Joining Up - A Thread For Parents/Guardians

Yes, may be, be flexible, just about covers all your questions, he is not joining a normal 9-5 job but as a member of the WAFU team about as close as it gets.
Cheers. Aware its not 9-5 career and with Raleigh having set breaks I thought Culdrose may through training (10 Months I think).
After that hopefully he'll get out and see some of the world over the next few years so phone calls and postcards can keep his little brother happy.
He will get block summer leave at CU, and when he can get it embarked, if his oppo is getting married and needs the time off I'm sure young chocks would step in and do retard leave. Best not try and plan too much, as most of us know, things can change at very short notice.

Plus he's already in the UK's fave holiday area for the summer, don't expect him home until winter.

**Air Station/Ship corrected just to be pedantic :)
Apologies I stand corrected

He will get block summer leave at CU, and when he can get it embarked, if his oppo is getting married and needs the time off I'm sure young chocks would step in and be the duty retard . Best not try and plan too much, as most of us know, things can change at very short notice.

Plus he's already in the UK's fave holiday area for the summer, don't expect him home until winter.

**Air Station/Ship corrected just to be pedantic (you)? :)
FNC :rolleyes:

Cheers. Aware its not 9-5 career and with Raleigh having set breaks I thought Culdrose may through training (10 Months I think).
After that hopefully he'll get out and see some of the world over the next few years so phone calls and postcards can keep his little brother happy.

Apologies I stand corrected
Postcards, you have no idea how difficult it is to go ashore to buy postcards.

Hi , latest questions, he's joining to become an Naval Aircraft Handler, so off to HMS Culdrose for several months training.

Does he go there straight from HMS Raleigh on passing out?

Is there set holiday dates at HMS Culdrose for those in training?

Once a fully Operational member of the Royal Navy is your holiday allocated as to when your ship is in dock or if land based around other workers?

He has a young brother and we're planning holidays to hopefully coincide with our chockheads leave.
He will get block summer leave at CU, and when he can get it embarked, if his oppo is getting married and needs the time off I'm sure young chocks would step in and do retard leave. Best not try and plan too much, as most of us know, things can change at very short notice.

**Air Station/Ship corrected just to be pedantic :)
Culdrose was HMS Seahawk last time I looked, Heron is Yeovilton, just to be pedantic :)

Hi all,
Fantastic news for my son: the CPO at AFCO just sent home the news that she has spoken to AIB and they have granted him the education waiver. He is now officially a Pilot Officer applicant.

We never dared hope but he is over the moon!

Hello everyone, I'm back!

Well after waiting ages my son has finally got his date for Raleigh - typically it was very short notice and the date that he was given to attend his PRNC coincided with a Post-Hurricane Maria relief aid trip to Dominica that he is undertaking with his dad and younger brother and if that wasn't bad enough he also has had to fit in updating his PJFT! He re-scheduled his PRNC so gets back from the relief aid mission on the Friday and goes to PRNC on the following Monday and then, assuming that he passes) starts at HMS Raleigh one week afterwards! An 18 month wait and then it all happens at once but the purpose of my post is really to find out if anyone can provide me with a copy of the kit list for Raleigh as he will only have a week to source everything and I don't want him to get caught out if there is anything unusual or a little awkward to source.

Thanks in advance.

PS I know! Before anyone says it I am a mum probably worrying for nothing but that's what mum's do. :eek:

Congrats to your boy, a well worthy reason to change his RN dates around.
Some one will he able to help?
He will be sent a kit list, so if you have his permission to open stuff from navy, you will come across it eventually?

There is a Facebook page full of Mum’s that are worrying (probably about nothing) about their kids during Phase 1, HMS Raleigh families (and phase 2 & beyond). I’m sure someone on there can provide the kit list.

Hello everyone, I'm back!

Well after waiting ages my son has finally got his date for Raleigh - typically it was very short notice and the date that he was given to attend his PRNC coincided with a Post-Hurricane Maria relief aid trip to Dominica that he is undertaking with his dad and younger brother and if that wasn't bad enough he also has had to fit in updating his PJFT! He re-scheduled his PRNC so gets back from the relief aid mission on the Friday and goes to PRNC on the following Monday and then, assuming that he passes) starts at HMS Raleigh one week afterwards! An 18 month wait and then it all happens at once but the purpose of my post is really to find out if anyone can provide me with a copy of the kit list for Raleigh as he will only have a week to source everything and I don't want him to get caught out if there is anything unusual or a little awkward to source.

Thanks in advance.

PS I know! Before anyone says it I am a mum probably worrying for nothing but that's what mum's do. :eek:
Hi @MotivatingMum , I put up a kit list a while ago for someone else, just had to find it, sorry it did take me a while, here goes :)
Iron (good one), watch (waterproof), white laundry marker (order from Amazon), black permanent marker, 3 large towels, housewife's kit, basic first aid kit (plasters,etc), 6 wooden coat hangars, 2 black shoe polish, 1 brown shoe polish, 3 sets brushes for polishing shoes/boots, 5 yellow dusters, 2 pressing (ironing) clothes OR large handkerchiefs, hand washing powder, laundry detergent (in case you manage to use the washing machine), underwear (take at least 7) and they should be dark/black in colour, sleepwear, personal toiletries, black pens for admin/paperwork and about £70.00 just in case he needs to buy anything from NAAFI before being paid and don't take any extra civvie clothes, no space as he'll be in uniform the whole time. Also take a pack of cotton balls for bulling/polishing shoes. Not on the list but take wet wipes and cheap toothbrushes for cleaning soles of boots.
Hope this helps and good luck :D