Joining Up - A Thread For Parents/Guardians

Lad off to PRNC in Scotland tomorrow, so we ( his mum) is checking the list and packing , not too bad this time .
But sure I read something about Rayleigh and what's the right case/holdall to take? Any suggestions what he'll need to pack.( Or not need ) .. I'm going to sort it while he's away

Lad off to PRNC in Scotland tomorrow, so we ( his mum) is checking the list and packing , not too bad this time .
But sure I read something about Rayleigh and what's the right case/holdall to take? Any suggestions what he'll need to pack.( Or not need ) .. I'm going to sort it while he's away
No right or wrong case or holdall for RALEIGH ;)

Just as long as it can fit in all the gear he needs. It'll go into the baggage store once he gets there anyway.

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
We needed a fairly big one, their boots take up a huge amount of space and then there is the big box of washing powder too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Mrs Plum, Do we have to buy his boots to take down? I didn't know that thought he got them with his uniform.
So next question which does he need?

We needed a fairly big one, their boots take up a huge amount of space and then there is the big box of washing powder too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fill the boots up with small items, pants,, socks etc, surprising how much you can fit in an average sized case if you pack properly ;)

Hi All

I am probably tempting fate by posting this on here but am pleased to say that after all previous hiccups and unfortunate happenings that have come our way since September my lad now has another PRNC date for mid-June and a new Raleigh start date for mid-July.

Only issue that he has now is that it will be a challenge for him to keep his exercise regime up as I am wrapping him in cotton wool and keeping him in a safe room away from Hurricanes ;)

Feeling frustrated! Daughter applied January, fitness, medical, 3 interviews all successful but still no further forward. Anyone know why it takes soooo long? College finishes in 2 week, we're all really unhappy

Feeling frustrated! Daughter applied January, fitness, medical, 3 interviews all successful but still no further forward. Anyone know why it takes soooo long? College finishes in 2 week, we're all really unhappy
What branch and role is she applying for, that can make a big difference? Also get her to speak to her recruiter.

Last edited:
It has taken my son since November 2016 until last week to do his PRNC and start HMS Raleigh in July so she may have to wait a while longer yet but as Sumo says the branch and role can make a big difference to the timescale!

Took just over a year for our lad, but I think it's dependant on role, his is going in as Aircraft Handler and says quite a few of them with him at Raleigh.

Thanks for your replies, she's applied for acceralated apprenticeship surface fleet. Her Advisor just keeps saying that they are waiting for dates. I guess I will have to be more patient

Thanks for your replies, she's applied for acceralated apprenticeship surface fleet. Her Advisor just keeps saying that they are waiting for dates. I guess I will have to be more patient
It can be a bit of a waiting game, but that doesn't stop the applicant being prepared, staying fit and healthy a must, once in the RN they will have to do all their own cleaning, shoe polishing, washing and ironing, any practice they can get prior to joining will help, as a number of new recruit's struggle with kit musters.
They also get to learn there are 2 of every number in a 24 hour period. They will often be required to work long days, because when they have finished the training for the day, they will still have to prepare their own kit for the next day. for some it can be a difficult and punishing time, be as ready as possible will help. all they have to remember is basic training is a right of access to the RN, it is not how the RN normally functions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Seb1664 UPO/Careers Office 1
T Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
L RFA 2