Joining the Royal Marines with asthma

Hello everyone,
I am thinking of a career in the royal marines, but I have asthma ( well have had asthma), I was diagnosed when I was a small child, around 3 or 4. I haven't been prescribed with any treatment for around 4 years now and I am not affected by my asthma anymore, not evening when taking part in physical exercise. by the time I want to sign up it will be way over 4 years since my last prescription. I was just wondering if I stand a good chance of getting through the selection process, and i will be eligible in the first place.

Any replies are appreciated.
Many thanks.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As long as you were not prescribed steroidal inhalers, weren't admitted to hospital for the condition, successfully undertake a four week peak flow diary and you GP confirms you are free from asthma and fully more than four years free from asthma signs, symptoms & treatment, you should be OK in that respect.

The thing you need to do now is get yourself fully fit before you apply. You need to be aiming for 7 minute miles over three miles, 40-60 close-arm press-ups in two mins, 60-80 knees together sit-ups in two mins & 8-16 back-handed pull-ups straight after completing the disciplines already listed.

Good luck.