion of a class B or C drug on more than one occassion this may be a bar from entry. Now this is really confusing, because in the eyes of the police a caution is not a conviction and is basically a warning. But in the eyes of the armed forces would it be a conviction?

3. To be honest the forces are fairly well recruited at the moment as is evident from the waiting times to get a joining date.

Regardless of whether or not the rules say he can join or not, the recruiters, when faced with a large body of candidates, are unlikely to choose an ex drug user over other, more suitable candidates.

I know it sounds harsh but if say 10 people go to the careers office and the recruiter needs to fill say 4 places, it is highly likely that the recruiter will take one look at any association with drugs and put your son's file to the very bottom of the pile.

4. I know what you are saying is true, and a careers advisor is probably most likely to do that.

On the otherhand though, my son may be no different to any of the other applicants. All "may" have used some sort of drugs in the past, but my son was stupid enough to be caught in possession. By this I mean although the other applicants records may be squeaky clean, they too may have been a former drug addict. Putting them at no advantage above my son in anyway.

My advise to him is going to be apply. He wasn't convicted just cautioned. Under the HM Armed Forces Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act he doesn't have to declare a caution. He is not applying for a dental, legal,medical, nursing or police trade.

5. They would be at a huge advantage as the careers office would only see a squeeky clean record as opposed to one with 2 cautions for drug offences on it.

I agree that a large percentage of applicants have probably used cannabis or other drugs in the past, but as far as the careers office is concerned, if it is not on your record and you don't mention it, they are not going to know about it.

Unfortunately for your son it will be on his record, twice. Therefore it will be a topic of discussion and something the careers office will definitely take into consideration.

My advice would be for your son to apply and see how he gets on, the careers office may advise you differently. Under no circumstances should he try to hide anything as they will perform a detailed CRB and security check and the Police cautions will show up even if they are spent.

Best of luck

6. Yes, I totally agree with everything you have said. My point about them being at no advantage over my son is that they may have all used some kind of drugs in the past....so in reality they are just the same. But unfortunately as you have pointed out, he has been found to be a user putting them at an advantage. I totally agree.

Its not about lieing. Its using the law. If he doesn't disclose them he hasn't lied because they are spent. The Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act, gives him the right to ignore the caution and not declare it. He isn't applying for a dental,legal,medical, nursing or police trade. I agree that it may show up, but by law he doesn't have to declare it and it is illegal to not employ someone because of an unspent conviction. Aslong as it doesn't have any relevence to the job. Now I can't see why possession of cannabis would have any relevance to becoming an infanteer.

7. On an application, when asked whether or not an applicant has had any trouble with the police, if you leave that blank and two cautions crop up during a CRB check, what is the recruiter going to think?

Honesty is always the best policy.

With regard to what drug use has to do with wanting to be an infantry soldier- drug use by one member of a troop/platoon potentially puts the entire body of men at risk. Impaired judgement, delayed reaction times, poor memory, the list is endless.

So in response, it has everything to do with wanting to be an infanteer.

8. What he said. :roll:

9. I would say just get your lad to apply and see how he gets on. As has been highlighted already honesty is by far the best policy when it comes to convictions or otherwise. However if your lad is commited to joining the Corps i suggest he does things that shows him in a good light I.E voluntary work or finishing his education and scoring high marks as this would be favourable to the recruiting bod. Basically the Corps are looking for commited individuals who wont waste their time and effort as its a demanding course. If your lad has kept his nose clean and his cautions are null and void i again suggest he applies anyway.

There are some good AFCO bods on this site that can help you. Ninjastoker and supermario are the people you should be P.Ming.

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Gally
    from memory (its been a while) the caution still counts as an actual conviction. Ninja and Mario are much more up to date than I am and without wanting to pee on other persons advice are generally the only ones whose advice is likely to be worth taking to heart.

11. If my boy was caught with drugs, he'd be so long recovering from a good kicking he'd be told old to join up.

Having two cautions for taking drugs shows that he had a serious problem either with drugs or authority, otherwise after the first warning, he'd have got his shit together and sorted himself out...but he didn't, he continued to take drugs and he's so fukcing dense he got caught again...

I employ several people and in the past have given people the benefit of the doubt and the second chance...not anymore...spending money training these fukcwits is a drain on resources. It's not necessarily an addiction to an illegal substance, it's a lack of moral fibre. Neither of these qualities are sought by the military.

The fact that you seem to think that these cautions shouldn't be a problem speaks volumes on the type of upbringing he has received. You're not a fukcing hippy are you?

13. Sorry XRD old friend...but that's exactly what the clown said !!!

14. Indeed he did. My comment retracted although the rest of my reply stands!!

15. [quote="Gally]

On the otherhand though, my son may be no different to any of the other applicants. All "may" have used some sort of drugs in the past, but my son was stupid enough to be caught in possession. By this I mean although the other applicants records may be squeaky clean, they too may have been a former drug addict. Putting them at no advantage above my son in anyway.

16. Caught twice=Learning difficulties or just thick?

17. ISTR the tale of a guy who went SBS and had some sort of flashback whilst diver training? Anybody else hear that dit?

18. Was that the one where he thought he was Buster Crabb and went and did a recce on a Cross Channel Ferry mistaking it for a Russian Cruiser, No? Just me then? Damned hash cakes!

19. Although a caution is an admission of guilt it is not a conviction. The information from the home office website verifies this. Now I am not saying that this won't or shouldn't affect his application but, when cautioned you are not convicted.

Source; http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/powers/cautioning/

Thankyou X.R.D.

My lad has come on leaps and bounds. He's took his NVQ'S in Electrical Installation and obtained NVQ 2&3, aswell as the 17th Edition, which makes him a fully Qualified Installation Engineer. I'm really happy with his progress. Ofcourse I'm not happy with how he acted as a teenager but I can't go back in time. I didn't find out about these cautions until recently, the police don't disclose them to a parent once the offender is over 18.

All I want is the best for him, and joining the Royal Marines is what he wants to do. He isn't a drug addict and he just wants to be given an opportunity. I've told him its out of his hands and the only people who can decide is the powers that be in the armed forces. What will be will be, as they say.

I can't find any reason why he shouldn't apply though, the worst that can happen is to be given a no as an answer. Then he can get on with his life.