Joining the RNR with Merchant Navy experience

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by ZCDW9, Jul 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all,

I have done a quick seach but didn't find anything that really answered my question, so please forgive me if this is a perennial topic and my search keywords were inadequate.

I am a Merchant Navy Deck Cadet in my final training phase, and I will be sitting my MCA oral examination in the coming weeks. Once I have my ticket I will continue working for my sponsor.

My last ship was commanded by an RNR officer, and this has got me thinking about perhaps joining the RNR. I was wondering if anybody might be able to provide some guidance or information.

I understand that the RNR recognise MN officers as being eligible for officer positions. In practice, how much experience does one need for this to be an option - should I clock up a few years' seatime, or maybe wait until I have my Chief Mate's ticket? Or would I be able to get in with my OOW ticket, HND and seatime to date?

Either way - joining as an officer or rating - is the RNR quite flexible when it comes to the amount of time you can give? I tend to work three months for a leave period of two months.

I would be very grateful for any information you might be able to provide.

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

3. Purple_twiglet,

Thank you very much for the link - I'm slightly ashamed that I did not find it myself.

It makes for interesting reading, particularly since Merchant Navy cadets with nine months seatime may apply for the Amphibious Warfare branch.

I might get in touch with my local unit to see how things might work.

Thanks again,