Joining up "a little older" than some

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kiwi-Fi, Jun 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey there,

Am new to this site and am finding it really helpful. Was just looking for feedback from anyone who has joined towards the top end of the age limit.

I'm a female, aged 33 and am really keen to join up. I can make the minimum fitness requirements and as the branch I want to go in to has a 12 month waiting time, have plenty of time to get much fitter.

Seems weird thinking of myself as getting on a bit, still feel about mmm 26....

Any one out there who is or has been in the same position? Would love to hear your experience. :thumright:
  2. well i am going through the process at 35 so good luck
  3. Hi,

I joined up last year at the age of 27 and I wasn't the oldest in our intake to Raleigh. There seems to be a wide range of age groups go through every time, not just young uns.

You might find the just out of school ones a bit childish at times but then they are children, and just out of school. Having a mix of ages is good though as you get the mix of experience that goes with it.

Which branch are you joining?
  4. Thanks for that. I have no worries about getting along with the young uns. I'm looking at joining the Hydrographic branch.
  5. Ahhh Kiwi Fi? Where does the Kiwi fit in? IF you are 33 and IF you are female, then why hydrographics? Is there a hydrographics branch (other RR's welcome about now, and am happy to be corrected)? Sorry this thread has WALT written all over it for me! (But happily corrected as I said Kiwi, so PM me?)
  6. Sorry am not up to speed on all the lingo so have no idea what WALT refers to. Kiwi comes in because I am presently in New Zealand although am in fact Scottish born and bred :)

Hydrographics because that is where my interests lie. Currently working in the Geotechnical field.

Definitely female and definitley 33 unless I am going senile....
  7. WALT as in Walter Mitty. Been someone your not. If you are in NZ, then happy days! Have a NZ passport myself and am female in 30's. Kiwi Fi welcome! Sorry for the hesitation. If you say you live in Wellington, love rugby and have a K-bar in your hand, then I think we may have been separated at birth :thanks:
    Am a nurse and thinking RNR myself, so your not alone!
  8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Be happy. Because you are being corrected. There is a Hydrograpics Branch. As a potential member of the RN, and I include the RNR, you might do better to familiarise yourself with the organisation that you aspire to join before being so cavalier with the WALT tag.
  9. Or you might find yourSELF branded a Walt, and we wouldn't want that now, would we, with all your Naval experience ;)
  10. Pinta slow down chook.
  11. Dear Kiwi Fi,

Like your self I'm going thorough the motions on I'm 31 this year.. Jsut to let you know when i sat my aptitude tests the average age was 28+ it seams there are alot of people disillusioned with normal life, who want to join the navy and wished they did it 10 years ago. It also seams no one can afford to buy/rent a property in the uk, and then afford a pension which I hear the RN supplies both. Plus a great quality of life, adventure and hopefully a bunch of mates that won't let you down, like in civvy street.

The fox
  12. Theres not so much of a Hydrographic branch now. Its the HM branch (Hydrographic/Met), have just been reliably informed by a Survery recorder whom I work next to. Apparently you join in the HM branch and learn both the Survery Recorder side of life aswell as the Met side too.
  13. :toilet: Its not your age you need to bother about, don't matter how old you are so long as a. You are fit enought & b. Have the right mental attitude, the mental attitude is the most important me thinks and an example of that is ex Servicemen joining the Police Force (Sorry, service), most of them are not in their 20's but 30's & 40's but watch them in the gym, swimming, on the assault course or whatever and more often than not, they do much better than they're younger counterparts. Age = experience, a level head and a better attitude so go for it. Beating the young in physical exercises is oh so rewarding ! :tp:
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

15. :blob4: :thumright:
  16. see i'm going the other way
    after quarter of a century in the RN
    (and 5 years before that in the merchant navy) I have finally decided to vote with my feet and am joining the RNZN in november
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Seems a shame after you were just begining to get the hang of the RN, Buck :thumright:

Ah well, good on yer cobblers!
  18. Well have read up loads on what the job involves and also loads of good info on here and the navy website. Can see no reason not to go for it.

Just one other question, is the T-Bird leather jacket standard issue or being a chick to I have to go for the really tight shiny black leggings and red high heels?

19. Ninja_Stoker

Yes to the latter.

20. I second that, and could we have a photo of you in that rig please ?