Joining the RNR: Questions

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by _Tim_, Dec 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to go into the navy full-time after university. I'm 17 and will be 18 when I get back to college, so 22/23 when I finish uni-don't know if that's relevant, jut thought i'd mention it.

I want to join the FAA after uni as a pilot. Failing that, MEO on the SF could work.

Anyway, I know that with a degree you qualify for direct entry as a lt. if you pass the AIB and BRNC. What I was wondering is this:

On another note, what branch would you recommend for someone wanting to join the FAA as a pilot? I was thinking about joining the RNR in the navigation branch?

Edit to add a new question: How long does it take from applying to training?

Edited to remove the first question.
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I would advise you to go URNU if you are looknig at a full time RN career. They are better placed to give you broad experience of the RN than the RNR.

The key difference is that the URNU is designed to make you aware of the RN and what it does (and along the way helps provide the skills to equip you to pass an AIB), whereas the RNR will see you as someone to train to fill an operational role - in other words we want people who we can put on the front line within 3-4 years.

You would have sufficient time for probably 1 deployment if you joined now, but you may find that you don't get the wider grounding to help you prepare for a full time career in the RN.
  3. Tim - your question is a bit unclear.

If you join without a degree - no degree seniority.
    If you join with a degree - you get degree seniority.

Think that's how it works.

I doubt anyone will have a sure answer regards adding reserve seniority to regular (I'd doubt that would happen). But there is a lot of upheaval at the moment regarding the relationship between the regular and reserve services - it might be a lot different in a few years.

Joining the RNR as a navigator? - What?
  4. You get no seniority whatsoever from the RNR. Once you join Dartmouth its a clean slate and you start as an Officer Cadet.

The only extra seniority you can get is from additional qualifications or relevant work experience (not RNR).
  5. Ok, thanks for the help.

I re-read the description. It's not a navigator as such, just ensuring that the ship knows where not to go in case of hazards.

The only problem with that is that it's all dependant on which university you go to, not all universities are attached to a URNU. Also, I'd like to get in and get some experience ASAP. I really need something to fill my time and all that stuff. If I'm planning on joining the RN, why not go for the RNR whilst I'm at college?
    I could always leave and join a URNU if I got the opportunity, right?
  6. Tim

Pls check your PMs.
  7. You'd be lucky. URNU places are extremely competetive, and there are always a lot more applicants than there are places. The way it works is a few people who didn't quite get a place become Associate Members (they can attend in plain clothes, but don't get paid for doing so and can't go to sea) and get the places as and when they come up throughout the year (if any places even do come up) based on their commitment to the unit.

So in answer to your question - joining the URNU outside of Fresher's Week is a non-starter.
  8. So the RNR is the 2nd best option, right?
  9. I wouldn't describe the RNR as "2nds best" it is certainly not inferior to the the URNU. But equally, there is no competition between the RNR and the URNU. They are two seperate branches of the Royal Navy with completely seperate aims and objectives.

The RNR is looking to train personall in order to be able to suppliment the RN in times of crisis.

The URNU is looking to educate high calibre udergraduates, who will potentially be the future leaders of society on the role and importance of the RN. As well as doing this however, it acts as a fantastic stepping stone for those hoping to join the RN/R and do an AIB - in fact it is so good for this that RN Bursurs get automatic membership!

Weigh up what you want, think carefully, talk to people involved in both organisations. Make an informed decision AND ENJOY WHICHEVER ONE YOU CHOOSE!
  10. I understand that they're different, and I didn't mean to make it sound as if the RNR are inferior.

What I was getting at is that the URNUs are set-up specifically to train future officers. But failing joining a URNU my best option would be to be in the RNR, no?

And what do you mean by this:
  11. Don't worry. I didn't think you were implying that, and I wasn't offended or anything - I'm in the URNU not the RNR!

And you're right, as well as training future opinion-formers, the URNUs also train undergraduates who are looking to become future Full Time Officers.

And by my last comment what I meant was that if you are accepted onto a Royal Navy Bursary Scheme (where the RN pay your tuition fees, and you serve a minimum time in the RN as a return) you are automatically given a place at an URNU, as this is a good way for you to geet a feel for the organisation that you effectively work for!

Any questions about the URNU feel free to PM or ask on here :)
  12. Ah, gotcha thanks for that.

I'm going to be applying for a university cadetship, that's for certain.

Which uni are you at and how does the URNU suit you?
  13. Tim,

Am also in the URNU; it is generally a very positive experience and extremely useful in various ways. Insofar as it is geared towards recruitment (not its *official* mission), it would indeed be useful to you.

If you were to join the RNR while at university you will be exempted from mobilisation as you are in FT education, and if you were to leave on graduation to join the RN it would effectively be a waste of their time. In agreement with Ant here - the URNU is well set up for people who are thinking about joining the RN itself.

Also - more generally about the URNU - Ant is right about getting in. It's a case of applying as soon as you get there in Fresher's week; to my knowledge they cannot recruit full members after the end of October, so the onus is on you to sort it fast when you arrive.

Good luck and hope everything works out.
  14. Purple_twiglet

URNU is not actually a recruiting organisation - its mission statement is to inform people of the RN and not actually recruit (and that is said as an ex URNU member and URNU TO). URNU is great if you want to turn up, dress up in uniform, get a bit of seagoing and sort of be in the the Naval Service without doing anything remotely operational (List 7 - SCC / URNU). The chance of an URNU mid going anywhere dangerous are zero.

The RNR is great if you want to develop a 2nd career, with the consquent frustrations and challenges that apply to any career, play the long game of training and courses and the like, and want to be part of the Naval Service and have something operational to do.

The RNR is a VERY busy organisation - we have people constantly on Ops all over the world, and consequently, when people join, the expectation is we will use them.

URNU is fundamentally about being a paid sea cadet in terms of it being about training, but no operational role.
  15. I'm assuming you've never been to Manchester/Liverpool?!
  16. Purple_twiglet

Touche! Although Brumistan had its moments to be fair ;-)

Always remember being an URNU mid on a ship on standby to go somewhere 'interesting' and being told that no I couldnt go, and stand by to be offloaded if they deployed. Very annoying!
  17. So, what you're saying is I shouldn't join the RNR?
  18. Join the RNR Tim, there are a fair number of reservists in the same situation as you.
  19. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

The only person who can make that decision is you. 20+ years ago I joined the RNR while a student. I had looked at the OTC and the University Air Squadron while in my 1st year, but was unable at that point to make the commitment - two years later (during my 2nd second year) I joined the RNR. The RNR, for me, proved to be the break from university that I needed (different social group, different outlook) while both OTC and UAS were full of the students I was trying to escape from!

Do you want to join URNU as a stepping stone to a regular commission post university?

Do you want to join the RNR to gain wider experience of life in the naval service (you'll start in the JRs mess most likely)? NB this may also influence you ultimate post-univesity career choice.

Are you looking for a life outside your university?

Answers to these, and other, questions will lead you to the decision on URNU, RNR or something else completely.

Good luck!

PS For what its worth, even if URNU existed 20+ years ago, the RNR was the right decision for me. In 1982 I intended to join the RN as an engineering officer - by 1987, I was married, working as a professional engineer in the automotive industry and a part-time communicator in the RNR with no commission. I stayed on the lower-deck for the whole of my 22 years in the RNR - this provided a valuable counterpoint to my professional engineering career. I'd still be in the RNR today had I not emigrated 2.5 years ago.
  20. Either way, I'd like to join the RN with a commission. However, the URNU units are few and small.

The RNR, though, would give me some valuable life experience along with the opportunity to learn some new skills. Hell, it might even make me realise I don't want a commission to start with.

I think I stated this already: I could still go for the AIB later on with the RNR right? Would that pass carry over to the RN?

If I join the RNR and find that it's not really what I'm looking for, I can always leave at a later date. At least I would have tried it for myself.