Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30.

David-19™

Hey lads.

I'm interested in applying to join the RMR in the West Midlands. The question is, have I left it a bit too late and become a bit too long in the tooth? Any advice? I know the maximum age is 33, but I turn 30 in two months, so I know I'm in the older end of the age range and the process takes over a year.

Physically, I'm in good nick and I don't feel like I've aged past 20 haha. I've been weight training for over a year, not that I've managed to get as much done recently with the coronavirus impasse. I work 40 hours a week and I have a girlfriend and a 4-year-old son who I see at weekends, but I would be able to make time for all the commitments, including being mobilised for combat operations etc if the opportunity/requirement comes up.

This isn't the first time I considered this. When I finished uni a few years ago, I trained with the intention of applying to become an Officer in the RM (regulars), but other things in my life got in the way and time passes quickly. I think the Officer route in the RMR is closed to me now.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
PRMC forum is ideal for this sort of question.
My view is give it a go. It's a big commitment, but you may regret it if you don't give it a bash.
Good luck.
P.s Lifting heavy weights is not really the type of training required.

arcticfox042

Lantern Swinger
Good luck lofty, fill your boots............ if you dont do it you will regret it the rest of your life , Sir Jimmy did it quite late in life.....R.I.P Jimmy, you touched so many.............
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 14.22.46.png

Maker's Description = Marine Serre (BTW - Serre meaning closeness as in serried ranks)

1585824333482.png

Royal's Description = Hoofing but prefers slingbacks

Jackspeak = Downtrodden, Walked over - TAXI !!

David-19™

PRMC forum is ideal for this sort of question.
My view is give it a go. It's a big commitment, but you may regret it if you don't give it a bash.
Good luck.
P.s Lifting heavy weights is not really the type of training required.
Cheers for that. I searched PRMC forums and found a lot of similar threads.

Good luck lofty, fill your boots............ if you dont do it you will regret it the rest of your life , Sir Jimmy did it quite late in life.....R.I.P Jimmy, you touched so many.............
View attachment 51296
Oh, yes. So inspiring.

On a serious note, I just remembered Chris Terrill passed all the Commando tests at around 50 or so before he joined the Marines on a tour in Afghanistan?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Joining the Royal Marines with a history of depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Seb1664 Joining the royal marines from phase 2 royal navy UPO/Careers Office 2
T Joining the Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Joining the Royal Marines with asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S joining royal marines after discharge from army Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Ninja_Stoker Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Test The Corps 21
H Royal Marines- Joining Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Joining Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
W Joining the Royal Marines Reserve RMR 45
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Joining the Royal Navy with past mental health issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Joining Royal Navy with ACL reconstruction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Joining Royal Navy (Question ?) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D Laser eye surgery after joining the royal navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L 17 year old joining the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 7
B Considering Joining the Royal Navy post graduation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Popcorn Joining Up-Direct Entry Royal Navy Police. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Anchorarmsjoe92 Joining the Royal Navy Reserves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
R Joining Royal Naval Reserve as a single Parent Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
R Joining Royal Naval Reserve as a single Parent Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Ninja_Stoker How improve your chances of joining the Royal Navy - quicker than the rest. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M JOINING ROYAL NAVY - GCSEs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Shock Joining Royal Navy as a white male but not British by birth. The Gash Barge 15
Ageing_Gracefully Joining the Royal Navy: The Insiders' Guide Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J Joining the Royal Navy - A step-by-step account Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
E Joining royal navy with a DUI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
E Joining Royal Navy with a DUI The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
L The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
W Joining the Royal Navy at 33 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
T Forum sprog question about joining RMR from ex royal RMR 7
D Re-Joining the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
S A few questions about joining the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm The Fleet Air Arm 15
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 35
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
S Joining tip’s and info Joining the Royal Navy 74
TechnicPR Joining with Aspergers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
A Am I banned from joining the navy? Joining the Royal Navy 19
O Buying Life Insurance before joining... Finance & Pensions 17
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
E Joining up! Various. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
JBNVY18 Re Joining after PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
T Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Joining age, when is actually too late? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
J Joining process RFA 16
Gnasher Re-joining after 4 years Joining the Royal Navy 3
Dabs Is it worthwhile ..., joining that is? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11