Joining the RNR

Hi guys. I'm thinkning of transferring to the RNR at HMS Forward from the TA and just have a few questions:

1)What's the training like in terms of weekend training/exercises?
2) Can anyone give me some idea what's involved with Ships Protection Teams, ie: courses involved etc
3) Is it possible to carry any qualifications I earned in the TA like signals and PTI to the RNR?

Cheers

noemis

Lantern Swinger
1. Limited at the moment due travel expense restrictions.
2. OG518 - Learn how to handle L85A1, OG547 - Baton handling, judgemental package, RF and DF (Reaction Force and Defence/Deterent Force), after that you are ready for work.
3. Dunno, maybe someone else can help?

I was in 4 Para a few years ago, well quite a few actually, the major difference being that in the TA you train and deploy as a TA unit, in the RNR you can fill a vacant billet and do the job side by side with the regulars, although if you go GSS(R) you're more likely to deployed as a team. The big news though, you don't have to sleep in a ditch and sh*t in a hole! I've never looked back!!

GwaarSoldier said:
Hi guys. I'm thinkning of transferring to the RNR at HMS Forward from the TA and just have a few questions:

1)What's the training like in terms of weekend training/exercises?
2) Can anyone give me some idea what's involved with Ships Protection Teams, ie: courses involved etc
3) Is it possible to carry any qualifications I earned in the TA like signals and PTI to the RNR?

Cheers
1) realistically about 6-9 weekends are possible. in unit and down south.
2) most qual courses are 1 week duration.
3) i would think your adquals would carry over.

speak to the support manager at Forward, for clarification.
welcome aboard shipm8.

mazza_magoo

Lantern Swinger
noemis said:
2. OG518 - Learn how to handle L85A1, OG547 - Baton handling, judgemental package, RF and DF (Reaction Force and Defence/Deterent Force), after that you are ready for work.

I was in 4 Para a few years ago, well quite a few actually, the major difference being that in the TA you train and deploy as a TA unit, in the RNR you can fill a vacant billet and do the job side by side with the regulars, although if you go GSS(R) you're more likely to deployed as a team. The big news though, you don't have to sleep in a ditch and sh*t in a hole! I've never looked back!!
A2?

noemis

Lantern Swinger
mazza_magoo said:
noemis said:

A2?
I'll suffer the embaressment and not edit my post!

mazza_magoo

Lantern Swinger
noemis said:
mazza_magoo said:
noemis said:

A2?
I'll suffer the embaressment and not edit my post!
:wink: