Joining the RNR: Questions

_Tim_

Banned
I want to go into the navy full-time after university. I'm 17 and will be 18 when I get back to college, so 22/23 when I finish uni-don't know if that's relevant, jut thought i'd mention it.

I want to join the FAA after uni as a pilot. Failing that, MEO on the SF could work.

Anyway, I know that with a degree you qualify for direct entry as a lt. if you pass the AIB and BRNC. What I was wondering is this:

On another note, what branch would you recommend for someone wanting to join the FAA as a pilot? I was thinking about joining the RNR in the navigation branch?

Edit to add a new question: How long does it take from applying to training?

Edited to remove the first question.
 

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Moderator
I would advise you to go URNU if you are looknig at a full time RN career. They are better placed to give you broad experience of the RN than the RNR.

The key difference is that the URNU is designed to make you aware of the RN and what it does (and along the way helps provide the skills to equip you to pass an AIB), whereas the RNR will see you as someone to train to fill an operational role - in other words we want people who we can put on the front line within 3-4 years.

You would have sufficient time for probably 1 deployment if you joined now, but you may find that you don't get the wider grounding to help you prepare for a full time career in the RN.
 

dunkers

War Hero
Tim - your question is a bit unclear.

If you join without a degree - no degree seniority.
If you join with a degree - you get degree seniority.

Think that's how it works.

I doubt anyone will have a sure answer regards adding reserve seniority to regular (I'd doubt that would happen). But there is a lot of upheaval at the moment regarding the relationship between the regular and reserve services - it might be a lot different in a few years.

Joining the RNR as a navigator? - What?
 
You get no seniority whatsoever from the RNR. Once you join Dartmouth its a clean slate and you start as an Officer Cadet.

The only extra seniority you can get is from additional qualifications or relevant work experience (not RNR).
 

_Tim_

Banned
Ok, thanks for the help.

I re-read the description. It's not a navigator as such, just ensuring that the ship knows where not to go in case of hazards.

Purple_twiglet said:
I would advise you to go URNU if you are looknig at a full time RN career. They are better placed to give you broad experience of the RN than the RNR.

The key difference is that the URNU is designed to make you aware of the RN and what it does (and along the way helps provide the skills to equip you to pass an AIB), whereas the RNR will see you as someone to train to fill an operational role - in other words we want people who we can put on the front line within 3-4 years.

You would have sufficient time for probably 1 deployment if you joined now, but you may find that you don't get the wider grounding to help you prepare for a full time career in the RN.

The only problem with that is that it's all dependant on which university you go to, not all universities are attached to a URNU. Also, I'd like to get in and get some experience ASAP. I really need something to fill my time and all that stuff. If I'm planning on joining the RN, why not go for the RNR whilst I'm at college?
I could always leave and join a URNU if I got the opportunity, right?
 

AntC

Lantern Swinger
_Tim_ said:
I could always leave and join a URNU if I got the opportunity, right?
You'd be lucky. URNU places are extremely competetive, and there are always a lot more applicants than there are places. The way it works is a few people who didn't quite get a place become Associate Members (they can attend in plain clothes, but don't get paid for doing so and can't go to sea) and get the places as and when they come up throughout the year (if any places even do come up) based on their commitment to the unit.

So in answer to your question - joining the URNU outside of Fresher's Week is a non-starter.
 

AntC

Lantern Swinger
I wouldn't describe the RNR as "2nds best" it is certainly not inferior to the the URNU. But equally, there is no competition between the RNR and the URNU. They are two seperate branches of the Royal Navy with completely seperate aims and objectives.

The RNR is looking to train personall in order to be able to suppliment the RN in times of crisis.

The URNU is looking to educate high calibre udergraduates, who will potentially be the future leaders of society on the role and importance of the RN. As well as doing this however, it acts as a fantastic stepping stone for those hoping to join the RN/R and do an AIB - in fact it is so good for this that RN Bursurs get automatic membership!

Weigh up what you want, think carefully, talk to people involved in both organisations. Make an informed decision AND ENJOY WHICHEVER ONE YOU CHOOSE!
 

_Tim_

Banned
I understand that they're different, and I didn't mean to make it sound as if the RNR are inferior.

What I was getting at is that the URNUs are set-up specifically to train future officers. But failing joining a URNU my best option would be to be in the RNR, no?

And what do you mean by this:
in fact it is so good for this that RN Bursurs get automatic membership!
 

AntC

Lantern Swinger
_Tim_ said:
I understand that they're different, and I didn't mean to make it sound as if the RNR are inferior.

What I was getting at is that the URNUs are set-up specifically to train future officers. But failing joining a URNU my best option would be to be in the RNR, no?

And what do you mean by this:
in fact it is so good for this that RN Bursurs get automatic membership!
Don't worry. I didn't think you were implying that, and I wasn't offended or anything - I'm in the URNU not the RNR!

And you're right, as well as training future opinion-formers, the URNUs also train undergraduates who are looking to become future Full Time Officers.

And by my last comment what I meant was that if you are accepted onto a Royal Navy Bursary Scheme (where the RN pay your tuition fees, and you serve a minimum time in the RN as a return) you are automatically given a place at an URNU, as this is a good way for you to geet a feel for the organisation that you effectively work for!

Any questions about the URNU feel free to PM or ask on here :)
 

_Tim_

Banned
Ah, gotcha thanks for that.

I'm going to be applying for a university cadetship, that's for certain.

Which uni are you at and how does the URNU suit you?
 
Top