Joining the RNR..

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by northerner, Apr 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

Have been reading the forums with interest as was looking at joining the RN as a Warfare Officer in the next 24months - unfortunately, I am too old (32!) I have been told and therefore can't!

However, they have directed me towards joining the RNR instead with no upper age limits (until 40?) for officers and also it'd work well with my time - I run my own business so can manage RNR time, but not full time RN for at least 24 months (though if I had got called up before that time I could go - but I doubt I would as not trained, right?)

Anyway - what would the equivalent role be in the RNR? Looking on the RN site I can't seem to find it amongst the roles, does it not exist or has it been split into seperate roles?

Thanks for your help guys! :)

2. There are numerous roles available within the RNR for officer types, however some do depend on your civilian qualifications, ie the RNR won't train you to be a surgeon but if you are already qualified then please step forward.

see linky for more info.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/royal-naval-reserve/jobs-roles/

It would also be a good idea to visit your local unit and see what the RNR has to offer you.

Regards

TH

3. Could you say in which part of the country you live (very roughly)?

4. South West (despite the username!) - Flying Fox would be my 'local'

5. Looks like they've got a Presentation Evening this Thursday:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/royal-naval-reserve/training-centres/hms-flying-fox-(bristol)/how-do-i-join/

6. Yeah I noticed that - have dropped them an email regarding tomorrow evening, cheers :)

7. Northerner,

Did you go to the open evening? Was it any good?

You are right, the age limit is 40 for the RNR unless you have previously served in the armed forces where waivers can be granted. It is also a great place to spring yourself into the full-time RN. You can even get some useful training done while you're waiting. I know several people who have done it this way.

Having said that, lots of people enjoy the flexibility of the reserves so much they never leave! Running your own business is ideal for a reservist too, no problems arranging leave to get on courses/exercises for you.

As a Direct Officer entry into the RNR you'll need to go to a unit and pick up some forms to complete and take to an AFCO who will interview you etc and eventually book you an AIB. Once that's done, the fun starts at your local unit - Flying Fox - with thursday night training and weekend courses as well as sea time and a stint at BRNC.

Just so you know, being called up is not likely within 2 years. You won't be mobilised until you are properly trained. For a direct entry officer, this will typically take around 2 years from the initial application - depending on how quickly you get an AIB date and how much training you can squeeze in of course!

Best of luck with your application.

H :)

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

'Nuff said... :thumright:

9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Just so you know, being called up is not likely within 2 years. You won't be mobilised until you are properly trained. For a direct entry officer, this will typically take around 2 years from the initial application - depending on how quickly you get an AIB date and how much training you can squeeze in of course!"

Also worth noting that currently the demand for junior officers on operations is very low. If you go officer, then you should plan on being a senior Lt to junior Lt Cdr before being of real value to the RN. Conversely if you go lower deck then you can expect to be used much more quickly.

10. Mobilisation for Officers varries according to branch, the last 2 Lts that did an SO3 Pyops Job in a hot and sandy place were both less than 2 years in as Lts!
    SO2Seaman

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Eye-stroke-Sea of Oggies and Babies' Heads?! 8O :wink:

12. Direct Entry for officers into the RNR is only available to Medics/MN officers and Ex regular officers. This is due to the time frame to get to AIB. Apart from those mentioned everyone will be entered in as ratings and the paperwork raised for AIB on joining.

13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Mobilisation for Officers varries according to branch, the last 2 Lts that did an SO3 Pyops Job in a hot and sandy place were both less than 2 years in as Lts!"

Crikey - my bad there - every person that I knew who'd gone seemed to be a lot more senior than that. Thanks for the clarification.

14. Not any more, or else they broke the rules to get me in. Apply, sort out paperwork, pass AIB, join unit as an officer cadet... pin back ears, staple mouth shut, start learning fast.

Seems to have been about 2006 that the DE route was opened up - that's when the First Lieutenant where I work suggested it to me.

15. This is completely wrong. I presume you've been out for a few years.
    Direct entry is not restricted to any branch.

16. No this is correct. Policy has changed. All RNR recruiters were informed at the last recruitment seminar. Dunkers Just PM'd you.

17. That didn't last long. Any particular reasons available as to why?

(I just hope it doesn't get made retrospective...)

18. I stand corrected.

19. Dunkers have pm'd you

20. Quite simple really.The length of time it takes from raising the paperwork in the AFCO to actually getting to AIB (No fault of the AFCO), is taking quite a long time and we stand to lose potential recruits due to to the length of time they have to wait to attend AIB. It is better that we get everyone with the exception of Medics and MN officers in as ratings and start training them. The paperwork for AIB can be raised by the unit. Waiting time for AIB is still the same, so nothing is lost, but we have got the people in the system.