Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

joining the RNR after regular service

pots359v

Lantern Swinger
Hi all, considering applying to join the RNR after 22 years regular service.
Would they have me? Left as PO(C) (RS really not done the cross training) be interested in the force protection side.

Any help?

Tall_bloke

Lantern Swinger
Good God Man, they'll probably bite yer hand off! Especially if it's Force Protection that you're interested in. They are screaming out for experienced RN types, and they seem to be mainly interested in training new recruits to do Force Protection work too. Give your local RNR unit a call. They all have a recruitment office, and hold regular recruitment evenings. Not 100% certain, but youo'll probably be able to retain your RN rate. Welcome aboard matey!

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
If you haven't already left full time, get your transfer started NOW.

We had an ex regular who had major problems with paperwork. e.g. arrange to get SC transferred before you leave else you'll have to go through whole new SC check for RNR.
Get firing history sheet transferred if you want to go AWFP. If you've done the SPO Manager course they'll love you even more. Do you fancy going somewhere hot?

Welcome aboard shipmate & good luck.

A word of warning.

I left the MOB in Nov 07 and appled to join the RNR 5 months before that date. I have only just been notified that my application has been approved!

War Hero
pots359v said:
Hi all, considering applying to join the RNR after 22 years regular service.
Would they have me? Left as PO(C) (RS really not done the cross training) be interested in the force protection side.

Apply through your local unit, you need to fill in all the gash paperwork as if you were a newbie, but append your last 4 or 5 RORRs to the application. Be prepared to rattle Whale Islands cage frequently to get the stuff processed.

I'd reiterate the point about getting your clearance transferred, although as an RS your DV will probably confuse people!

The process is fundamentally broken, but if you can get it done before your terminal date you'll have fewer problems. The thing to be careful of is your pay.

FP have gaps at the senior rate level, so you might manage to position yourself to pick up your buttons reasonably soon as well.

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
onewatchtoomany said:
A word of warning.

I left the MOB in Nov 07 and appled to join the RNR 5 months before that date. I have only just been notified that my application has been approved!

I have never understood why the RN has not simplified this, so that people leaving the Regular Serviec can be simply transferred to the RNR and effectively just drafted to the appropriate unit, with their status changed from Regular to Reserve - or is that just too simple?

trehorn

War Hero
I'm sure there's lots of good reasons why it can't be made simpler.

Unfortunately i cant for the life in me think of one :frustrated:

Good on you fella.

I would suggest that you contact your local unit and go in for a looksie and presentation. By getting involved with the unit early doors there is the possibility that the recruitment/transfer will be speeded up because your unit will want you to get involved with things, on courses etc so they will be pushing to get it sorted.

Welcome aboard.

TH

pots359v

Lantern Swinger
unfortunately been outside since aug 07, so as you say will have to start from scratch. did work in NI RNR unit for a couple of years

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
pots359v said:
unfortunately been outside since aug 07, so as you say will have to start from scratch. did work in NI RNR unit for a couple of years

Coming back to Caroline then??????

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
pots359v said:

If you've been outside less than 5 years I don't think you need to start right from scratch - contact your local unit, they'll be able to give you the gospel according to current regs.

pots359v

Lantern Swinger
FlagWagger said:
pots359v said:

If you've been outside less than 5 years I don't think you need to start right from scratch - contact your local unit, they'll be able to give you the gospel according to current regs.

Yeah will give KA a bell, want to try something different this time and though Force Protection the way ahead

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Joining RNR reserves before Navy-regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Joining RNR after being Discharged From Regular Navy Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 25
F Joining the RNR while awaiting a start date as a regular? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 38
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
M Joining the RNR with dry eye? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 10
J Advice on joining the RN/RNR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Joining RNR with mild Cataract Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Thinking of joining the RNR but unsure Joining the Royal Navy 12
R Joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
B Clarification on RNR joining / training Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
T Upper Age Limit for Joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
Trainer RNR Joining Age Upped to 42 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
D Thinking of joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
E Joining RNR Diving Specialty Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
C Thinking of joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
S Is the RNR worth joining? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 109
U In the process of joining RNR (New to this Site) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
D Joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
C Joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
M MN Officer joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
P Looking at joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
P Selection and joining from RNR? RMR 1
ZCDW9 Joining the RNR with Merchant Navy experience Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
D Joining RNR as an ex bootneck Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
B Joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
Q Thinking of joining the RNR... some serious advice please! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
C Joining RNR whilst on waiting list for RN? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
B Question about joining RNR with previous army med discharge Health & Fitness 5
trehorn Ex-RN senior Rates Joining RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 18
ipitythafool Joining the RNR as a Officer? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 40
G Joining the RNR (Medway Division) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
2_deck_dash Thinking of joining the RNR Diamond Lil's 10
N Joining the RNR.. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 24
_Tim_ Joining the RNR: Questions Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
S Joining The RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
D Joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
G Joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
T Interested in joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
C Joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
Tartan_Terrier Joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3