Joining Up - A Thread For Parents/Guardians

Sumo

War Hero
Just been discussing this elsewhere. (FaceAche)

The 60's listening to the radio, (no tv - well not in our house). If we wanted to watch something we watched the flames of the fire!

Saturdays were a trip to the local cinema for four hours of matinee films that were really - really bad. A couple of Mickey Ducks, maybe Buck Rogers or the Lone Ranger. (Mostly in B&W).

It certainly makes me wonder what will be next. The generations that are coming up now will at some time in the future be thinking similar thoughts, looking back at their lives thinking how their kids are and what tech they will have!!
All above but we did get a colour TV at the end of the 60s, our first TV , so far could what the world cup in 66 shame it was B&W. We used to look through the radi and TV times just to see what we could what in colour.
If its any consolation, my bunch of little muppets constantly ask me stupid shit like did we have TV when I was young!

Apparently anything before 2000 is literally the dinosaur era
My kids studied the Falklands in history?

pompeyexpat

War Hero
When I went through WEMs course in '91
I recatted in 74.
I got married (first time!) in 76.
To put those dates into context; I've done a few weeks short of 30 years and I am looked at as ancient by the Officer Cadets (and some of staff) here who were all born after I joined up....and I wasn't born until 1972, so if I'm ancient it's probably a wonder some of you are still alive!

Sumo

War Hero

To put those dates into context; I've done a few weeks short of 30 years and I am looked at as ancient by the Officer Cadets (and some of staff) here who were all born after I joined up....and I wasn't born until 1972, so if I'm ancient it's probably a wonder some of you are still alive!
I check every morning to see if I am ;)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
At school in the 1950's one mates parents had a telly, black and white the size of an envelope, it wasn't uncommon for half a dozen of us to go home with him and sit on the floor of their front room watching anything that was on, in black and white.
I joined the RN in 1960, below is a picture of my first day, sweet 16 and Mother made me wear the vest. Dusty Rhodes, next to me in the picture, and I, met up again on Facebook a couple of years ago and are still in touch. Both went to Boats.
Looking back, I'm amazed that I'm still alive, great times as a Matelot in the @60's

Attachments

• 18835789_1083010115176840_1637785553328421626_n.jpg
    18835789_1083010115176840_1637785553328421626_n.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 12

Sumo

War Hero

Had my SD papers raised once, but Schoolie in Drake was a knob and pre my Dyslexia test, then there was a big cut back on how many were being promoted via the SD route, from almost everyone that past the papers to about 1 or 2 per year. I decided withdraw papers and do a degree insted, and leave at 40 time done, for me i think the right choice.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Now I've seen your quote of my post I've remembered I was halfway through a previous answer about accommodation blocks.

When I went through WEMs course in '91....WEMs lived in Nile to begin with, then moved to Finisterre if they couldn't do joined up writing (became a WEM(O) ) or Saintes if they could (WEM(R) ). There was a 4th block, Camperdown, but that was empty and locked up.

There was a TV in the block office that was all melted from a fire and at some point in the '80s someone in Saintes had set fire to their mattress; the carpet in my mess still had melted mattress on it.

The 'tiffs had 4 blocks too but the only one I can remember the name of is Barfleur. Ships Company and those on LWEMs QC lived in the fancy new stuff in Bryson hall. By the time I went back on Mechs course in '01 Phase 1's lived in Bryson Hall and we lived in the same stuff that had gone up where Nile/Saintes etc had been.

canouanislander

Midshipman
At school in the 1950's one mates parents had a telly, black and white the size of an envelope, it wasn't uncommon for half a dozen of us to go home with him and sit on the floor of their front room watching anything that was on, in black and white.
I joined the RN in 1960, below is a picture of my first day, sweet 16 and Mother made me wear the vest. Dusty Rhodes, next to me in the picture, and I, met up again on Facebook a couple of years ago and are still in touch. Both went to Boats.
Looking back, I'm amazed that I'm still alive, great times as a Matelot in the @60's
oh my goodness Janner you look so young! The vest is a winner though ... gotta love us mums!