Joining the RN while partner is serving too!

JBNVY18

Just want a bit of advice,

I am at the end of my application for the RN just waiting for a date for Raleigh. My partner is in the RN too has been for 11 years. He was fine when I started to apply two years ago......(had to have tattoos removed why it took so long).

He opened to me start this year that he didn’t want me to go regular. I thought about it and said ok I’ll join the RNR....I did went to drill nights ect. Realised I wanted this full time so expressed my feelings too him and the family and I feel like I am being pushed into a corner and being made out to be a really bad person for wanting to better myself.

We have been married for 4 years now we’re in married quarters I moved away from my home ect....but I feel like there is nothing else I want to do and this is me.

I am sticking to my guns and doing it cause I have the attitude “if it’s meant to be it will work”. People have told me this is very selfish attitude to have......I am having no doubts about joining I am doing it either way it’s my career am early 20s I have shit job and want to make something of myself.......I have also asked all the questions why why why and I just seem to get is I just don’t want you in the navy!!!!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Just want a bit of advice,

I am at the end of my application for the RN just waiting for a date for Raleigh. My partner is in the RN too has been for 11 years. He was fine when I started to apply two years ago......(had to have tattoos removed why it took so long).

He opened to me start this year that he didn’t want me to go regular. I thought about it and said ok I’ll join the RNR....I did went to drill nights ect. Realised I wanted this full time so expressed my feelings too him and the family and I feel like I am being pushed into a corner and being made out to be a really bad person for wanting to better myself.

We have been married for 4 years now we’re in married quarters I moved away from my home ect....but I feel like there is nothing else I want to do and this is me.

I am sticking to my guns and doing it cause I have the attitude “if it’s meant to be it will work”. People have told me this is very selfish attitude to have......I am having no doubts about joining I am doing it either way it’s my career am early 20s I have shit job and want to make something of myself.......I have also asked all the questions why why why and I just seem to get is I just don’t want you in the navy!!!!
If you want it, go for it.
Good luck.

WreckerL

War Hero
Plenty of serving married couples, seems to me the unsupportive ones are the selfish ones. Go for it, if you don't you'll only be grumpy and thinking "what if" for the rest of your life and blame him (justifiably IMHO).

JBNVY18

Plenty of serving married couples, seems to me the unsupportive ones are the selfish ones. Go for it.
This is what I have said we won’t be the first and won’t be the last! It’s just positive to hear it and know am not being selfish as people are telling me

WreckerL

War Hero
There was a married lady in her 30's who went through Raleigh a while ago. Her husband was serving but she always wanted to join up, as soon as their kids were old enough she was straight to the AFCO.

Husband and family supported her all the way. I think it was in a Navy News article as well.

Sumo

War Hero
This is what I have said we won’t be the first and won’t be the last! It’s just positive to hear it and know am not being selfish as people are telling me
The only selfish people are those trying to fit you into a box they think you should be in. Tell them it's not a whim, but a dream you are going to chase.