Joining up tomorrow 13/03.06,help needed asap please!!

[quote="NozzyNozzer"

How's your son getting on?[/quote]

He has just gone back today for his Final Kit Muster on Weds and also has Dartmoor to look forward to this weekend,he was a bit apprehensive about going back,then I mentioned that everyone is in the same shoes as him he was OK,and I think in a way he missed the mates he has made in there.

But they all have a fitness test tomorrow as well as having a Drugs test!!

Nicks said:
[quote="NozzyNozzer"

How's your son getting on?

But they all have a fitness test tomorrow as well as having a Drugs test!![/quote]
How many drugs do they have to be taking these days to pass?

Lingyai said:
Nicks said:
[quote="NozzyNozzer"

How many drugs do they have to be taking these days to pass?[/quote]

They had one test on there first week there and as they have just got back from 2 weeks leave in the real world I suppose it is only natural they want to check them all again.

To be honest,it makes sense to me.

Nicks said:
Lingyai said:
Nicks said:
[quote="NozzyNozzer"

How many drugs do they have to be taking these days to pass?
They had one test on there first week there and as they have just got back from 2 weeks leave in the real world I suppose it is only natural they want to check them all again.

To be honest,it makes sense to me.[/quote]

Well is it really any different to searching you for fags when you returned from long leave at Shotley?

The other thing I forgot to mention that was 2 of the lads in the Class were back classed for failing the Military training,they were OK on the range but didnt pass the exam on the SAE 80 theory side of things! And they are really strict on these things now.

He also said when he was home that they onlyplace you get beasted in the gym by all these mad Marine instructors.

They have the final Kit muster tomorrow and he isnt looking forward to that,(then again who did??)

Also they dont get there Number 1 uniform until week 6 now,so at least he hasnt got to get the creases spot on in the white fronts.

Just wanted to say thanks Nicks for this thread. I have been lurking around the site for a while as a guest, my husband is ex RN and my son has just successfully completed all the entrance tests. Hopefully he will be at Raleigh by the end of the year and I have been dropping in to reaquaint myself with the jargon and the sense of humour! All the information you have given about what he can expect at Raleigh is brilliant and much appreciated. Times have changed a bit since my old man was at Ganges and obviously boyo doesn't listen to his Dad anyway. Keep it coming!

No Problem with keeping you updated.

Had his final Kit Muster yesterday and passed it although they found a bit of fluff in his trouser pockets and he forgot to put his name on his tin of boot polish.

3 lads failed it and they are all mucking in to get them thru the retake apparently,off to Dartmoor on Sat am for there 30k hike.

Nicks said:
The other thing I forgot to mention that was 2 of the lads in the Class were back classed for failing the Military training,they were OK on the range but didnt pass the exam on the SAE 80 theory side of things! And they are really strict on these things now.

He also said when he was home that they onlyplace you get beasted in the gym by all these mad Marine instructors.

They have the final Kit muster tomorrow and he isnt looking forward to that,(then again who did??)

Also they dont get there Number 1 uniform until week 6 now,so at least he hasnt got to get the creases spot on in the white fronts.
Only get beasted in the gym: well nothing new there really, except the ONLY bit. Thinking about it, if I had to do my time again I would prefer to go to modern day Raleigh than 1960s Ganges, not least because the training is considerably shorter! Mind you there were things I did enjoy (science and navigation) :D

Sandygib, don't let your husband's tales of Ganges give you sleepless nights when your son goes to Raleigh. That was a very different era and the treatment routinely meted out to many of us would simply not be tolerated by either the media, the public or Parliament today as it once was. Just think of the furore Deepcut has caused. What went on at Ganges makes Deepcut sound like a holiday camp! :roll: By the sound of it, what goes on at Raleigh makes Deepcut sound like Naval DQs in the 1960s!

Im an Ex Ganges boy myself and as Nozzy says,its a holiday camp compared to Ganges.

They even have Sky Sports to watch when they get a bit of free time!!!!

Whats the Navy coming to I ask myself?

dt018a9667

War Hero
Nicks said:
No Problem with keeping you updated.

Had his final Kit Muster yesterday and passed it although they found a bit of fluff in his trouser pockets and he forgot to put his name on his tin of boot polish.

3 lads failed it and they are all mucking in to get them thru the retake apparently,off to Dartmoor on Sat am for there 30k hike.

[/So they are really learning now helping their oppos out!!]

Nicks said:
Im an Ex Ganges boy myself and as Nozzy says,its a holiday camp compared to Ganges.

I met a guy some years ago who was there in the 1970s: apparently they were allowed to watch MOTD on a TV in their mess! Personally I think it must be a myth. TVs in Juniors' messes at Ganges! 8O Perhaps the concession followed the participation of Jimmy Hill in the Donaldson Committee which looked into, amongst other things, the long engagements we used to volunteer for as innocent 15 year olds, before we knew what awaited us...

Thanks all for the comforting words but will point out that as a mother I am duty bound to have sleepless nights and worry myself sick whilst he is at Raleigh - thats what we do!! Seriously tho I think being prepared is most of the battle and the forums really help with that.

sidon55

Lantern Swinger
NozzyNozzer said:
Nicks said:

I met a guy some years ago who was there in the 1970s: apparently they were allowed to watch MOTD on a TV in their mess! Personally I think it must be a myth. TVs in Juniors' messes at Ganges! 8O Perhaps the concession followed the participation of Jimmy Hill in the Donaldson Committee which looked into, amongst other things, the long engagements we used to volunteer for as innocent 15 year olds, before we knew what awaited us...
Have to agree about the TV, Nozz. In 1950 we were too busy sewing our names on our kit and pointing and grafting the tails on our hammocks to have time to watch TV even if one was in the mess. (Was it invented then) Even a radio would have been a luxury

dondon

MIA
D108 said:
Yep I'd do it again and would love at least one of my sons to join, not sure about my daughter though.
My daughter wanted to join ROYAL NAVY , but we managed to get her to go into RAF as a Medic instead . "I'm afraid wrens have not got a good reputation and they are all tarred with the same brush , having said that I have worked with some brilliant wrens , only trouble is the British Press seem to relish in scandal and the wrens got the bums rush , and they will alway's be known as wrens to me , apart from the QUARNNS of course , So to all the girls who work in DERRIFORD , you all look like real nurse's . I love you's all to bits , the patients do mention the uniform and you do look like proper nurses , which I'm sure does make a difference in there care ,

dt018a9667

War Hero
dondon said:
D108 said:
Yep I'd do it again and would love at least one of my sons to join, not sure about my daughter though.
My daughter wanted to join ROYAL NAVY , but we managed to get her to go into RAF as a Medic instead . "I'm afraid wrens have not got a good reputation and they are all tarred with the same brush , having said that I have worked with some brilliant wrens , only trouble is the British Press seem to relish in scandal and the wrens got the bums rush , and they will alway's be known as wrens to me , apart from the QUARNNS of course , So to all the girls who work in DERRIFORD , you all look like real nurse's . I love you's all to bits , the patients do mention the uniform and you do look like proper nurses , which I'm sure does make a difference in there care ,

Most heartily agree its not fair world is it poor old jenny does get bad press doesn’t she, and don’t you all start screaming at me. We old hands are proberly to blame for most of it as we are the ones who started most of it. And yes the QUARNNS do look like real nurses more please

dondon

MIA
dt018a9667 said:
dondon said:
D108 said:

Most heartily agree its not fair world is it poor old jenny does get bad press doesn’t she, and don’t you all start screaming at me. We old hands are proberly to blame for most of it as we are the ones who started most of it. And yes the QUARNNS do look like real nurses more please
Thanks for that mate , you would not believe how proud we were when she passed out last year , and she was top student , and had not told any of us before hand , so smart , brought tears to your eyes , when you look at some of the arseoles around these days, makes me sick the thought of some of the next generation coming through.

weejock28

Midshipman
Berniephot said:
Fair one shippers
wish i was going through ganges gate again, then east camp, out to gib, oh the buccaneer, throw sambawang in, then fast black to Boogie st, best dose i ever got

I met a guy some years ago who was there in the 1970s: apparently they were allowed to watch MOTD on a TV in their mess! Personally I think it must be a myth. TVs in Juniors' messes at Ganges! 8O Perhaps the concession followed the participation of Jimmy Hill in the Donaldson Committee which looked into, amongst other things, the long engagements we used to volunteer for as innocent 15 year olds, before we knew what awaited us...[/quote]

I was there in 1974 and there was no sign of a TV,so I have to say it is a myth.