Joining up.. Medical question..

Hi guys, got a couple of questions.

Thinking about joining up but worried I'll fail the medical due to scarring and/or because of tattoos. I tried to find the answer using the search function but all that it brought up were scarring related to self harm.

Basically, back and shoulders are covered in scars that are around five years old now. Most are white and flat.. does anyone know if this would be a bar to entry..

Also my chest was also covered in scars but they are now completely covered with a chest piece tattoo.. which I think could also bar me from entry due to the size??

FYI the scars are from a real bad case of acne that was worsened by medication at the time. I also haven't had a flare up of the acne since 2012 so think I'm clear of that..

Any answers would be appreciated!

Scars wouldn't be an issue, chest tat only a problem if it can be seen wearing full uniform.

Type tattoo regulations in the search bar, this has been asked and answered many many times.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Definitive medical advice can only be given by a service health professional once in possession of your full medical history.

In order to manage realistic expectations, as I'm fairly sure you know already: Repeat incidences of self harm and/or incidences within the last 3 years are likely to be a significant issue with regard medical suitability for service.

The reference source is in JSP 950, Section 4, annex L paragraph 36 & 37 https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/20160902-jsp-950-part-1-lft-6-7-7-pdf.259822/

Definitive medical advice can only be given by a service health professional once in possession of your full medical history.

In order to manage realistic expectations, as I'm fairly sure you know already: Repeat incidences of self harm and/or incidences within the last 3 years are likely to be a significant issue with regard medical suitability for service.

The reference source is in JSP 950, Section 4, annex L paragraph 36 & 37 https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/20160902-jsp-950-part-1-lft-6-7-7-pdf.259822/
I haven't self harmed, my question wasn't related to that.

Scars wouldn't be an issue, chest tat only a problem if it can be seen wearing full uniform.

Type tattoo regulations in the search bar, this has been asked and answered many many times.
Thanks for the reply, i was worried in regards to the scars as i have read that excessive scarring can be a bar to entry because the medical officer can deem it a risk with military clothing. i.e. rubbing with whatever i would be wearing.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I haven't self harmed, my question wasn't related to that.
Yep, apologies, I missed this bit:
FYI the scars are from a real bad case of acne that was worsened by medication at the time. I also haven't had a flare up of the acne since 2012 so think I'm clear of that..
As long as the acne has healed fully, as @WreckerL states, it's unlikely to be a significant issue as long as you are symptom & treatment-free.