Joining Up - A Thread For Parents/Guardians

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
Congratulations, we’re now in the position of having his records sent off , and a possible pmu due to a couple of courses of steroids when he was 2&3 which isn’t a issue but he had another 3day course at age 9 for a chest infection and a couple of precautionary inhalers upto 2016 , so I think it may be a bit of a drawn out process now , hes a little hurt at the thought of being made pmu but picked himself up and started applying for apprenticeship at the local truck dealerships just in case , so hopefully he scrapes through
Believe me we have taken nothing for granted. My son had some surgery when he was quite small and the F2F doctor said it could possibly be an issue. He has worked reasonably hard with his AS levels in the meanwhile so he had some sort of Plan B. Luckily they have confirmed he is OK to go. I think you need to keep an open mind on these things, you never know where life will take you, just make the most of every chance given to you. Let's hope it works out successfully for your son with his Navy application! Good luck to him.

Civvie dad

Midshipman
Believe me we have taken nothing for granted. My son had some surgery when he was quite small and the F2F doctor said it could possibly be an issue. He has worked reasonably hard with his AS levels in the meanwhile so he had some sort of Plan B. Luckily they have confirmed he is OK to go. I think you need to keep an open mind on these things, you never know where life will take you, just make the most of every chance given to you. Let's hope it works out successfully for your son with his Navy application! Good luck to him.
Cheers and yep he keeps a open mind as soon as he heard there may be a issue he was straight on to the garage who had him for work experience, it’s like he said he’s done everything he can possibly do by smashing his interview and getting his run down to 9.30 , so he understands it’s not his fault ,he’s older than his years and knows not everything is going to go your way through life and at least if the worst happens he’s still going to have the trade he wanted just not on ships , so now it’s upto the “gods” which direction life’s going to take him

EYE TEST CODE PROBLEM!

Hi everyone,

my 17 yr old is going through recruitment process currently.

He has had his eye test - and has great vision, but is struggling to move to the next stage as the code(s) provided are not working. His recruitment advisor has provided multiple codes for boots to input, but none of them work.

I’m trying to let him be independent and sort this out himself but this has been going on for 12 months now, and he is becoming more and more frustrated and disheartened, going backwards and forwards.

Are there any tips or advice about what he may be doing wrong? Or what may be missing? This is a block to him moving forward.

It‘s probable I don’t have all the information. But I can only work with what I’m given - so apologies in advance!

Thank you.

fishhead

War Hero
EYE TEST CODE PROBLEM!

Hi everyone,

my 17 yr old is going through recruitment process currently.

He has had his eye test - and has great vision, but is struggling to move to the next stage as the code(s) provided are not working. His recruitment advisor has provided multiple codes for boots to input, but none of them work.

I’m trying to let him be independent and sort this out himself but this has been going on for 12 months now, and he is becoming more and more frustrated and disheartened, going backwards and forwards.

Are there any tips or advice about what he may be doing wrong? Or what may be missing? This is a block to him moving forward.

It‘s probable I don’t have all the information. But I can only work with what I’m given - so apologies in advance!

Thank you.
The stock answer to problems such as these is to engage with your AFCO. I think you have been very patient to let it go on this long but that patience appears to have encouraged an air of indifference. It is time for your lad to start rattling some cages and ask for answers as to why his application has stopped in the water at the eye test stage. We have to assume that he has done everything to the letter But even if he hasn't he deserves a letter/call from the recruiters to explain the situation. Don't give up because we've heard some nightmare situations on this forum during the recruitment stage and mostly they get resolved.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mum's the Word

Midshipman
Well ladies and Gents, i will now have to officially leave this thread, lad passed out of Raleigh on 11-06 and is now at Collingwood for Phase 2. We did not have the easiest time before he was actually given a start date, backwards and forwards with Capita, not to mention Covid restrictions and his start date changing 4 times. But we got through- the Raleigh roller coaster was, shall we say interesting, glad my lad was a bit older and able to let things go over his head, without feeling the need to answer back etc, plus some of the younger recruits were obviously used to mum and Dad sticking up for them all the time- i heard one comment after a phone ban that a mum was gong to ring Raleigh and tell them they weren't allowed to take the phone from her recruit !! ( i promise i didn't laugh) . To all of you going through the joining Up phase- i wish you well, keep pushing and dont give up!

Civvie dad

Midshipman
The young fella has just had his paper review passed Pjft next week , face to face medical 14/7 and a start date of 6/12 needless to say he’s over the moon , not sure who’s pleased most me after seeing all his effort start to come together or him

Sumo

War Hero
The young fella has just had his paper review passed Pjft next week , face to face medical 14/7 and a start date of 6/12 needless to say he’s over the moon , not sure who’s pleased most me after seeing all his effort start to come together or him
Almost there, be able to rent his room out before Christmas, and book the big holiday, once Covid is under control.

Civvie dad

Midshipman
Almost there, be able to rent his room out before Christmas, and book the big holiday, once Covid is under control.
Wife’s having none of it , wants to be home for his 10 weeks, after that I’ve been given the all clear to book wherever will let us in , not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that he’s only there for 2 weeks before the Christmas break , on the other hand I’ve managed to get a fortnight off over Christmas this year so he’ll soon be wanting to go back after that long with me

Latest Threads