Joining Up - A Thread For Parents/Guardians

We hope your lads got half the sense of humour you have.
You've nearly cost me two cups of coffee. :) By eck we aught to make you an honoury, would member! be appropriate!!!

Last edited:
hi can anyone help

my step son is joining in July it's the 3rd I think.. could be wrong:-

does he get any chance for his mother to visit during the 10 weeks at Rayliegh?
when will the passing out be? we live in the North in Alnwick, so going to book a few days holiday for the family to make it easy to be there on the day,

thank you

hi can anyone help

my step son is joining in July it's the 3rd I think.. could be wrong:-

does he get any chance for his mother to visit during the 10 weeks at Rayliegh?
when will the passing out be? we live in the North in Alnwick, so going to book a few days holiday for the family to make it easy to be there on the day,

thank you

It won’t be 03 July, possibly the 1st or the 8th?

You won’t get an opportunity to visit during his phase 1, however summer leave falls in the middle of it so he’ll be home for 4 weeks. Raleigh summer leave is Friday 03 August till Monday 03 September. Phase 1 recruits travel on the Saturday though (Friday is a full day of training) and will have to be back by 2000 on Sunday 02 September.

It may be of interest to you, but there is a Facebook page, HMS Raleigh parents (and phase 2 & beyond), where lots of others that are either in the same position as you, or have been recently, can chat and offer support & advice to each other. I was at Raleigh yesterday and spoke to some of the parents that are in there, and they’ve found it very useful.

It won’t be 03 July, possibly the 1st or the 8th?

You won’t get an opportunity to visit during his phase 1, however summer leave falls in the middle of it so he’ll be home for 4 weeks. Raleigh summer leave is Friday 03 August till Monday 03 September. Phase 1 recruits travel on the Saturday though (Friday is a full day of training) and will have to be back by 2000 on Sunday 02 September.

It may be of interest to you, but there is a Facebook page, HMS Raleigh parents (and phase 2 & beyond), where lots of others that are either in the same position as you, or have been recently, can chat and offer support & advice to each other. I was at Raleigh yesterday and spoke to some of the parents that are in there, and they’ve found it very useful.
That's great thank you , I got the date wrong it's June so still must be the 1st as you say. So looks like he'll be home for 4 weeks and then back for 1 week to finish. so always start and finish on a Friday?

Cheers for direction to the facebook page, I've set the twitter up for his mum too.

Recruits join on a Sunday, the pass out is always a Friday. Joining the first weekend in June will still have his training interrupted by leave so to know when he’s passing out simply count 14 weeks from the day he joins.

There is always the possibility of him being ‘training extended’ for some reason though, whether that’s injury/illness or as a result of failing some element of the training and having to redo it, so I would always advise having insurance or booking somewhere with a reasonable cancellation policy.

thank
Recruits join on a Sunday, the pass out is always a Friday. Joining the first weekend in June will still have his training interrupted by leave so to know when he’s passing out simply count 14 weeks from the day he joins.

There is always the possibility of him being ‘training extended’ for some reason though, whether that’s injury/illness or as a result of failing some element of the training and having to redo it, so I would always advise having insurance or booking somewhere with a reasonable cancellation policy.
cheers, so its the 3rd June which is what he was told on the phone I think. and good advice on the cancellation, think we'll hold back on booking anything and hope for a last minute deal on flights and accommodation.

My son is joining 1st july
That will be 4 weeks in, then 4 weeks at home, remember not to spoil him, regard less, that you want to. The 4 week break in part 1 training is a time youngsters quit as they compare luxury of home to basic training. Get him to wash and iron all him stuff the navy way, throw some of yours in so he can show you how its done. Household chores, he will be a dab hand. Change his room completely so he isn't come home to what he knows, tough love?

That will be 4 weeks in, then 4 weeks at home, remember not to spoil him, regard less, that you want to. The 4 week break in part 1 training is a time youngsters quit as they compare luxury of home to basic training. Get him to wash and iron all him stuff the navy way, throw some of yours in so he can show you how its done. Household chores, he will be a dab hand. Change his room completely so he isn't come home to what he knows, tough love?

Whereas i join end of feb, Raleigh for 5 weeks and off to Spain over Easter break - oh it's a tough life.

Whereas i join end of feb, Raleigh for 5 weeks and off to Spain over Easter break - oh it's a tough life.
I know, that's what I told my misses when I called from the Bahamas, I told her out was a tough job, but someone had to do it, she was very understanding, when I sometimes called after a night out, and forgot the time zone difference, not so understanding?

Hi , latest questions, he's joining to become an Naval Aircraft Handler, so off to HMS Culdrose for several months training.

Does he go there straight from HMS Raleigh on passing out?

Is there set holiday dates at HMS Culdrose for those in training?

Once a fully Operational member of the Royal Navy is your holiday allocated as to when your ship is in dock or if land based around other workers?

He has a young brother and we're planning holidays to hopefully coincide with our chockheads leave.

Hi , latest questions, he's joining to become an Naval Aircraft Handler, so off to HMS Culdrose for several months training.

Is there set holiday dates at HMS Culdrose for those in training?

Once a fully Operational member of the Royal Navy is your holiday allocated as to when your ship is in dock or if land based around other workers?

He has a young brother and we're planning holidays to hopefully coincide with our chockheads leave.
Yes, may be, be flexible, just about covers all your questions, he is not joining a normal 9-5 job but as a member of the WAFU team about as close as it gets.

Is there set holiday dates at **RNAS Culdrose (HMS Heron) for those in training?

He will get block summer leave at CU, and when he can get it embarked, if his oppo is getting married and needs the time off I'm sure young chocks would step in and do retard leave. Best not try and plan too much, as most of us know, things can change at very short notice.

Plus he's already in the UK's fave holiday area for the summer, don't expect him home until winter.

**Air Station/Ship corrected just to be pedantic :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L RFA 2
R Submariners 38
W RMR 45