Joining up at 33

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jenny_ginger, Dec 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm wanting to join the RN at 33. I've looked at the trades and the Aircraft Handler role is appealing. My concern is at 33 would I fit in at HMS Raleigh? I understand I'll be with people years younger than me. I don't want to be the only 'Nana'!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I dont think the FAA work too hard so you'll be fine workwise, as for age, fcuked if I would at 33 but someone more qualified than me will talk you through it in a bit.
  3. I hope you would fit in at 33 as I'm applying at 34 and by time I get to Raleigh I'll probably be 35!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I joined up at 32 and didn't find my age to be a problem at all. Biggest thing is the mess deck and the fact that you'll probably want to chill out and crack on with your kit and things rather than lark around all the time. I wasn't the oldest in the class either, there was one older than me and another a few months younger.

You'll probably even find that you are fitter than a lot of the 'kids' you're training with - I was constantly surprised by the lack of fitness in the younger guys compared to the older lot.
  5. I'm 27 and had the same concern but my Afco assured me it won't be a big issue. I start Raleigh In march and the biggest advice I got off my afco was don't let thru little turds that are like 16-18 and less mature get under my skin. Its only for ten weeks then I won't be dealing with them when I go into my branch. I'll be bearing it in mind
  6. Jenny

You won't be the oldest recruit who has ever been to HMS Raleigh:

Age no obstacle for sailor Robert (From The Bolton News)

What I would say is that you should start the recruitment process as soon as possible, though, especially as the waiting time may be longer than you expected. Ring the Careers Enquiry Line on 08456 07 55 55 today.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. What branch are you going into that you won't be working and/or living with young'uns?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RN Funeral Director ? Do they have those? :lol:
  9. My thoughts as well. Can't rmember a branch specifically for the over 25s when I was in.
  10. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The logistics recruits are usually quite young joiners from my experience. Maybe they'll just ignore Adro.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  11. Going into logs. I'm aware the large majority will be younger than me wherever, I was merely imparting the advice given to me by my afco for Raleigh as I'm sure it has made many a more mature individual 'bite' during their basic
  12. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You'll be with the same "little turds" from those 10 weeks basic training in your phase 2 training.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  13. I suppose I'll have to reincarnate my childish side then eh :)
  14. He will, but it's not as intense. In phase two you get to do your own thing in the evenings and at weekends - makes a huge difference!

Phase one was really hard for me being stuck in that pressure cooker environment with people 10 to 15 years younger than me. Completely different when you get out of basic training and even better when you complete phase two training too!
  15. I think that's probably what I was trying to convey.cheers.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I've just spent 8 weeks training with people I was 10-15 years older than (I'm 34) and it was fine. I kept out of the teenage issues and dramas as much as possible and found some things funny rather than enraging. Obviously you bring different things to the party and you may find the bullshit factor associated with training wears thin very quickly indeed. Play the game, you're all there for the same reason and have the same goals - age doesn't change that.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. You are not the first or last recruit over 30 everyone else has coped I am sure you will just do as your told and get on with it.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  18. Mate I rejoined at 31. I was constantly in the Snr rates mess pissing it up, but then again I had a green lid, gave a few slaps to a few muppets and in training for another course.
  19. Thanks for all your comments. Got the IPC in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll get through each stage and the waiting list won't be too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. I'll be starting at Raleigh 41 days the wrong side of 36 in February. I figure that as long as you are sure of your reasons for joining and you are happy to knuckle down, you should be fine. Maturity has never been one of my shortcomings though :)