Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining the Royal Marines Reserve

********UPDATE***********

The next Royal Marines Reserve Recruit Troop, commence training in September of this year. Anyone who is thinking of joining should contact there local unit or Armed Forces Careers Office asap.

Although you wont start official training until then, you can join now and on completion of a medical and interview, be placed in Holding Troop. This is an ideal time to meet the blokes, get a feel for the Corps, ask any questions you have and work on fitness!!!

Cheers

Spenny

shiner

Midshipman
Work on your upper body strength or you won't pass half the tests.

Like someone else has said, join the RMR, get started on the training see how it goes. You may get through in 18 months but all sorts of things can happen along the way, (injury, lack of motivation causing absence & etc) that will cause delay in completion. You can always jack it in near the end if you don't want to 'go to war' .

I'm being forthright as an ex-regular RM who was the PSI Unit Sergeant Major of an RMR unit but I can tell you that the failure and 'jack it in' rate was pretty high during my time attached to the RMR especially when the weather turns nasty.

Be under no illusions, a bullet hitting you in the snotbox causes instant pain and probably death, regular or reservist. That's what you have to come to terms with.

Shiner

Cheers for your honesty Boss.

Ive heard that before actually - that the length of the course coupled with family commitments, a full time career and training on your own for the course is hard going and that lots of people opt out.

To be completely honest, its not the whole "going to war" senario that bothers me - thats what we train for and I do want to gain valuable operational experience to make me a better Marine, but at this time I am trying to build on my civilian career and I have a young family, hence my uncertainty.

I am mad keen though, so will definitely go for it and take every day as it comes.

Cheers

Alright Cold-n-wet

Congrats on passing Selection weekend mate and on taking your first step towards becoming a Royal Marine.

Definitely keep us updated on your progress throughout the course - hopefully as more people join this site and in-turn look at this thread, it will give them an idea of what Commando (Reserve) training is all about and maybe even attract a couple of new Recruits.

Good luck on your first field weekend - remember and waterproof your kit (at least three times over!!!!)

Cheers

Spenny

Floppyjocky

Badgeman
I hope nobody minds but I've moved this to this forum because I think it may be the first port of call for anyone interested in the RMR and it has lots of good stuff on it.

andyg

Midshipman
Spenny, I am currently with RMR Edinburgh and can give you face to face answers and arrange no-obligation look around. Call 07795 485266 to arrange.

andyg

Midshipman
Judging by the dates on this thread you will prob have the answers you need ref Compulsory Deployment, but to conf: RMR operate "Intelligent Mobilisation" this is a process which takes into full consideration the primary employment of any rank and his pers situation. To deploy you must have completed three phases of trg, P1 (Basic Skills and Fitness), P2 (Tactics and Cdo Cse) and Continuation Trg (incl Field Firing and further Skills). You must have notified your employer that you are a Reservist. You will have given a "statement of interest" to your boss that you are willing to be considered for a specific deployment. You will be asked to conf this later, and finally you will receive mobilisation papers.

In short, if you don't hold your hand up for deployment YOU WILL NOT BE PINGED.

The only exception is the mass compulsory mobilisation of mnes for a serious threat and they will always recall recent regular leavers first.

Check out SaBRE website for employers and employees rights to compensation or to wriggle out. www.sabre.mod.uk.

PM me if you want to discuss.

andyg

Midshipman
Yup! And they are well thought of in the regular SB. Quite rare beasts these.

Just one thing...when you post a message at 0537, you are either a milkman or shiters. As you aren't slurring, seems unlikely you're drunk, so that means you're a milkman, (or postman, lorry driver etc). This gives you a time advantage as the amount of personal fitness trg required to pass SF selection is not to be underestimated.

I believe SBS(R) get the benefit of the additional SF pay as well as standard rate, I'll try and find out....always nice to know.

andyg

Midshipman
alfred_the_great said:
http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_forces_soldier_reserve_/sbs.htm

Any snake-eaters out there want to jump in here???

Is SBS(R) continuation trg a nause to attend? What sort of additional commitment are we talking? Are you integrated into your local RMR Det, or a shadowy figure on the periphery?

PM me if you prefer to remain incognito, and I'll post non-attributable info on your behalf.

andyg

Midshipman
'Cos sf are now effectively all-of-one-badge as far as the mod is concerned. The original "parent" of a SBS operator is no longer relevant, they are all a single asset with same entry tests and lots of operational cross-over.

iceman

Midshipman
cold_n_wet said:
Expect a big fat update Sunday evening/Monday sometime.

looking forward to it 8)

is this you're second weekend away?what sort have stuff have you done in between?

thanks mate

Just found this awesome site as they say across the pond.

Just have to comment on the SBS and SAS Reserve

Long time ago I was down RAF Abingdon No1 Parachute Training School I had decided jumping out into the great blue sky would be a wonderous thing.

Having been presented/earned/whatever /my green hat twelve months earlier I was asked/persuaded to go get those wings.

A stroll round the site lead me to a hangar where screaming was heard. On entering the hangar I was confronted with a SAS chap giving his PONGO ELITE the basics of ground training.

There I was stood standing in my best suede shoes money could buy when the SAS boss asked if I could show these poor souls a forward roll from the ramp having informed the group I had previous ground training under my belt. It was a while before I learned "do not operate tongue until brain is in gear"

A perfect front left was achieved[honest would I lie] through excellent training back at base camp by the RAF PJI [Base camp being RMR Merseyside]three abreast in training performing a front roll meant it had to be a clean roll or your oppo got a size nine boot in the rear or head.

SAS type told his elite warriors "thats the way to do it". He had asked my unit beforehand Royal Marines I informed him so the corps good name was on the line . After the roll I told him I was a reservist. Turned out these elite warriors where also reservists.

On returning to the pit shared with two other bootnecks and countless cherry heads and SAS [who joined us later] my mate asked where I had been.

I have just been training the SAS I informed him.

EVERYBODY CAN BE FAMOUS FOR FIVE MINUTES!!!!

Later that week we met again he handed me a enlistment form for the SAS Reserve. Training was similar to our training difference being they parachuted into Denmark etc on training runs we walked/ran over the mountains of Wales.

For me to have become a member of SBS Reserve would have been a dream. I would stand more chance of meeting Santa Claus. Even with my green hat and wings I was still streets away from joining the elite of elite.

I am not knocking the SAS lads for one minute just asking why the SASR you can go walk into the barracks and go for a induction. SBSR you need that green hat and wings before even being allowed to apply.

Only guy I know to have ever walked straight into the frog squad after his green hat course was a ex SAS *con merchant*. Those lads on the waiting list where none to happy about this intruder in the camp leapfrogging the list. SAS type had put it round that it was SBS or stuff it and 4PARA TA was just down the road. Well he got in!!! And half a dozen green hats on a waiting list where looking to convert to red. But it never happened.

*Speed march at Lympstone and the ex SAS type was alongside carrying house bricks in his arms. Secret fitness training I thought. On enquiring he had thought of working the head and he filled his pouches with newspaper. The boss was not very happy on this discovery and he dragged him to a pile of rubble and filled his packs and arms with bricks and rubble*

Taz_786 said:
andyg said:
'Cos sf are now effectively all-of-one-badge as far as the mod is concerned. The original "parent" of a SBS operator is no longer relevant, they are all a single asset with same entry tests and lots of operational cross-over.

So why do you need previous military experience for the SBS-R but not for the SAS-R? (According to the link)

Says it all really 8)

iceman

Midshipman
nice insight

did you do any blank firing or was it just drills?

the "cancer on the troop" person was he binned or was it just a buck your ideas up wake up call?

im suprised i didnt see anyone who passed selection quitting, i guess sitting in a cold wet field will do that to you though.

lastly what happens if you have to miss a weekend exercise?

ta

P903227E

hi mate i joiined the rmr last year and have just moved into commando phase, i think its a very good experience. bloody hard work and if ur not dedicated u wont make it. eg if u miss 2 weekends out of either of the phases of training u will be binned. but go 4 it mate. after being in the TA and RM cadets before the rmr its a very real veiw of how a quality fighting force is trained and works. appoach it with an open mind and dig out blind and you can do it.

good luck simon
mandet rmr

I remember turning up for parade one evening [phase one] and this guy was told to go off parade and get a wash. He was told over the weekend the Marines in the troop had spent the weekend in a foxhole and they where much cleaner.

He was never seen again.

We had an ex guardsman who was ever so good at polishing boots and was told they where on the lookout for NCO material. Phase one he flew along.

Phase two was a different story. Poor soul handed his kit in. He was a great guy!

I recall my first ever meeting with Mr Carl Gustav up Cumbria. I was number two I am still convinced Henry Cooper pin wheeled me that day.
Needless to say after that first venture it was head down and not eyes front.

Do we still have the Carl Gustav??? There is a certain boy racer round the corner who warrants H.E.A.T. therapy.

cold_n_wet said:
did you do any blank firing or was it just drills?
Just drills, although, in the orders that i saw, "servicable ear protection" was required, so i think it could have been an option at some point. Maybe we'll get that next time.

the "cancer on the troop" person was he binned or was it just a buck your ideas up wake up call?
'twas one hell of a wake up call... it was out in front of the phase 2s (who used to be called phase 1 bravos) as well as all us phase 1s. he wasn't binned, but the troop sergeant did mention somewhere in his little rant about "switch on, or i'll switch you off... permanently" so i think binning may be on the cards at a later stage possibly.... not good

im suprised i didnt see anyone who passed selection quitting, i guess sitting in a cold wet field will do that to you though.
it does indeed. although, i think it's the phys side of things that turns people away.. there wasn't as much whining about the cold wet windyness of things as i was expecting. nobody particularly like the cold wet windyness, but just seemed to crack on and try to ignore it a bit.

lastly what happens if you have to miss a weekend exercise?
not entirely sure, and i don't plan on missing any, so it hasnt been an issue for me.. i think you can miss 1, maybe 2.. but it means you dont know loads and have missed out on loads of lessons, so lots of catching up is required. if you miss too many i'm sure they'd take you aside and tell you to stop taking the piss, then probably backtroop you... but i'll ask about that for you anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
David-19™ Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
G Joining the Royal Marines with a history of depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Seb1664 Joining the royal marines from phase 2 royal navy UPO/Careers Office 2
T Joining the Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Joining the Royal Marines with asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S joining royal marines after discharge from army Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Ninja_Stoker Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Test The Corps 21
H Royal Marines- Joining Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Joining Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Joining the Royal Navy with past mental health issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Joining Royal Navy with ACL reconstruction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Joining Royal Navy (Question ?) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D Laser eye surgery after joining the royal navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L 17 year old joining the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 7
B Considering Joining the Royal Navy post graduation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Popcorn Joining Up-Direct Entry Royal Navy Police. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Anchorarmsjoe92 Joining the Royal Navy Reserves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
R Joining Royal Naval Reserve as a single Parent Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
R Joining Royal Naval Reserve as a single Parent Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Ninja_Stoker How improve your chances of joining the Royal Navy - quicker than the rest. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M JOINING ROYAL NAVY - GCSEs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Shock Joining Royal Navy as a white male but not British by birth. The Gash Barge 15
Ageing_Gracefully Joining the Royal Navy: The Insiders' Guide Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J Joining the Royal Navy - A step-by-step account Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
E Joining royal navy with a DUI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
E Joining Royal Navy with a DUI The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
L The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
W Joining the Royal Navy at 33 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
T Forum sprog question about joining RMR from ex royal RMR 7
D Re-Joining the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
S A few questions about joining the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm The Fleet Air Arm 15
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
S Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 22
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1