Joining up tomorrow 13/03.06,help needed asap please!!

Ageing_Gracefully said:
Nicks said:
My other son is thinking about going in the Army,but not Infantry any help aprreciated on that one please??

He hasnt got any qualifacations by the way,but is into the Physical side of things and he doesnt fancy being a Bootneck either
Obviously you don't have any in spelling either, but if the lad is that bad he could always try for a commission (qualifications) :wink:
Leave my speeling out of this!! :cry:

I saw what had done and hoped I would get away with it!!

Well I got a 3/3 in NAMET :lol:

Father_Famine

Lantern Swinger
Berniephot said:
begs the question........would you do it again hhhmmmmm
Hi,
Been out 11 years now and never really missed it, made a complete break and moved oop North, went to Pompey for a weekend last year, went into Ruby's pulled up a stool and it was like I'd only popped out for a paper.

I would recommend it to anyone, and given my time again I would do it all again, given what I know now, I 'd have an even better time. :wink:

Edit: Forgot to wish your lad all the best Nick :)

I'd do it again aswell----- St Vincent 1956 ---six weeks in the new entry block no outside contact definately character building :lol:

The first bit is always the hardest --------it gets easier as you get older

harryaitch said:
Nicks said:
Berniephot said:
begs the question........would you do it again hhhmmmmm
Well I am afraid to say I would!!

How else do you get to meet people who remain friends for life in a way that can never be compared to Civvy Street??
Ganges 1962 Again!! You must be bloody joking!!!1
It would be OK today: "Ganges" wouldn't be allowed: it would be in violation of the Human Rights Act, the Health and Safety at Work Act, the Harassment Act, the Offences Against the Persons Act not to mention the Childrens Acts! The bell bottoms alone would be forbidden, just think of those grazed knees as you endlessly tripped over them in your nozzer days or flying down the mess aided by the long handle of a stiff brush!

I am amazed that recruits have to supply any of their own kit though? I suppose they must come from wealthier homes these days?

Out of curiousity: do Raleigh's inmates have to polish dustbins and do the messes still have spitkids?

I am amazed that recruits have to supply any of their own kit though? I suppose they must come from wealthier homes these days?

Out of curiousity: do Raleigh's inmates have to polish dustbins and do the messes still have spitkids?[/quote]

They give us a list of all the gear he must take,and off the top of my head it was;

7 pairs Boxer shorts
1 tracksuit
1 pair training Shoes
7 Wooden Coathangers
1 litre Water Bottle
Sewing needles
Black,White,Light Blue and Green Cotton(No more Housemaids then?)
Scissors
Washing and shaving Kit,not electric shaver tho!
Steam Iron
Casual Clothing
3 Bath Towels
Clothes Brush(Obviously not qualified to use Masking Tape yet)
Washing Powder or Liquid
£35.00 spending money for 8 weeks

Will let you know about polishing the dustbins and I always thought they were called Spit Kins in Messes?

D

Deleted 7

My brother is joining the RAF as an MP! Told him if he wishes to have no social life then crack on, he is now thinking of changing to driver!

Either way, he needs to hurry up and get in! I want my frigging car back!

capt-ahab

Lantern Swinger
NozzyNozzer said:
Out of curiousity: do Raleigh's inmates have to polish dustbins and do the messes still have spitkids?
Last time I was there (pretty recently) the spitkids were still there on the Messdecks! Cant recall the dustbins but the spitkids were certainly v shiny!

capt-ahab said:
Last time I was there (pretty recently) the spitkids were still there on the Messdecks! Cant recall the dustbins but the spitkids were certainly v shiny!
Perhaps they only had polished dustbins at Ganges because they used to make people climb into them and shout obscenities about themselves, which cannot be repeated in this clean forum, tempting though it is! I must admit I would have difficulty getting even my legs into a dustbin now, and it would need to be tipped over for me to get out again... such are the humiliations of middle-age (and overeating) :oops: For ex-St.Vincent's: were you forced to climb into a dustbin when you made a minor mistake and shout, amongst other things, that you were BLOODY RUBBISH, SIR!?

DozyBint

Midshipman
Nicks said:
My other son is thinking about going in the Army,but not Infantry any help aprreciated on that one please??

He hasnt got any qualifacations by the way,but is into the Physical side of things and he doesnt fancy being a Bootneck either
Nicks, pop over to ARRSE and post a query in the Seniors forum, like MerryDown did here. Explain that you've popped over from Rum Ration and you should get some decent advice. DON'T post your query in The NAAFI unless you're open to some more, erm, interesting suggestions as to a career choice for your son! :D

Just done his first week and so far so good,although after a couple of days he was thinking about coming home after the 4 weeks as he says all they were doing was sitting on there bums in lectures and signing forms,washing,ironing and getting up at 0530 etc.And as a 16year old it is a shock to the system,as we all know!!

But now he has done the fitness test and came 3rd(9 mins 20 secs),done the swimming test and by the sounds of it all starting to gell and bond together.Also he said that the lads he is with now all go together to Collingwood with him,which is a great idea.(Didnt happen in my day)

He has rediscovered his appettite which is always a good sign for him, and I think next week they are out on the Parade ground for the week.I suppose the bonus to them all is that they are all getting Easter leave as well.

Anymore info I get from his letters I will put up on here if you are all still willing to read my drivel.

By the way,thanks for all the good luck messages,have passed them on to him.

PompeySailor

Lantern Swinger
Signing forms.....please check that your son has not opened new bank accounts, cancelled any previous life insurance or endowment/savings policies, and understands what he has signed. Lloyds Bank, owing to their "special" relationship with Raleigh, are allowed to give a banking lecture, and I have had to unpick their problems more times than I care to remember! The lads sign anything that is put in front of them, often not understanding, I have seen guys come out with cheque books, credit cards, overdraft facilities, fee-paying accounts, all sorts.

Trouble is, that they all have to be shown the basics - from how to shave themselves to how to iron their kit. Many have no concept of how to survive without Mum, or without someone prompting them. It can be boring for those that have a grip on how to survive in the real world, but his professional training should be more interesting for him!

Thanks for the info,but they tell all new recruits that they must have a bank account before entering basic training,and he has had an account for 18 months now.

Nicks said:
Thanks for the info,but they tell all new recruits that they must have a bank account before entering basic training,and he has had an account for 18 months now.
I thought I was very grown having a Post Office Savings Account at 15 for my meagre pay. How times have changed.

How's your son getting on?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I found my old POSB from the mob the other day, sent it off for updating, they sent a new book back with the total all made up 5p. Apparantly its not enough to earn interest :roll:

janner said:
I found my old POSB from the mob the other day, sent it off for updating, they sent a new book back with the total all made up 5p. Apparantly its not enough to earn interest :roll:
Ditto Janner, mine is a little tatty, but still has 'AA Savings' printed clearly.
Haven't actually attempted to see if there is any money in it - if there is it's probably £sd still !!
I wonder if they are worth offering to the Maritime Museum ?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
whitemouse said:
janner said:
Ditto Janner, mine is a little tatty, but still has 'AA Savings' printed clearly.
Haven't actually attempted to see if there is any money in it - if there is it's probably £sd still !!
As I say they converted my entire saving One Shilling to 5 pence, put it into a new book and sent the new book back, so the old one disappears forever.

whitemouse said:
janner said:
Mine has the grand total of £1.27 in it! A fortune: just think how much nutty that would have bought in the early 60s. It might buy a largish bar today. That's inflation for you! :roll:

NozzyNozzer said:
Mine has the grand total of £1.27 in it! A fortune: just think how much nutty that would have bought in the early 60s. It might buy a largish bar today. That's inflation for you! :roll:
I can remeber when you could have a had a good run ashore on that, especially if you stuck to scrumpy.

Peter