Joining up- likely drafts and bases

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jp03, Sep 18, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I am joining HMS Raleigh on July 10th 2016 as a Medical Assistant, I was wondering if anybody would be able to provide me some answers for a couple of questions I have.
    Where are MA's often based amd drafted to? I appreciate Medical assistants are needed at every base.
    I live in little old Devon deep in the South West, does anybody know the likelyhood of getting Devonport as home port or somewhere close to the south west, again I'm aware that I will be sent as and where I am needed, I would just like some general advice/ info.
    I've read on here that MA's dont go to sea a lot, is this accurate, didnt add up to myself?

Any information anyone could provide me with would be grately appreciated!

From an aspiring MA!

2. Just depends on where they need you.
    You will do part of your training within a hospital Be it, Derriford in plymouth or QA in pompey

every ship will have MAs on board but there is also scope to work in the Sick bays of ANY of the shore bases.

What you will need to do is ensure you 'preferences' are up to date once you have joined. Assuming you would prefer the south west. Ensure plymouth ships are your first choice for sea drafts and the southwest is your first preference for shore drafts.

3. Thank you very much for your reply, it is much appreciated! Yeah I will be sure to get my preferences in for the southwest, will keep the partner happy!

Thanks again.

4. That's you jobbed for a lifetime of Portsmouth ships or shore drafts in Faslane then. A preference is a preference, not something anyone has to abide by when drafting you. Sometimes you'll (probably) get lucky, other times you won't.

Just make sure you and your partner go into this with your eyes open - it's a strong (and in my experience minority of) relationship which survives first contact with the armed forces. Much easier to get together once serving - at least then both sides know what they've signed up to.

This is not to say you won't be fine, I know people that arrived at basic with a fiancee and are still happily married 15 years down the track, so go for it. But they're a terrifyingly small minority of the relationships that existed when my entry started, and most bit the dust (sometimes exceptionally messily) in the first 12 months. One lad in my entry left in the first term to save his marriage. He rocked up for another try a year later and pulled the same stunt again.*

Just something to be aware of.

*he was massively popular with the staff and his AFCO as I'm sure you can imagine....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yeah I am aware that most likely there wont be much time spent with the misses! I'm obviously concerned, though excited to join up. So be it Faslane I'll be driving the length of the country a lot!
    A lot of my friends serve with the armed forces RN/ RM etc.
    I am very prepared for the diversity of the job, wherever it may be, my partner may not be so, but she is well briefed now. Obviously in the ideal world I wont be up north haha!
    Time will tell I suppose!

cheers, John!