Joining the RNR as a Officer?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by ipitythafool, Jul 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can some one give me an idea of: -

1. Length of training and what it entails.
    2. Recruitment process.
    3. Types of jobs availible.
    4. What its like in the RNR.

Through out the training period are you a rating or are you commisioned before, i m only really interested in joining as an officer and don't want to get a year down the line only to be told its not possible.

Any other relavant info would great.

Thanks all.
  2. Sorry to bring a little disappointment into your life but....

3. You might want to read through parts of this thread: as if that is true you may not even have the option.

I'm currently joining and have ticked the officer boxs on all the AFCO forms however it seems my unit might not be taking Direct Entry officers at the moment (from now on).

When originally joining my thinking was very similar to yours however having been to several drill nights, whilst waiting for my class to start, I became more undecided. From what I've been told as a Rating you get more chance to get deployed. The other thing that made me undecided was seeing the close bond the New Entry class has (both Officer/Rating entry do the first 6-8 months together). To think I'd be with a class work through the PT, weekends seeing them every week and then they all go off to Raleigh together whilst I head in a different direction on my own was making me unsure that is what I wanted.

Either way the decision may be taken out of my hands so I'm just going to see what happens when I start in September and go from there.

Appreciate that doesn't answer most (any) of your question but just wanted to show I had a very similar mindset and it can change when you see what life is like inside the unit.
  4. Can someone explain what SUY and CW stand for?
  5. So i should not bother then unless i want to potentially be a rating? AW officer appeals to me, would this make no difference when trying for DE officer?
  6. Not certain whether it applies to the RNR but SUY is Senior Upper Yardman as explained here and here:

CW was the abbreviation for "Commissions & Warrants" (now replaced by the Officers' Appointments List) in which the commissioning and appointments of officers and warrant officers were published. "CW Papers" were raised for reporting on ratings who had the potential for achieving commissioned rank and, though obsolete, the term is still used.
  7. Why?

Depends what motivates you. Why specifically do you want to be an officer rather than a rating, and what is it about the prospect of failing to make the grade that you're scared of?

Essentially if you have the confidence in your ability to get commissioned then what's to stop you trying it out. If you don't have the confidence that you can make it, and aren't prepared to take the risk, then perhaps you're right.
  8. AW officer appeals to me as i read about it on the website and it seems the most interesting, i want to be officer to lead rather than follow, quite simple really.
  9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

How about joining up as a rating, getting experience of the Naval Service and seeing how things are done (and picking up excellent leadership opprtunities on the way), seeing life on the lower deck and then going for your commission. Lower deck experience will stand you in good stead once you gain your commission and may in the long run make you a far better leader than joing up as DE.
  10. ipitythafool

Why not check out when your nearest Unit is having an Acquaint Evening and go along?
  11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Er, not all units are like President you know :twisted:
  12. They just wish they were. :wink:
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Who said that?????????????
  14. Might be worth spending some more time researching both your preferred branch, and what leadership means.

But you're right, I don't think you'd be suited to the service, so don't bother trying.
  15. no problem man, if everyone has your attitude there i m betting i m better off out of it, have a nice day.
  16. Na don't be put off by a couple of twats u might come across on the internet,everyones tittled to their own opinion,and some are better off keeping it to themselves but i guess what i'm trying to say that in life in general you'll come across all sorts of people and herdals and it's down to you alone how you deal with it or get over that problem.I've been f*cked over many times by the navy and people within it,but i've also met people who looked out for me and had my back ,so what i'm saying is if this is what You want to do then take it on the chin and don't give up.
  17. Go down to your local AFCO tell them to give u information about the RNR tell them to give you the address and phone number to your closest rnr unit,phone them up and ask for the next available open evening for you to go down there and get an application pack to join the rnr and to learn more about it and what different branches are available to you. But there has been a rule change in that in some units they don't take on officers anymore for trainig so check if that is the case for your unit.You'll have to sit an rt do the running test,medical and interview but it will probably take years for you to complite your training and become an officer due to the fact thats it's part time training.You only need to attend a few days a year for the reserves and you'll get paid for it but your employer has to agree to you joining the reserves and the fact that you will eventually be sent out on mobilisation which could be for 6 months.But there is no contact all you do is put your one months notice in if you wanted to leave.
  18. Be quiet you simpering fuckwad. The only people that would have been watching your back would have been doing so to make sure you didn't fcuk up.

And we're not just on the internet, we're in the RN/RM so funnily enough we act like this at work too.

Now, what colour is an EDBA locker again?