Joining the Royal Marines with asthma

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jakob, Mar 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,
    I am thinking of a career in the royal marines, but I have asthma ( well have had asthma), I was diagnosed when I was a small child, around 3 or 4. I haven't been prescribed with any treatment for around 4 years now and I am not affected by my asthma anymore, not evening when taking part in physical exercise. by the time I want to sign up it will be way over 4 years since my last prescription. I was just wondering if I stand a good chance of getting through the selection process, and i will be eligible in the first place.

Any replies are appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As long as you were not prescribed steroidal inhalers, weren't admitted to hospital for the condition, successfully undertake a four week peak flow diary and you GP confirms you are free from asthma and fully more than four years free from asthma signs, symptoms & treatment, you should be OK in that respect.

The thing you need to do now is get yourself fully fit before you apply. You need to be aiming for 7 minute miles over three miles, 40-60 close-arm press-ups in two mins, 60-80 knees together sit-ups in two mins & 8-16 back-handed pull-ups straight after completing the disciplines already listed.

Good luck.